Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

View Poll Results: How likely are you to purchase a new stylin bodykit
Would definitely purchase 6 0.30%
Most likely purchase 5 0.25%
Would consider puchasing 16 0.79%
Up Yours!! I like it stock! 2,000 98.67%
Voters: 2027. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 PM

New Body Kit for SVX

OK all,

I've purchased a second SVX in Febuary which is currently undergoing a manual swap. The ECUtune chip should be here soon as well as a used set of tail lights and interior panelling which i will be attempting to mod... plus many other mods. It's gonna take a while.

After checking and rechecking the SVX's styling i've concluded that it's front and rear bumpers are not low enough to the ground and don't seem to extend out far enough. It needs a bodykit! And i'm not willing to spend thousands on a japanese kit.

Originally i was going to have a kit chopped for my car but then remembered that there's money to be made from you guys. After taking to a local ground effects shop that my shop deals with, here is what i found out. It will cost me approx $5000 to make a mold of a nicely detailed kit (nice curves and openings) not a basic looking alternative to stock. Some kits i've mentioned were Vielside, Blitz, and KStaff's, further discussion required).

What i'd like to know from y'all are the styles of kits you'd like to see on an SVX. Please mention all sides.

Also like to know how many of you would seriously be interested in purchasing a kit. I would have to sell about 8 kits to break even.

Price per kit will be around $1200 plus $200 for shipping. Prices are in CDN$, yes i'm in Canada (Toronto). There should be no need to worry about duties (NAFTA-free trade).

I need as much feedback as possible so start typing guys and gals. Please respond with kits you'd like to see.
Thanks for the help.

Also spoke to local coilover manufacturer about a custom system for my SVX. It will cost approx. $3000 for a prototype and will sell for around $2000 CDN. Coilover will be mono tube gas filled.

I just want the best for my baby.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilo
OK all,

I've purchased a second SVX in Febuary which is currently undergoing a manual swap. The ECUtune chip should be here soon as well as a used set of tail lights and interior panelling which i will be attempting to mod... plus many other mods. It's gonna take a while.

After checking and rechecking the SVX's styling i've concluded that it's front and rear bumpers are not low enough to the ground and don't seem to extend out far enough. It needs a bodykit! And i'm not willing to spend thousands on a japanese kit.

Originally i was going to have a kit chopped for my car but then remembered that there's money to be made from you guys. After taking to a local ground effects shop that my shop deals with, here is what i found out. It will cost me approx $5000 to make a mold of a nicely detailed kit (nice curves and openings) not a basic looking alternative to stock. Some kits i've mentioned were Vielside, Blitz, and KStaff's, further discussion required).

What i'd like to know from y'all are the styles of kits you'd like to see on an SVX. Please mention all sides.

Also like to know how many of you would seriously be interested in purchasing a kit. I would have to sell about 8 kits to break even.

Price per kit will be around $1200 plus $200 for shipping. Prices are in CDN$, yes i'm in Canada (Toronto). There should be no need to worry about duties (NAFTA-free trade).

I need as much feedback as possible so start typing guys and gals. Please respond with kits you'd like to see.
Thanks for the help.

Also spoke to local coilover manufacturer about a custom system for my SVX. It will cost approx. $3000 for a prototype and will sell for around $2000 CDN. Coilover will be mono tube gas filled.

I just want the best for my baby.
As strange as it may sound from someone in the desert, if it's too low, it will catch on the flood channels in our roads. (Think sand... no place for water to go, hence flood problems or extensive channels.) For some areas, it just can't go too low, or it becomes an undriveable show piece. I'm thinking areas like Phoenix would have the same concerns.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-24-2005, 06:45 AM

Yes, the Svx is fairly low as it is, thanks to the H6. I've compared side by side to many vahicles and the SVX is almost always noticeably lower.

However i'm not thinking inches from the ground. What i'm certain of is the body would be much more attractive if it had a bit of a wider look and extended out to at least be flush with the outer ends of the bumper instead of tappering inwards at the bottom.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
i wish i had the ability and skill to make a mold of the K-Staff bumper. That in my opinion is the best looking front bumper for the svx. I may just go and buy the thing what's a $1000 right!!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
i wish i had the ability and skill to make a mold of the K-Staff bumper. That in my opinion is the best looking front bumper for the svx. I may just go and buy the thing what's a $1000 right!!

I think it's a pretty good price for a custom kit.
Still need more feedback as to what styles people would prefer.

If the KStaff style wins out, the mold would not be exact since we do not have a physical sample like we do with the domestic brands. It would be very close though.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:10 PM
jjcobra

If I could afford it...and had an SVX I would definitly part with some hard earned money for a body kit as long as it looks good. I can't say which designs i like best seeing as how i don't even know what would sort of fit an svx. I guess I'd need links to pictures to judge.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

The K satff is only the front bumper sadly (I also like it). But as is I can barely get my jack under the car without a flat so If anything I will need a new jack if I buy a lowering set-up
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 AM

Pics

Hhmmmmm. I'm wonderin how many voted "i like stock" just to say "up yours"

Judging from previous posts on this subject there seemed to be more interest, but so far not too much feedback.
I tried to photochop some pics last night, but those skills made everything look bad.

