Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Weasel 22

I purchased my PS2 a couple months after its debut...its still going strong..however a friend of mine, has gone through 3 so far..the only difference in use between us...he uses his as a dvd player and rarely dusts the thing..I use mine for only games
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
I purchased my PS2 a couple months after its debut...its still going strong..however a friend of mine, has gone through 3 so far..the only difference in use between us...he uses his as a dvd player and rarely dusts the thing..I use mine for only games
i used to use it for DVD, but when i started...uh...backing up my movie collection, it only seemed to play half of them, so i finally just bought a DVD player. maybe his isn't getting proper ventilation where he has it?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
I got mine a month after they came out, have used it for DVDs since day 1, and even put a frickin hard drive in the thing and it still works fine.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
i used to use it for DVD, but when i started...uh...backing up my movie collection, it only seemed to play half of them, so i finally just bought a DVD player. maybe his isn't getting proper ventilation where he has it?
His in fact, most likely gets better ventilation than mine..mine is nestled into my entertainment center..I think it may have been just bad luck in getting inferior quality versions on his part...mine seemingly isnt going to die anytime soon..another thing I know is that he tends to leave it on for long periods of time..even when its not being used..maybe thats it
Old 05-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Only 2 sony products I don't like. Their cell phones - my mom has one and it is the most unintuitive piece of crap I've ever seen. A ton of features and memory (she has a video phone model) but not a good user interface.

And their speakers have always sucked. Boom box and home theater speakers specifically - I've never used their car speakers. They hiss constantly. Ive had sharp and panasonic boom boxes that sounded more clear at half the price. My dad and my father in law are sony fanbois so I get to hear crappy sounding sony speakers quite a bit.

I bought a complete cheapo Koss 500w dvd/surround system for $120 from best buy figuring if it broke, who cares? - it's sound quality blows away my FIL's very expensive sony theater system. He even said it himself.

OTOH - I have had great luck with sony camcorders, TV's, stereo rack components, and my ps1 is still working fine.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
eh....i'll wait for the PS3.

I'm just fine with my PS and 'Cube. Besides, the X-Box has never really done anything for me, mainly because the few games I can't get for the PS2 or 'Cube just don't interest me.

Quote:
i see a lot of Sony bashing on NASIOC for some reason, but almost every consumer electronic device i own is a Sony, and nothing has ever broken or given me trouble. TV, computer, several car stereos, receiver, DVD, VCR, CD, MD, PS1/2, bookshelf system, telephones, alarm clock, etc.
I was like that too, but I'm starting to not like Sony in general as much. First my 19" Trinitron display died (3yrs old), then my cordless phone (2yrs), and now my 32" Trinitron TV (2yrs) and my surround shelf system (3yrs) are both just starting to act really flakey. After all this, my new home theater will be Panasonic.

But, on the other hand, my PS2 has run like a champ from day one. It's a first generation unit, got it about 2mos after the were released, and it's been my primary game system and only DVD player since.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
OAnd their speakers have always sucked. Boom box and home theater speakers specifically - I've never used their car speakers. They hiss constantly. Ive had sharp and panasonic boom boxes that sounded more clear at half the price. My dad and my father in law are sony fanbois so I get to hear crappy sounding sony speakers quite a bit.
They suck, but they work forever. My current shelf system is a 120W Sony 60CD/MP3 system, which gets about 0db bass. On top of that, the EQ and the "V-Bass" turns off every time you turn the unit off. My previous system was a Magnavox that was only 75W and blew the Sony away...but my little brother decided to put his finger through one of the speakers.

The 60CD changer is nice though

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Only 2 sony products I don't like. Their cell phones - my mom has one and it is the most unintuitive piece of crap I've ever seen. A ton of features and memory (she has a video phone model) but not a good user interface.

And their speakers have always sucked. Boom box and home theater speakers specifically - I've never used their car speakers. They hiss constantly. Ive had sharp and panasonic boom boxes that sounded more clear at half the price. My dad and my father in law are sony fanbois so I get to hear crappy sounding sony speakers quite a bit.

I bought a complete cheapo Koss 500w dvd/surround system for $120 from best buy figuring if it broke, who cares? - it's sound quality blows away my FIL's very expensive sony theater system. He even said it himself.

OTOH - I have had great luck with sony camcorders, TV's, stereo rack components, and my ps1 is still working fine.
their car speakers suck. i bought 4 xplodes for my svx and they suck. sony makes a few good products and then the rest blows. walkman, cd players, dvd's alright, playstations, tv's are decent, vcr's, digital cameras are ok, and video camera's are pretty decent. the rest of their stuff sucks.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I'm not a sony fan ...sorry - overpriced and I don't think it's stuff is of good quality, not user friendly, and less compatible with other devices/formats.

But - I was a little disappointed in MTV's xbox preview. I wanted them to talk more geek about what's inside - because from what I read - it's kick ass.

I love the fact that there's no wires for controllers - I think that's the smartest thing they could've done.

All about the XBOX 360: http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/...AutGaIUrNw.php

did I mention the CPU is a BEAST! Check out this video (hiquality)

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash

Last edited by rmjjensen; 05-13-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That video tells 100x more about the system than the entire half hour show!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Viva le Revolution!

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Recluse

I said it before, I'll say it again, no XBox for me:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Recluse

More: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156760,00.html

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 05-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't bother with the absolute newest consoles when they first come out. I just bought a used PS2 and will be buying an XBOX 1 in the next couple weeks. The last console I bought was a new Dreamcast for $70 just before they disappeared.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I don't bother with the absolute newest consoles when they first come out.
I don't usually, either. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever have. I didn't get an XBox until they shipped with the smaller controller and two games.

The only reason I'll buy an XBox 360 is the new Live features. Live has, for me, turned into that 'killer app' that sells the console. But that's just me. I realize that Live users still make up a small portion of gamers - even those with XBoxes.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: