Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
Yessir, I do. My point is that it could do all this with 100hp-150hp less. That's all i'm saying.
so, as you see it, a 450hp WS6 is an appropriate amount of power for driving the streets of the metropolis of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, however, if Hans and Claudia are on the autobahn in their AMG Mercedes and want to pass a 7-series BMW or a Porsche at 175mph, 604hp is just ludicrous?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
You got that right...they are faster than you are led to think. I had a run in with one (at an undisclosed location ), and even with everything my LPE WS6 has, I was just barely able to put a carlength on him. That's one quick car for it's size.
Holy cow. Your LPE WS6 must be packing a serious punch if you out gunned an E55 AMG by one car length!!!

What kinda times are you turning at the strip? The NHRA has revised their rules now and you only need a roll cage on a 11.49 or quicker car...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-25-2005, 06:58 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Lets go out in our Supercharged C32 AMG....5 speed automatic ...but im sure i could give it a good bang for the buck

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 04-25-2005, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
Lets go out in our Supercharged C32 AMG....5 speed automatic ...but im sure i could give it a good bang for the buck
95% of the Mercedes-Benz model line uses an automatic. The SL65 just uses their latest 7spd version...

Those C32 AMG's are no slouches and can clip off low 13 second runs in the 1/4 mile consistently.

-Chike

Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Chike,
My next door neighbor has a Pro-Stock Chevele (500 CID) that runs 8.89 sec at 170 MPH - it's for sale, if you are interested. Beautiful car!!!!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
so, as you see it, a 450hp WS6 is an appropriate amount of power for driving the streets of the metropolis of Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
Never said that.

Quote:
however, if Hans and Claudia are on the autobahn in their AMG Mercedes and want to pass a 7-series BMW or a Porsche at 175mph, 604hp is just ludicrous?
Yup. Because they don't need that much to accomplish that. But by that same token, WITH that amount of power, they should also be able to do alot better than 12 sec 1/4 mile runs. If I'm paying $150k or better for a "fast car", I better not be getting outrun by stock $60k-$80k Corvette ZO6's and Vipers on ANY ground. The AMG may ride a bit nicer, but no ride quality is worth $80k alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Holy cow. Your LPE WS6 must be packing a serious punch if you out gunned an E55 AMG by one car length!!!

What kinda times are you turning at the strip? The NHRA has revised their rules now and you only need a roll cage on a 11.49 or quicker car...
Wow...this just shows the difference in opinions on "fast" cars I guess. Over on LS1tech, my car is just average. It has not been dyno tuned yet...still waiting to get my new wheels and the y-pipe done before I pay the $500 to get it all setup. Once tuned, I should be looking at about 420bhp...or about 460hp at the crank. Thus, I have not been to the strip yet, and i'm not even sure I want to subject my driveline to that kind of stress. Maybe just once . Going by other WS6's with that kind of power, I should be able to click off mid 11's with a solid launch. I've seen a couple pull low 11's with competition tires.

As it turns out, the G5X-2 cam that I am using extends torque in the upper RPM range, which makes my car pretty lethal on the highway.

Also remember that E55 is at least 500lbs heavier.

Last edited by Shadow248; 04-25-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Hater

Quote:
Yup. Because they don't need that much to accomplish that. But by that same token, WITH that amount of power, they should also be able to do alot better than 12 sec 1/4 mile runs. If I'm paying $150k or better for a "fast car", I better not be getting outrun by stock $60k-$80k Corvette ZO6's and Vipers on ANY ground. The AMG may ride a bit nicer, but no ride quality is worth $80k alone.

so the sole purpose of a car is the 1/4 mile run? every manufacturer should be tuning their cars for the all important drag strip i guess. i can assure you that 99% of AMG SL65 owners aren't fluffing their mullets and buying drag slicks. i'm pretty sure they could care less about Vipers and Vettes revving their engines next to them at redlights. how does Mercedes even sell this thing when people could buy a fastAr Corvette instead?

Old 04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
The sole purpose of this car is not to run the 1/4. It is to look pretty and have huge numbers to back it up. These cars are purchased as status symbols. That is why they are ridonkulously expensive. Yes it can be done with less power, for less money, but that isn't the point.

Someone that can afford an SL65 isn't looking for pure speed and bang for the buck. They are looking for a car that is refined, yet powerful, and worth more money than whomever is driving the Alpina 7 series next door.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95
The sole purpose of this car is not to run the 1/4. It is to look pretty and have huge numbers to back it up. These cars are purchased as status symbols. That is why they are ridonkulously expensive. Yes it can be done with less power, for less money, but that isn't the point.

