Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 11-20-2001, 12:57 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: seattle area meet

Quote:
Originally posted by redroadster
The '94 Ebony Pearl LSi likes to come out to play on nice days. If somebody sets a date, we might show up.

We use to be Miata clubbers (hence the old "redroadster" handle) and that club has many tours, rallies and something they call "drive & dinner". One member plans out a starting point where all the cars meet, a driving route (with emphasis on twisty turns, scenery and exposure to the general public for showin' off purposes; nothing like a line up of great single-marque cars to impress) and a destination restaurant at the end of the drive (pizza is usually good enuff). Pretty good fun. With that club, we ran Vashon Island, the backroads of Snohomish County, Whidbey Island and others.

We'll be watching to see if a meet date is set!
J & J
'94 Ebony Pearl LSi
Washington plates "SVX"

Gentlemen, if you can make it happen, you will never regret, nor forget the experience.

When I started "cheerleading" for the first Reading meet (April 2000), I thought I'd be lucky to get 10 cars together. Even after 20 had signed up, I hadn't held out hope of more than ten. Even so, I made the 14 hour trip (in 16 hours -- I got lost + PA turnpike was a mess). We didn't get into the motel until 3 A.M. and I was the only SVX in the parking lot. The meet was scheduled for 10 AM in the morning, just around the corner from the motel. I was too tired to be discouraged at being the only one there after travelling so far (I hardly ever see another SVX where I live).

The alarm went off at 8 AM. The wife and I got up, she ironed while I showered. I didn't know what to expect. I would've been happy if there were only three or five cars to show up, but, I was hoping for more.

After we got dressed, we took the elevator downstairs and got some breakfast, around 9:30. At about 9:50 I decided that we should head over to the meet site. I grabbed a "to go" coffee and we headed for the parking lot.

As I approached the front doors, I looked out at where my car was parked. There was another SVX parked on the left . . . another on the right . . . then another, another, another --- I counted 17 SVXes! Now, I'm not particularly an emotional guy, but, when I saw those cars stretching across that parking lot, my eyes welled up with tears ( Damn! I'm tearing up now, just writing about it).

Before all was said and done, there were 23 SVXes. We were haveing such a great time in the parking lot, no one really wanted to leave for the tour. But, we finally lined up (what a glorious sight) and pulled out, single file for our tour.

We wound our way across the scenic Pennsylvania countryside, through small villages where jaws would drop after seeing the fifth car in line, then, people would break out into laughter as, one by one, the 23 car line slowly wound its way through stopsigns and around tiny town squares. After a few stops for photo ops, we wound our way back into town to a TGI Fridays. We had a wonderful dinner, socialized, and I was finally (after several months creating "relationships" via the internet) convinced that SVXers were some of the greatest folks on earth.

As the sun went down, we had been gathered in the parking lot for a long while. No one wanted to split up. We could've talked forever. People finally began trickling out of the parking lot -- some had things to do -- some needed to make the drive home -- some just wanted to get on with the party -- Me? my thera-flu had worn off and I was crashing hard, though, I didn't want to leave. I headed back to the motel with one of the silliest grins plastered on my face. It had been one of the highlights of my lifetime.

The next morning, it was breakfast and goodbyes for those who'd stayed. It was hard to leave. It was one great weekend.

So, yes, if you can make it happen, do it. It'll be one of your fondest memories.

(Sorry for the long post, but words just don't do it justice. No matter how many you use. Make it happen, guys. )
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 11-20-2001 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:16 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thanks Randy

Thanks for you good thoughts and the story - almost choked me up reading it. It's nice to see our little corner of the world isn't forgotten by those of you over where all the "action" is.

Just think, get a few local meets under our belts, some relationships built, and there could be a strong NW Contingency headed for the 10th Anniversary Meet!!

Man, I can see it now..... It starts out small, yet impressive, with 5 or 6 SVXes leaving Seattle. Like a snowball rolling downhill, the convoy continues to gain mass as it heads East, picking up SVXes in Eastern WA, ID, UT..... then in CO the rumbling mass meets up with still other convoys from CA, OR, AZ - all over the West - to form a mighty force roaring into Indiana.

