Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-27-2004, 02:17 AM
TonyShaleUK

Plugs, misfire and gas tank gauge...

Hi all,

1) Had a bad oil leak around the cam covers - wanted to check where it came from so cleaned them with engine cleaner and carefully (so I thought) used a pressure cold water washer, trying to avoid electrics - whilst the engine was running. Found the leak (breather/separator seals had gone), but now have a misfire ranging from annoying and occasional to downright dangerous!

Have taken all the injector connections off, put WD40 on and copper grease onto connections. Took all the coil packs off, cleaned them, WD40 (especially where the wires go in). Put WD40 on the connectors at the end of the coil packs - where they join the main loom at the back of the engine - didn't have time to take them off. Improved, but not cured. Any thoughts?

Seems to be ok until the engine warms up, then the fun starts. Usually at idle or on light loads in top - when it starts misfiring, if I change manually to 3rd, it goes away.

2) What plugs should I put in? I want to eliminate these from the equation - and they haven't been changed in 100,000 miles anyway.

3) When I fill the tank with fuel, gauge goes to full. When driving the gauge fluctuates very slowly down to empty then back to arbitrary points on the gauge. Seems to do this more when the weather is hot - or is that just me imagining things?!! Is this a voltage regulator and if so I assume that it is somewhere inaccessible! Or something simple like a blocked breather (as if anything would be that simple....!).

Thanks in advance

Tony
Old 06-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
not sure exactly what might be causing the problem but any issues I've had as a result of cleaning the engine with a pressure washer have always gone away after a short amount of time.

Check all connections including MAF

As for the spark plugs I was told by a former dealership that if you want it to run properly to stick with the factory NGK plugs.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Plugs, misfire and gas tank gauge...

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
Hi all,

1) Had a bad oil leak around the cam covers - wanted to check where it came from so cleaned them with engine cleaner and carefully (so I thought) used a pressure cold water washer, trying to avoid electrics - whilst the engine was running. Found the leak (breather/separator seals had gone), but now have a misfire ranging from annoying and occasional to downright dangerous!

Have taken all the injector connections off, put WD40 on and copper grease onto connections. Took all the coil packs off, cleaned them, WD40 (especially where the wires go in). Put WD40 on the connectors at the end of the coil packs - where they join the main loom at the back of the engine - didn't have time to take them off. Improved, but not cured. Any thoughts?

Seems to be ok until the engine warms up, then the fun starts. Usually at idle or on light loads in top - when it starts misfiring, if I change manually to 3rd, it goes away.

2) What plugs should I put in? I want to eliminate these from the equation - and they haven't been changed in 100,000 miles anyway.

3) When I fill the tank with fuel, gauge goes to full. When driving the gauge fluctuates very slowly down to empty then back to arbitrary points on the gauge. Seems to do this more when the weather is hot - or is that just me imagining things?!! Is this a voltage regulator and if so I assume that it is somewhere inaccessible! Or something simple like a blocked breather (as if anything would be that simple....!).

Thanks in advance

Tony
Can I buy that fuel gauge off you Tony?

Every time my wife drives the SVX, she is mesmerised by how fast the fuel gauge goes down. A fuel gauge that went back up again, just for her, would be just the ticket.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
More seriously....

Likely the misfire is caused by water damage, giving the circumstances it showed up after.

Check that the spark generator [amplifier I think it's called] fitted to the bulkhead is OK. In particular, loosen it off and WD40 behind it to dispel water. Make sure the earth it uses is clean and tight and making connection.

Regards your plugs and coils check the following; You may have forced water into the plug sockets, and even though they get very hot, you might still have moisture/vapour/water trapped in one or more of them which is causing the misfire. The cure for this is drive the car till the heads are hot. Then take off each individual coil/plug seal, and blow very high air-pressure hose in there to dispel any trapped moisture[with the engine off, of course ]

This is the usual problem in these circumstances.

See you in July

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl