Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-22-2004, 05:44 AM

Cool Just bought a SVX...

Oh man I am happy with this car. I recently purchased a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse, nice and fire engine red with white rims and black tinted windows, etc etc etc. Car was nothing but problems. I finally decided to sell it after a few months of going to and from the local mechanic. After I sold it I was talking to him and he mentioned something about selling a Subaru SVX.

Me: You mean a WRX?

Him: No, a SVX. Just come and see it, you'll like it.

So, not knowing what to expect, I go down there and I see this SVX. The first thing I say to him is this:

Me: ... There is a window in your window man, and the wheels are backwards.

Him: I like them backwards.

Me: ... Why?

Anyway, enough of that. We start talking details and all, then he takes me for a ride in it. We get back to the shop, we get out, and he tosses me the keys.

Him: Go drive it a bit, be back in like, thirty minutes.

Me: Alright.

So, I go and drive this strange, new SVX that I've never heard anything about. I feel the car move, I feel the acceleration. Okay, not as fast getting up as the Eclipse, but it doesn't sound like a pissed off bumble-bee either. And it is pretty quick, considering it's weight.

And then I took a corner going sixty and felt the car stick to the road like glue.

I was hooked.

So, I drive around a bit more and get to the shop about twenty minutes later. Chris, my mechanic, looks at me and asks me this:

Him: So, what'd you think?

Me: ... How much do you want for it?

So he goes on and tells me how he was looking for about 3.5 for it. He then mentions that he would like to sell it to someone who he knows would take care of it (IE: Me). He told me he'd sell it to me for 2.5 because of how I got dicked around with the Eclipse by the person who sold it to me (long story). I got a few insurance quotes, read up on the car, and decided that this SVX was for me.

I love this car. I love everything about it. Even the window-in-a-window thing is kickin' rad.

And the best part about this car...

Absolutely no one has one in my area. Not a single person. I wanted a Mustang as a kid, I look down the street while going to work and can literally count around fifty from my house to the CVS/Pharmacy. I see Honda Civics everywhere, all riced out and all that lame stuff. But who else in my area has a SVX? None that I've seen. Completely unique.

All of my ricer friends are jealous mine sounds like a Corvette from the exhaust. Beautiful.

Anyway, for those that are wondering, it is a 1992 Subaru SVX LSi. It has the touring package and all of that nice stuff. Black on black leather. My mechanic's brother bought it off of the lot with two miles on it. They had it for a while, and the only issue is that the interior needs to be resprayed. I think I am just going to saddle soap it myself, it'd look better like that anyway.

Anyway, I'll get pictures of this beast later. I think its about time for that early morning drive.

130k miles when I bought her May 28th

June 10th, 2004 -- Never forget. Well, at least I won't =( *Mourns for his rear-quarter panel*

September 20, 2005 -- The day she finally gave up the fight

April 25th, 2006 -- Bought another SVX!

'92 Teal on Black Subaru SVX LS-L with the touring package. 133k miles when bought on April 25th.

... 135908 as of May 7th =)
Old 05-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Awesome story Xodi-SVX! Welcome to the site!!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Thumbs up

Good for you, Xodi! Sounds like you got a really good deal, to boot! I am jealous. May you have many miles of enjoyment.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:27 AM
The Croupier

Congrats on a good deal. You will find any excuse to drive you're new love as I am sure you allready are finding out. Keep you're eye out for local meets. There's somthing special about several SVX rolling down the street
And dig around these boards & you will finds TONS of helpfull info & funny stories
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 05-23-2004, 12:53 AM

I'm already having tons of fun with this car. Everywhere I go heads turn as they hear the exhaust. It sounds like a Vet with the aftermarkets that Chris put on it. I went down to Moreland Avenue tonight (The local ricer/racer hotspot) and even there people were wondering what the hell my car was.

Everything was fun until I raced that damn WRX. I stayed even with him until his turbo spooled up. Was pretty funny.

Anyway, yeah, the car runs great. My friend's 2002 Jetta's AC doesn't blow as cold as the AC in my 92 SVX. Kinda funny.