Reminds me a little of that old trucker/CB song "Convoy". And if Brian brought his Vanagon VX we would even have the micro bus like in the song! All we'd need would be the 11 long-haired friends of Jesus!

OK, it's my Friday with a 5 day weekend ahead, that's my excuse. I also apologize for all you geography whizzes out there, the above state-to-state trip was planned in my head with no map so I could be off on the feasibility of that route!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-27-2001, 07:54 PM
balser

Thumbs up Greetings...

Hey fellas. Ive been putting it off, but I think Im on board here finally. Would love to do a get-to-gether goen and Im actually the "dude" MacGyver was talken about. I do know of a few other SVXers that would like to take part (and have their phone #'s) so I think I can lend a hand in getting something together. Ive been involved in one SVX meet in Seattle last year where 5 of us showed up. Only thing is we didnt go for a drive, which I feel is a must do next go around. Have some mods that you may like to take a look at. More to come, wanna make sure I know how to post this.
-Balser
Old 11-27-2001, 10:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Greetings...

Quote:
Originally posted by balser
Hey fellas. Ive been putting it off, but I think Im on board here finally. Would love to do a get-to-gether goen and Im actually the "dude" MacGyver was talken about. I do know of a few other SVXers that would like to take part (and have their phone #'s) so I think I can lend a hand in getting something together. Ive been involved in one SVX meet in Seattle last year where 5 of us showed up. Only thing is we didnt go for a drive, which I feel is a must do next go around. Have some mods that you may like to take a look at. More to come, wanna make sure I know how to post this.
-Balser

Balser! Long time, no see. Glad to see you here. I sure wish you guys weren't so far away. I'd love to meet up witchyas!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-28-2001, 09:04 PM
tsmilot

Hi, I'm in Richland, WA, and would be interested in a meet whenever it happens. Has anyone in the area installed a turbo? I'm considering it, probably about the time either the engine or transmission wants replacing.

Tim
Old 11-28-2001, 11:34 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Thanks Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Thanks for you good thoughts and the story - almost choked me up reading it. It's nice to see our little corner of the world isn't forgotten by those of you over where all the "action" is.

Just think, get a few local meets under our belts, some relationships built, and there could be a strong NW Contingency headed for the 10th Anniversary Meet!!

Man, I can see it now..... It starts out small, yet impressive, with 5 or 6 SVXes leaving Seattle. Like a snowball rolling downhill, the convoy continues to gain mass as it heads East, picking up SVXes in Eastern WA, ID, UT..... then in CO the rumbling mass meets up with still other convoys from CA, OR, AZ - all over the West - to form a mighty force roaring into Indiana.

Reminds me a little of that old trucker/CB song "Convoy". And if Brian brought his Vanagon VX we would even have the micro bus like in the song! All we'd need would be the 11 long-haired friends of Jesus!

OK, it's my Friday with a 5 day weekend ahead, that's my excuse. I also apologize for all you geography whizzes out there, the above state-to-state trip was planned in my head with no map so I could be off on the feasibility of that route!
Troy,
I've often envisioned an overhaead shot of the U.S. on the days before the 10th Anniversary meet, looking somewhat like an ant farm, only the ants are SVXes, and the "Queen's Chamber" is Lafayette, IN. and all the ants are headed one way into the chamber from all points. Dang, that would be impressive.

When my wife and I were coming back from the Midwest Meet in Rockford, IL, there had been a large Corvette gathering in Bowling Green, and all the 'Vettes were returning home. You couldn't go a mile without seeing at least one. All years, all styles, on trailers, being driven -- it was amazing. Imagine people seeing this bunch of cars that they don't know what the hell they are -- they just know they look alike. Anybody wanna wish they have a nickel for every time the phrase, "what in the hell is that?" is uttered, prior to the 10th Anniversary meet?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-29-2001, 09:52 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Thanks Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Troy,
I've often envisioned an overhaead shot of the U.S. on the days before the 10th Anniversary meet, looking somewhat like an ant farm, only the ants are SVXes, and the "Queen's Chamber" is Lafayette, IN. and all the ants are headed one way into the chamber from all points. Dang, that would be impressive.