Here are some links to pics so y'all know what i'm considering.

http://www.visracing.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1085 - a.k.a. Blitz

http://www.visracing.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=133

I like this one: www.blitz-na.com/gallery6.htm

I couldn't find the Kstaff bumper.

C'mon all, i need more feedback.
I will be getting a kit done either by chopping my bumpers or making a mold, but if i see enough interest and get enough ideas, i will make a mold.

Thanks, and don't forget to vote.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
You can still find better, continue with a deep search before anything you do. I have a very big Library concerning this issue, if you need any help, i will choose the best pics and send them to you

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:12 PM
SVX Appeal

I also think that's a pretty good price for such a one-off body kit, however what would this kit include exactly? Front and rear bumpers alone are not a body kit. When I think body kit, I also think of rocker panels, front and rear quarter panels, trunk, hood, spoiler, and door panels. What did you have in mind?

I'd like to see body kit to replicate the SVX prototype, with maybe an extra six inches of width. My primary reason for wanting the extra width is to accomodate front wheels with more positive scrub without resorting to substantially narrower wheels. In fact, the interior bead offset would remain the same, while pushing the exterior bead offset outwards a couple inches, thus the wheels would be wider. I'd like to expand the rear wheel track so that it's the same width as the front, if not a little wider. I'd also like the quarter panels to better guard the rocker panels against mud from the tires, so those could also be just slighty wider. Although I generally like the dimensions of the prototype, I'd like to shorten the front and rear of the car slightly and trim the bumpers even more. You know those BMW proportions where the wheels are really quite close to the ends of the car? That's what I'd like to achieve.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
When I hear full body kit, I conjur up images of the riced-out Hondas and Eclipses in my town. I wouldn't want anything remotely like this for two reasons. One is that its not my style, and two, the SVX has pretty good aerodynamics (its steady as a 3300 lb rock at 130 mph). I would worry that a full body kit would give me a rice car with reduced high speed stability. With that said, I'm not against some mild body mods. In terms of looks, I think the front bumper could extend down another inch (but no more than an inch). A molded hole in the right side of the front bumper for ram-air inlet would be nice too. I wouldn't touch the rear bumper or wing though. Both look fine to me. I could do with a side rocker panel kit. Stevesby is working on one now, but he's been to busy too complete it.

Here is the K-Staff bumper:

http://www.k-staff.net/SVX-rifre/Fspo.htm

Its way too rice for me.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Personally, I'm trying to keep my SVX very clean looking so I'm planning on only adding a simple lip spoiler.

However, I would be interested in some sort of wide-body kit and/or something similar to the prototype SVX.

Also, for your reference, here's a pic of the Flatt-Racing half-spoiler. If I wanted to spend $1000+, I'd get it.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
jjcobra

the kstaff front bumper looks to boxy for my taste, and I shudder to imagine the damage of going over a larger than normal speedbump. I dont mind the blitz personally, the Vis ones would be out cause I'll be damned if my future svx would look like any other honda civic thatsomeone got a kit for. Sounds like most of us like the idea of a prototype replikit.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
I also think that's a pretty good price for such a one-off body kit, however what would this kit include exactly? Front and rear bumpers alone are not a body kit. When I think body kit, I also think of rocker panels, front and rear quarter panels, trunk, hood, spoiler, and door panels. What did you have in mind?

I'd like to see body kit to replicate the SVX prototype, with maybe an extra six inches of width. My primary reason for wanting the extra width is to accomodate front wheels with more positive scrub without resorting to substantially narrower wheels. In fact, the interior bead offset would remain the same, while pushing the exterior bead offset outwards a couple inches, thus the wheels would be wider. I'd like to expand the rear wheel track so that it's the same width as the front, if not a little wider. I'd also like the quarter panels to better guard the rocker panels against mud from the tires, so those could also be just slighty wider. Although I generally like the dimensions of the prototype, I'd like to shorten the front and rear of the car slightly and trim the bumpers even more. You know those BMW proportions where the wheels are really quite close to the ends of the car? That's what I'd like to achieve.

Here's what i first considered; front & rear bumpers, side skirts, spoiler, and a lip for the wheel wells (like the wheel wells in the blitz link above) However, i decided to stick with the most common pieces; two bumpers and skirts. Anything else would be a personal project.

I don't think shortening the svx's front and rear end's would suit the car. The design of the svx is lower and more smooth all round than a bmw's which is fairly tall with a squared shape.
When i see the svx from a distance, half the time it looks to be kinda of stubby because of a sharp incline where the windshield and rear window meets the body which makes the hood look short. I believe that extending the front and rear ends would significantly add to it's areodynamic look and fix the "stubby" problem.

Thanks to Bordeau for the pics.
Between kstaff's and Flatt's bumpers, Flatt's seems to have more character. Extending the ends of the sideskirts upwards at the wheel wells and tappering them off where the door guards are installed would give the car a wide body look. As long as it is flush to the widest part of the car. that is what the prototype widebody is? or did i miss something.

Great response so far guys.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilo
Hhmmmmm. I'm wonderin how many voted "i like stock" just to say "up yours"

Thanks, and don't forget to vote.
I voted I like stock just to say up yours......