Someone that can afford an SL65 isn't looking for pure speed and bang for the buck. They are looking for a car that is refined, yet powerful, and worth more money than whomever is driving the Alpina 7 series next door.
but that doesn't make sense in "Shadow's World". it won't tear up the dragstrip for cheap!

in someone else's world, fine leather, exotic wood, a smooth V12, nice ride - these might be important.

i look for AWD, performance, and nice looks in an affordable package. Corvettes, AMG SL65's, Maybachs, and Bugatti Veyrons all have their place, because they do different things for different people who are willing to spend different amounts of money to do it. huh?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
in someone else's world, fine leather, exotic wood, a smooth V12, nice ride - these might be important.
Yes...in this super-liberal, money-means-all, I-don't-care-about-you, waste-first-ask-questions-later world, those things are important. Not to me. I look at cost vs. performance (not just "speed" performance, but "quality" performance, "comfort" performance...etc). I don't give a rip if the yuppies next door think my car is high class or junk. Really, what does that get you? Maybe some gold-digging, shallow minded friends. If that's what you want, good for you.

In my mind...

...what good is a 48-valve Dual Overhead Cam, all aluminum V12 in my $250,000 Lambo if my neighbor with the $70,000 Corvette ZO6 has a more reliable, better riding, cheaper to repair, and last but not least, much faster car?! Style you say? Blah...it's all a matter of opinion. Sure Lambos look cool...big freakin deal. Exclusivity? Again this is all depends on you actually caring what other people think...

...why should I pay $160k+ for a 600+hp MB that can barely pull high 11's in the quarter? I'm not a drag racer. I mentioned before that I haven't even had my WS6 to the track yet. But it does happen to be the single most important measure of performance in this country...and until the Autobahn Co. builds a franchise over here, it's going to stay that way. Plus, just because it's European doesn't mean it can hit 200mph faster, nor does it automatically mean that it handles better at that speed either. I could put 600hp in a C6 Vette or SRT-10 Viper and have better reliability (well at least with the Vette), a reasonably comfortable ride, a better looking car (opinion of course), a cheaper to fix car, while being able to flirt with 10's in the quarter, and STILL be able to run with whatever I would come across on the American Autobahn (if it ever gets built). Oh yeah, did I forget to mention this would cost less than half of the SL65 AMG's pricetag? Plus I guarantee a modded C6 or SRT-10 would turn more heads in town than that ugly AMG...

You will never justify the price of a car by saying "That's because it's a *insert yuppy brand name here*". Reputations are a thing of the past...it's becoming a "put your money where your mouth is and show me what you can do" kinda world.

Now I have to add for those who just like the MB styling and such, that i'm not saying you're stupid for liking this car. Everybody has cars that they just love...even if they don't completely make sense. Actually that's alot like me and the 1988-1990 GTA. Why do I like it? I dunno...it's boxy, slow, and rattly. But I just love it.

Thank you for visiting "Shadow's world". Have a nice day
Old 04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Hater

Quote:
Yes...in this super-liberal, money-means-all, I-don't-care-about-you, waste-first-ask-questions-later world, those things are important. Not to me. I look at cost vs. performance (not just "speed" performance, but "quality" performance, "comfort" performance...etc). I don't give a rip if the yuppies next door think my car is high class or junk. Really, what does that get you? Maybe some gold-digging, shallow minded friends. If that's what you want, good for you.

In my mind...

...what good is a 48-valve Dual Overhead Cam, all aluminum V12 in my $250,000 Lambo if my neighbor with the $70,000 Corvette ZO6 has a more reliable, better riding, cheaper to repair, and last but not least, much faster car?! Style you say? Blah...it's all a matter of opinion. Sure Lambos look cool...big freakin deal. Exclusivity? Again this is all depends on you actually caring what other people think...

...why should I pay $160k+ for a 600+hp MB that can barely pull high 11's in the quarter? I'm not a drag racer. I mentioned before that I haven't even had my WS6 to the track yet. But it does happen to be the single most important measure of performance in this country...and until the Autobahn Co. builds a franchise over here, it's going to stay that way. Plus, just because it's European doesn't mean it can hit 200mph faster, nor does it automatically mean that it handles better at that speed either. I could put 600hp in a C6 Vette or SRT-10 Viper and have better reliability (well at least with the Vette), a reasonably comfortable ride, a better looking car (opinion of course), a cheaper to fix car, while being able to flirt with 10's in the quarter, and STILL be able to run with whatever I would come across on the American Autobahn (if it ever gets built). Oh yeah, did I forget to mention this would cost less than half of the SL65 AMG's pricetag? Plus I guarantee a modded C6 or SRT-10 would turn more heads in town than that ugly AMG...

You will never justify the price of a car by saying "That's because it's a *insert yuppy brand name here*". Reputations are a thing of the past...it's becoming a "put your money where your mouth is and show me what you can do" kinda world.

Now I have to add for those who just like the MB styling and such, that i'm not saying you're stupid for liking this car. Everybody has cars that they just love...even if they don't completely make sense. Actually that's alot like me and the 1988-1990 GTA. Why do I like it? I dunno...it's boxy, slow, and rattly. But I just love it.

Thank you for visiting "Shadow's world". Have a nice day

why should you pay $160k for a blah blah blah???? .....how about you CAN'T pay that much on a car, even if you wanted to. Mercedes doesn't really care about Shadow's World.
i better get some drag slicks for teh WRX. i was going to upgrade the brakes, but that would be stupid since 1/4 mile time is teh single most important thing in the whole wide world.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
why should you pay $160k for a blah blah blah???? .....how about you CAN'T pay that much on a car, even if you wanted to.
Yes...that's what happens when you're 24 and daddy didn't buy you everything you ever wanted. Then you actually have to pay for stuff on your own. Unfortunately, cars still cannot be considered needs. It's a tragedy, i know.