When my wife and I were coming back from the Midwest Meet in Rockford, IL, there had been a large Corvette gathering in Bowling Green, and all the 'Vettes were returning home. You couldn't go a mile without seeing at least one. All years, all styles, on trailers, being driven -- it was amazing. Imagine people seeing this bunch of cars that they don't know what the hell they are -- they just know they look alike. Anybody wanna wish they have a nickel for every time the phrase, "what in the hell is that?" is uttered, prior to the 10th Anniversary meet?
Man this is gonna be cool! Gotta find a way to get me there!

Old 11-29-2001, 09:56 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: Re: Thanks Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Imagine people seeing this bunch of cars that they don't know what the hell they are -- they just know they look alike. Anybody wanna wish they have a nickel for every time the phrase, "what in the hell is that?" is uttered, prior to the 10th Anniversary meet?
we'd all be rich
Old 11-29-2001, 09:56 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Welcome Tim!

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmilot
Hi, I'm in Richland, WA, and would be interested in a meet whenever it happens. Has anyone in the area installed a turbo? I'm considering it, probably about the time either the engine or transmission wants replacing.

Tim
It's great to welcome yet another Washington member to the network! There seems to be some solid interest in a meet this time so we will definitely work on getting something going.

Old 12-17-2001, 11:02 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Still thinking about a meet....

Just checking in to say the idea of a Northwest meet has not been abandoned. It looks like there is a lot of potential interest. I think it would be best to wait until after the new year when everyone is less busy and then start thinking seriously about this.

Old 12-17-2001, 02:24 PM
bansheemyk

hey, i'd be in for a seattle meet or something, hopefully after the first of the year though, i need to get a new tranny... any suggestions for a good svx tranny shop in the northwest? preferebly in snohomish county??? i have found one down in kent that puts a lifetime warrenty on the tranny, but i live near everett, and thats a heck of a distance to tow the car... any suggestions would be great... i hope to get it done around the first of the year... then i'll be set for a meet... take care...

Mike
Old 12-17-2001, 03:35 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by bansheemyk
hey, i'd be in for a seattle meet or something, hopefully after the first of the year though, i need to get a new tranny... any suggestions for a good svx tranny shop in the northwest? preferebly in snohomish county??? i have found one down in kent that puts a lifetime warrenty on the tranny, but i live near everett, and thats a heck of a distance to tow the car... any suggestions would be great... i hope to get it done around the first of the year... then i'll be set for a meet... take care...

Mike
Hey Mike! I grew up in Marysville/Arlington, so not far from Lake Stevens. Sorry to hear about the tranny. Mine went out a couple days before Christmas last year. So I was getting it replaced about the same time you will be this year. When the dealer started taking it apart I had the pleasant surprise to find out it was still under warranty. So it didn't cost me a dime! Scary part is that means it was already the second tranny! But I had only had the car for 7 months at that point so I blame it on the previous driver. I try to treat my SVX much better.

Anyway, if you haven't already checked, and you haven't had your SVX for more than 2 yrs/20,000(?) miles, you might want to call Subaru quick just by the chance it might be under warranty.

A tranny with a life time warranty sounds pretty amazing, especially for the SVX. I haven't seen anyone mention that before. It might well be worth it, but of course there could be all kinds of exceptions to the warranty. Where they would come up with an excuse not to cover it for whatever reason. I'm no expert though, and I would agree that is a long way to tow it. I'm in Redmond and that's still too far!

