Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-28-2005, 05:24 AM

Ok so it looks like my first SVX is a problem,

Yesterday was the first day I really got to put any miles on it and I love the car but here's whats going on.
92 SVX: When in drive and you let off the gas the car seems to surge (did some searching here and I know I saw a link but I cant find it now). Other then that it shifts great thru all the gears. Next issue is it has a howl in the back that sometimes goes away but to me it sounds like a wheel bearing from the drivers seat. I put the car on my gravel driveway and floored it. Front tires only spun for a second and then it took off. Cant tell if four wheel drive works or not. I would think it would have kept spinning in front if not. My XT 4cyl does.

I'm thinking of running into Subaru dealer and see what they have to say. The shop I bought it from sells everything. I need to figure this out asap so I can get then to do something about it.

Any idea's? I really dont want this to turn into a bad mess for me.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Well,
First have the tranny filter and fluid changed, as the PO probably didn't...

Put a fuse in the FWD fuse holder in the fuse box by the battery, and see if the surging when you let off the gas goes away (plus you can see if it will keep spinning the front tires in gravel while it's in)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 AM

I will try the fuse,

Fluid looks like it was changed. It's really clean if it hasn't been. Not sure about the filter. They told me they did it all because I was questioning about trans problems. It didnt do it when I test drove it and the noise in the rear I guess I didnt pay to much attention to. I can't believe that is normal in a car like this. I could understand in my XT or wagon.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcat55371
Fluid looks like it was changed. It's really clean if it hasn't been. Not sure about the filter. They told me they did it all because I was questioning about trans problems. It didnt do it when I test drove it and the noise in the rear I guess I didnt pay to much attention to. I can't believe that is normal in a car like this. I could understand in my XT or wagon.

By installing the FWD fuse, it will eliminate the possibility of the noise in the rear being "Binding", if the noise stops with the fuse in place, it's tranny/rear diff related, if it continues to make noise, it's most likely a rear wheel bearing (as SVXes are know for eatting them).

Also, make SURE all 4 tires are a matched set....I've seen many car lots replace just 2 tires, which is a big No-No on a AWD car...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-28-2005, 06:31 AM

I checked tires before I bought it,

because if things I read on this forum. I had a list of things to look for and didnt find any issues or leaks. Tried to do my research a head of time for once. I only test drove the car for 5 miles on the freeway thou because I was on my lunch break when I bought it. Yesterday I took a small road trip for a headlight motor fo my XT (140miles round trip) and then I found all this. The car has been repainted and is in very nice shape so I may have jumped on it to soon?
I will try the fuse tonight. Think I will run it into the Subaru dealer at lunch and see if they will go for a ride with me. I have a 30day limited warranty from where I bought it saying they will pay 100% on covered which this would be plus I bought a 2yr 24000 mile used car warranty. So I should be ok, just dont want to own a shop car.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 AM

Quote:
just dont want to own a shop car.

Better hang onto your XT then

Just kidding, several member have had really good luck with thier SVX's....
But I myself have found the SVX to be THE most UN-Reliable Subaru ever produced.....that being said, it is also the coolest Subaru ever produced, and I still love them, even thought I don't currently have one...

The motor is typical Subaru, pretty much bullet proof, unless it's flogged to death, but the tranny problems, and rear wheel bearings seem to affect 75-80% of them, plus they're getting old enough now to develop all the typical Subaru leaks, Front crank seal, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, PS pump O-Ring, none of which are really hard to fix, but can be a PITA sometimes..
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-28-2005, 01:40 PM

Here is the problems,

Driver's side rear wheel bearing
Power steering pump - leaking
Muffler - loose inside and causing a resonating noise
Transmission - they want to dump fluid again and see whats in it first.

Have to wait and see what the guy I got it from says now.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
As for the surging does the power light come on when your start the car or does it flash 16 times or not at all?

It's possible the resistor behind the battery may need replacing.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Driver's side rear wheel bearing
Definitely get it replaced
Power steering pump - leaking
Simple fix, a 50 cent O-ring under the resorvior, do it yourself
Muffler - loose inside and causing a resonating noise
Most likely a heat shield, not the muffler
Transmission - they want to dump fluid again and see whats in it first.
Let them, as it can't hurt, and they should cover it with your 30 day warrentee
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 PM
One teal and One yellow

Good thing is you have found these problems out. You have warranty make full use of them asap Good luck.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-28-2005, 10:55 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
Just kidding, several member have had really good luck with thier SVX's....
But I myself have found the SVX to be THE most UN-Reliable Subaru ever produced.....that being said, it is also the coolest Subaru ever produced, and I still love them, even thought I don't currently have one...

The motor is typical Subaru, pretty much bullet proof, unless it's flogged to death, but the tranny problems, and rear wheel bearings seem to affect 75-80% of them, plus they're getting old enough now to develop all the typical Subaru leaks, Front crank seal, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, PS pump O-Ring, none of which are really hard to fix, but can be a PITA sometimes..

Sometimes I do have the same feelings...not so reliable, the visors, the window buttons, the ignition switch, etc. But the engine's strong, but my teal one has been good to me, I don't have any problems as tranny/bearing/visors/any leaks more than these 4 yrs...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-29-2005, 05:21 AM

Just waiting for Subaru dealer to fax the repair cost,

over to the dealer I bought it from. He said he will make it right plus they sold the car with a limited warranty sticker on the window and it says it covers trans, rearend, bearings, alt, power streering and a/c. Pretty much just the major stuff. Car looks really pretty sitting at home in the garage

Hey that visor thing you mention, is that the hanging down an inch or so thing? Mine was doing that and I just got a velcro strip and stuck it to the mirror cover and to the headliner. Holds it up good.

So tell me something, if these cars listed for 30,000 plus back in the early 90's, how come they have so many issues? That was alot of money back then.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Hey that visor thing you mention, is that the hanging down an inch or so thing? Mine was doing that and I just got a velcro strip and stuck it to the mirror cover and to the headliner. Holds it up good.
Be very careful or you'll pull the headliner fabric away from the backing (as the previous owner did in mine).

dcb
Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 AM

Hey thanks for the info

I found that the sticky stuff doesn't stick to the headliner very well but it does hold it up. I'm tall so I dont really need the visor that much and I always keep the sun at my back incase of a gun fight. LOL

As for the stuff that needs fixing I think I will let them do everything. They were faxed from the Subaru dealer whats wrong and I'm afraid if I fix a .50 cent o ring they will say I was messing and not fix things. Besides, thats what I bought the warranty for.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:53 AM

Awwww,

Dropped off the SVX this morning and you know what they gave me to drive... A Dodge Intreped Oh well, guess it's better then paying for a rental car. Will let ya know what it's like having a Warranty and how well it works pretty soon.