Quote:
Mercedes doesn't really care about Shadow's World.
MB doesn't care about alot of things. Including their own customers. They also do not care about building a worthwhile car, let alone one that is anywhere near worth the pricetag they put on it. All they seem to care about is building a car, then advertising the hell out of it.

I can do the same thing they do...repeat after me...

"Rich-looking people drive Mercedes Benz...therefore if I want to look rich, I must buy one. I'll buy one and people will think i'm important."

Quote:
i better get some drag slicks for teh WRX. i was going to upgrade the brakes, but that would be stupid since 1/4 mile time is teh single most important thing in the whole wide world.
So my budget go-fast-mobile is only good for drag racing...but yours is more than that? I guess the fact that mine will outrun and outhandle yours by quite a margin is negligeable?

Wow that advertising of mine must have worked better than I thought
Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx
Chike,
My next door neighbor has a Pro-Stock Chevele (500 CID) that runs 8.89 sec at 170 MPH - it's for sale, if you are interested. Beautiful car!!!!

Harry
I wish Harry. I'm in the process of closing on a house in the next 3-4 weeks. As a reult, money is tight which was one reason why I couldn't make Reading this year (other was that my trans wasn't fixed).

If I had the spare loot lying around though, I would probably pick up another project car like an '04 Forester XT or even an '04 STI (if money wasn't an issue).

-Chike

Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Wow...this just shows the difference in opinions on "fast" cars I guess. Over on LS1tech, my car is just average. It has not been dyno tuned yet...still waiting to get my new wheels and the y-pipe done before I pay the $500 to get it all setup. Once tuned, I should be looking at about 420bhp...or about 460hp at the crank. Thus, I have not been to the strip yet, and i'm not even sure I want to subject my driveline to that kind of stress. Maybe just once . Going by other WS6's with that kind of power, I should be able to click off mid 11's with a solid launch. I've seen a couple pull low 11's with competition tires.

As it turns out, the G5X-2 cam that I am using extends torque in the upper RPM range, which makes my car pretty lethal on the highway.

Also remember that E55 is at least 500lbs heavier.
Cool. Let me know about the progress of your ride.

I used to be a '95 Camaro Z28 owner in another life...

-Chike

Old 04-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Hater

Quote:
Yes...that's what happens when you're 24 and daddy didn't buy you everything you ever wanted. Then you actually have to pay for stuff on your own. Unfortunately, cars still cannot be considered needs. It's a tragedy, i know.
what the hell are you talking about? lay off teh pipe, man.

Quote:
MB doesn't care about alot of things. Including their own customers. They also do not care about building a worthwhile car, let alone one that is anywhere near worth the pricetag they put on it. All they seem to care about is building a car, then advertising the hell out of it.
what the hell are you talking about?
how many MB's have you purchased? what exactly are you basing this on? if anything, you just described GM. how about all those stupid GM commercials with the Cobalt and Corvette playing ball with each other? if i see that farging commercial one more time, i'm gonna get angry. really angry.

Quote:
I can do the same thing they do...repeat after me...

"Rich-looking people drive Mercedes Benz...therefore if I want to look rich, I must buy one. I'll buy one and people will think i'm important."
what the hell are you talking about?
"NASCAR guys drive Monte Carlos...therefore if i want to look like a NASCAR dude, I must buy one. I'll buy one and people will think i'm a NASCAR driver. goes with my mullet, too."

Quote:
So my budget go-fast-mobile is only good for drag racing...but yours is more than that? I guess the fact that mine will outrun and outhandle yours by quite a margin is negligeable?
your go fast mobile won't handle anything when its sitting in the garage all winter. your go fast mobile also won't carry four passengers in comfort. your go fast mobile probably doesn't handle very well in the rain with wide tires and RWD. i don't see why you must continually compare your TA to my cars. i don't consider myself a racecar driver. do you? do you go to the track very often? do you lay rubber at every redlight, and take every turn at high G's? i like my cars for what they do all year long and in any weather. i'd like to have a fun weekend car, but my time doesn't allow for maintaining an extra car. one daily driver for me, one for the wife. besides, i'd rather use my extra cash for something i'll get even more use out of - a nicer house. my cars do pretty much what i want as far as performance and utility. sure, im gonna spend a little upgrading the LGT, but i'm not gonna go nuts. why? i don't race it. its a daily driver. its a very *fun* daily driver, but i'm not going to kid myself into thinking i REALLY need to swap out the turbo, get bigger injectors, $5000 brakes, headers, and a custom dyno tune. many people will, just for bragging rights on teh internet. many people race, or have the money to blow on frivolous stuff like this, but i don't. i imagine 90% of the people that mod their cars heavily aren't even able to use all that performance very often. i'm very happy with my cars. have fun in Shadow's World.

Last edited by Landshark; 04-25-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: