How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Jedi Member

Timing Belt/water pump (now a nightmare)

Well, I needed a special tool for the camshaft sprocket and after breaking my brand new strap wrench on it, I went down to my Suby dealer to ask to borrow theirs. The tech said I could borrow it but that it was a piece of crap and allready bent. I've tried breaking the nut twice now and I'm getting extremely fustrated, especially since I left my brand new cell phone on my bumper on the way to the dealership.

I'm thinking three options are left right now, one is to grap my Mapp gas torch and see if I can heat up that nut, another is to beef up the "special tool" with some steel (neighbor has the welder), and the last one is to find some steel and machine myself something.

I was doing so well too... I had everything off within 40 mins except for that goddamn sprocket. I've also tried just pulling off the waterpump without moving the back half of the timing belt cover but it's not budging at all.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 04-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What about the breakerbar/starter technique?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
the torch wont help. go wth making a tool.
the water pump might need a little prying with a screwdriver to break it loose.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
also use a longer handle on the breaker bar to get more leverage.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 04-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Jedi Member

Yeah, I've got about 3ft. of extension on my breaker bar, hence why the strap wrench broke.

Now I've just gotta wait 'till somebody with access to a welder gets off work...

Oh yeah, the breaker bar/starter thing worked great on the center pulley... anyone think I could try putting the timing belt back on, then hooking the breaker bar up to the camshaft sprocket?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Craig, I hope that you get this before you totaly go nutzzzz. You do not have to remover the cam sprocket to get the water pump off. I did it and there was a 10mm bolt that was all but hidden behind the rear t cover. I can not remember were. It is a royal PITA but it can be done. I too had the same problem with the sprocket.
It took two people to due, one hold the cover out of the way and the other removes the bolt, little turns at a time. It took me about 40 min to an hour to do a water pump. Try to stay calm and it will work.

here is proof.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Here's a picture of the tool I made for holding the cam pulleys in place. It is a handle from a 1/2" drive craftsman ratchet and a small piece of metal with holes drilled through and bolts / nuts tightened on. I stick it inbetween the spokes on the pulley to hold it in place

Old 04-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagstaffSVX
Oh yeah, the breaker bar/starter thing worked great on the center pulley... anyone think I could try putting the timing belt back on, then hooking the breaker bar up to the camshaft sprocket?
Don't try it. The belt could jump a tooth.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to freak customs Send a message via AIM to freak customs
i agree with SVX-FF. i did it without removing the gear... just be patient and it will work for you.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:05 PM
deruvian

Well, I think that everyone is making this much more complicated than it needs to be. I didn't have to make a custom tool or borrow/buy one of Subaru's at all. And I had to do my water pump about three times.

The first time, I used my old timing belt as a strap wench. I wound it around the cam pulleys, and "locked" it to itself with a small C-clamp. I then pulled the timing belt under the fender/wheel area, and held on real tight. This will only work on the driver's side though, as on the passenger side you will be moving the breaker bar in the incorrect direction to keep leverage on the old t-belt.

The next few times, I got smarter. I left the t-belt on the engine, snuck under the car, and put a large slotted screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel. It is possible to fit a large one on the teeth, and then wedge it in one of the various frames in that area. You can then undo the cam pulley quite easily, as the entire engine is stopped. Take out the screwdriver, do what you need to do, put the t-belt back on when you're done, and then put the screwdriver back in (but on the opposite side). I think the screwdriver that I used was about 10 - 12 inches long.

Quick, easy, free... What more can you ask for? Oh, and the flywheel trick will be VERY useful when you are trying to put the front crank pulley back on. It was easy to get it off with the starter trick, but now how will you get it back on? Use the screwdriver/flywheel thingy man, trust me.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 PM

Lightbulb A word to the wise...

Please remember to inspect the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer: depending upon the miles you have you may want to consider replacing it before it fail$

Cheers! (and "Good luck!")
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Jedi Member

Well, I got lucky in that my parents have an extra car that they were willing to let me borrow for a few days. The night I got stuck on the project, a snow storm rolled in and I've been working 10-8 shifts since then. I finally got the water pump out but not after breaking the rear timing belt cover. It's got some epoxy on it now and I'm pretty sure it'll stay put.

Now I've got the car jacked up and I'm gonna stick a screwdriver in the flywheel to crank that pulley back down. That tool looks really cool though Matt, alot better than the POS that Subaru provides.

I think the most fustrating part was that I left my brand new cell phone on the bumper of my parents car when I took it down to the dealership.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Jedi Member

Wait, the flywheel is the thing on the tranny that's got all those little teeth on it right? How do I stick a screwdriver in there?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagstaffSVX
Wait, the flywheel is the thing on the tranny that's got all those little teeth on it right? How do I stick a screwdriver in there?
Yes, that is it. It is possible to get the end of a slotted screwdriver to hold the flywheel still by placing the slot in between two of the teeth. If you take your time, go slow, and get slightly imaginative, you can work the screwdriver in there in a picture-puzzle style... You just need to have the slotted end of it on the passenger side of the flywheel, jammed in there between the flywheel and some random frame-like item there.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Flywheel = torque converter on the 4EAT. You can't easily jam the flexplate