FYI I had my new remanufactured tranny put in at Carter Subaru in north Seattle. They did a good job and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable of the SVX. If you were going the Subaru dealer route though there is probably a place closer to Everett. I have all my work done now at Smart Service Inc. in Shoreline/Mountlake Terrace. Technically that is Snohomish County. The owner and the two other techs are all Subaru Senior Master Techs that had all worked at dealers before. Being a independent shop, they really get to know you and your car personally and the prices are better. Also they are willing to do things a dealer won't, like tranny cooler installs, etc. The downside is they can't do everything, and I'm not sure if they do tranny rebuilds/replacements. But for anyone in the area checking this out it's a good reference. www.smartservice4u.com 206-417-0880 If anyone goes there tell Mike (Corbin, the owner) that Troy Billett sent you. I don't have a deal with them but for this blurb I just gave I deserve a discount!!!

Old 12-17-2001, 04:19 PM
bansheemyk

Quote:

Hey Mike! I grew up in Marysville/Arlington, so not far from Lake Stevens. Sorry to hear about the tranny. Mine went out a couple days before Christmas last year. So I was getting it replaced about the same time you will be this year. When the dealer started taking it apart I had the pleasant surprise to find out it was still under warranty. So it didn't cost me a dime! Scary part is that means it was already the second tranny! But I had only had the car for 7 months at that point so I blame it on the previous driver. I try to treat my SVX much better.

Anyway, if you haven't already checked, and you haven't had your SVX for more than 2 yrs/20,000(?) miles, you might want to call Subaru quick just by the chance it might be under warranty.

A tranny with a life time warranty sounds pretty amazing, especially for the SVX. I haven't seen anyone mention that before. It might well be worth it, but of course there could be all kinds of exceptions to the warranty. Where they would come up with an excuse not to cover it for whatever reason. I'm no expert though, and I would agree that is a long way to tow it. I'm in Redmond and that's still too far!

FYI I had my new remanufactured tranny put in at Carter Subaru in north Seattle. They did a good job and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable of the SVX. If you were going the Subaru dealer route though there is probably a place closer to Everett. I have all my work done now at Smart Service Inc. in Shoreline/Mountlake Terrace. Technically that is Snohomish County. The owner and the two other techs are all Subaru Senior Master Techs that had all worked at dealers before. Being a independent shop, they really get to know you and your car personally and the prices are better. Also they are willing to do things a dealer won't, like tranny cooler installs, etc. The downside is they can't do everything, and I'm not sure if they do tranny rebuilds/replacements. But for anyone in the area checking this out it's a good reference. www.smartservice4u.com 206-417-0880 If anyone goes there tell Mike (Corbin, the owner) that Troy Billett sent you. I don't have a deal with them but for this blurb I just gave I deserve a discount!!!
Old 12-17-2001, 04:34 PM
bansheemyk

Quote:

thanx Troy, i might give them a call, i also have an oil leak and my rear bearings need to be replaced so that sounds like a good place... as far as the tranny shop in kent, i asked and they said theres no catches, the only stipulation is that i take it there for a mandatory annual tranny service, which is fine for me... i called carter and they said 3500 for a subaru remanufactured tranny that they did have in stock with a two year/24,000 m warrenty, which i like the idea of a factory remanufactured tranny better then anything, but i drive 24,000 miles in a year and i intend on keeping the car atleast 5+ years so the lifetime warrenty is what really attracts me plus they can do the tranny cooler install at the same time, carter, i don't think, will do it, i asked about it anyway, and they said that the remanufactured tranny had a good enough one... sorry, i'm not buyin that.... anyway thats what i've come up with this far, but i'm always up to suggestion....

Mike
Old 12-18-2001, 10:38 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Wow that place in Kent does sound like a good deal. So do they rebuild your existing tranny then as opposed to putting in a reman one? How much did they quote you? I agree, taking it there for an annual check up is no problem if they are offering a lifetime warranty. Plus they are putting on a good cooler. Yeah, Carter or any other Subaru dealer probably won't touch aftermarket coolers, even though stock isn't really enough. They will do that for you at Smart Service though, if you end up getting a tranny done somewhere without the cooler. That will also be an excellent place to go for your wheel bearings and the leaks. I just had a bearing done there. They knew all about how to do it right the FIRST time, ie changing the packing grease, etc.

Let me know what happens. I've got another year on my reman tranny warranty and will probably not exceed the miles before then. But if it makes it through the next year, it will be good to know the options for the future.