Anyway, thanks for the support guys. I'll definitely tell my stories as they arise. If there is ever a meet near the Atlanta, Georgia area, I'll definitely try to attend.

June 10th, 2004 -- Never forget. Well, at least I won't =( *Mourns for his rear-quarter panel*

'92 Teal on Black Subaru SVX LS-L with the touring package. 133k miles when bought on April 25th.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:57 AM

go find Noir, (Harry) he is from that area. good luck with all future miles!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:14 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Just bought a SVX...

Quote:
Originally posted by Xodi-SVX

Anyway, for those that are wondering, it is a 1992 Subaru SVX LSi. It has the touring package and all of that nice stuff. Black on black leather. My mechanic's brother bought it off of the lot with two miles on it. They had it for a while, and the only issue is that the interior needs to be resprayed. I think I am just going to saddle soap it myself, it'd look better like that anyway.

Anyway, I'll get pictures of this beast later. I think its about time for that early morning drive.
There are no LSi in 92. Only LS and LS-L

But I do want to see what you are going to do to the interior though
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

What kinda mods did your mechanic Chris have on the car? Is it just a cat-back exhaust or something more Xtreme!

-Chike
Quote:
I'm already having tons of fun with this car. Everywhere I go heads turn as they hear the exhaust. It sounds like a Vet with the aftermarkets that Chris put on it.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-23-2004, 08:09 PM

He regeared the transmission for better acceleration in first and second, he redid the exhaust system completely, he put a cold-air intake on it, he has someone who can put a supercharger on it for cheaper than most people (He didn't give me a price, I guess I'll ask about it sometime), as well as some other stuff. I'm not sure exactly all that he did, I'll get him to list it all out to me sometime.

All I know is that thing is fast. I was wrong to say it isn't faster than the Eclipse I used to own -- I just smoked one today =).

The car doesn't feel fast at all.. I feel like I am going like, 50 when I am kickin' it down the road doing 80. It rides like a dream.

I don't think I've been in a more perfect vehicle that fits my every want and need.

Edit:

Chris said it was an LS-i. He has been known to be wrong, he may have misread the L as an i. At any rate, it is still nice =)

Old 05-24-2004, 01:40 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:

Chris said it was an LS-i. He has been known to be wrong, he may have misread the L as an i. At any rate, it is still nice =)
There is NO such thing as Lsi. Lsi was not introduced till 1994 model year. All 92 models were either LS or LS-L. Apart from that, enjoy the car, and don't race on the streets.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Welcome

Xodi, with a story like that, you are definitely one of us, and you are very welcome to the boards.

I like mine quiet, so exhaust mods are not for me, but I know what you mean. The car is almost reclusive looking, so a hint of the power available is no harm.

As the guys say [and Kelli!, let's not forget Kelli ], enjoy your car. Treat it well, you'll be repaid many times over with driving pleasure.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Re: Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

As the guys say [and Kelli!, let's not forget Kelli ],

Welcome. I just got one too. as you can tell from my registration date, I've been looking for "the right one" for a long time now. It recently fell into my lap, and I've never been happier with a car. glad you like yours, and great story !

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 05-24-2004, 10:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Xodi,

Welcome to our SVX family. There are other SVXers in the GA area. I don't know exactly where Atanta is in GA, I stink at geography.

I hope your SVX gives your as much pure joy as mine does.
After all, our club motto is; "SVX- it's all we'll drive."
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:26 AM

Re: Just bought a SVX...

Quote:

And the best part about this car...

Absolutely no one has one in my area. Not a single person. I wanted a Mustang as a kid, I look down the street while going to work and can literally count around fifty from my house to the CVS/Pharmacy. I see Honda Civics everywhere, all riced out and all that lame stuff. But who else in my area has a SVX? None that I've seen. Completely unique.
That's one of my favorite things about the SVX, too. (The word around here is that there are 20+ "known" SVXs in the metro Atlanta region.)

Welcome.

dcb
Old 05-24-2004, 11:46 AM

Well, lets make that number 21.

I live in Gwinnett county which is just right beside Fulton, so I'm in the metro area.

I cruise this along 285 and 78 all day long. I keep looking for other SVXs but I just don't see 'em around.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll definitely be checking in often.