How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Chris

What about money issues? Is it time to collect dues or donations again? Thanks for all of your hard work and support keeping this the best site it can be.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris,
So you mean they took up residence in Randy's locker ( ) and used it as their jumping off point for attacks on other systems? Unfortunately, we've seen a lot of this at Goddard Space Flight Center with really smart scientists who think nothing of turning their desktop computers into servers and leaving them on 24/7 with no firewalls -- hackers have just come in and set up shop, with attacks looking like they come from NASA!!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
for about 30 minutes i thought i had done something to screw up the network, i pressed some button that i didn't want, and quickly hit another to try to cancel it, and it came up with an error message... i was like what did i do? then i realized that i really was am an idiot

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 03-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Quinn Whipple

Chris, your Subaru box was on a separate v-lan from the bulk of our other network. That is not what caused the problem. The problem came that the DoS attach saturated every hop between the big pipes and your box. The traffic shaper in the router was overwhelmed because of the smaller than normal packet size. The overwhelmed router affected everyone. Jim's proposed solution gives you a small separate and distinct channelized t1 that as long as the upstream provide gives you dual PVC's and your own IP network you will be in charge of your own destiny. The downside is that the pipe will be much smaller making it so that even just 1 cable modem or DSL customer could do a DoS attack and bring you down. The saving grace on the whole thing was that Friday we upped our bandwidth out to the world and fortunately this made the pipe enough bigger that thousands of domains and all the dedicated clients didn’t completely tip over. I watch network utilization on a daily basis. Before they did the DoS attack I saw people poking and prodding at your server. I almost drafted an email asking if the box had been compromised again, but I didn't want people to think that I was being over critical.

I figured Chris would address this but because it hasn't been addressed, I will. This issue deals with the aggressive emails from members of your forum concerning QWK.net's actions. Of all car forum's the last place that I thought we would get threats from would be a car club made up of upper scale car nuts. I guess that everyone is a critic especially when their service is free. It's easy for some one that doesn't have to maintain the box to get grumpy concerning uptime or the quality of the service. QWK.net responsibility to uptime dealt only with the bandwidth. Nothing on the SVX box was under maintenance contract to ensure patch level and the current security state of the box. QWK.net does not own the server that Subaru-SVX.net was hosted or even have the Root level password on the compromised box. The box's maintenance was done by Chris, Travis, and Jim. All three are skilled admin's with full time day jobs and maintenance was done between other pressing events in their schedules. Unfortunately network security is a journey and not a destination. Servers need and require daily attention to keep them secure. Any service provider would have problems knowing that a server is compromised or in a bad patch state. But again we didn’t' have control of the box. The only control that we have over the box is to turn the port on/off and to change the upstream traffic shaper.

QWK.net as a company has provided quality service to your forum. Instead of getting grumpy and angry you guys should be happy for the multi megabits of service that was available to your forum.

Quinn Whiple
QWK.net Hosting
Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Those IRC "spybots" are nasty things, for you who want to read about what a real-world attac by these things could do, please read http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm .

The case is very similar to what I understand happened here also.

It's a VERY good writing, he exposed the inner beings of these things.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 03-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quinn,

Please let me apologize for any rants or threatening messages you received from any members of this board. They were uncalled for and completely out of line. Can I ask that you forward these to Chris so that he can forward them to us (site moderators) to deal with the individuals responsible?

As many of the older members here can attest, this site has run virtually flawlesely for a very long time while under Chris' capable control (with the assistance of many others of course). We the moderators here have seen an increase in members, a shift in attitude, and a general increase in the amount of unaccetable behavior and are working to make changes to maintain the site in a manner to which we've become accustomed. We know your business is providing bandwidth to clients who rely on it for their livelihood and these are, rightly so, your first priority. I ask that you please don't let the actions of a few members taint your view of the rest of us. We have business owners, attorneys, rockets scientists (really we do!), engineers, and a variety of professionals within our ranks all of which, like me, are very thankful for what we have here. We've made friends from around the globe based on a common interest in an obscure automobile and would hate to lose that connection.

Best regards,
Todd Hipsky
Old 03-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Quinn Whipple

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
Those IRC "spybots" are nasty things, for you who want to read about what a real-world attac by these things could do, please read http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm .

The case is very similar to what I understand happened here also.

It's a VERY good writing, he exposed the inner beings of these things.

/Sonny
I am familiar with Steve Gibson. Many people remember him from the mid 80's when he first wrote the original spinwrite. Steve has always been a bit of a "realist" and I can appreciate him for that. His counterpart (Peter Norton) sold out to corp. America.

Quinn
Old 03-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Quinn Whipple

QWK.net as a company has provided quality service to your forum. Instead of getting grumpy and angry you guys should be happy for the multi megabits of service that was available to your forum.

Quinn Whiple
QWK.net Hosting

Hold the phone, there, Quinn. I'm not aware of anyone getting grumpy, and if so, please let me know who they are and they will be dealt with in the strictest way we can.

As membership gets larger, there will be more and more who won't be able to appreciate where this forum has come from. We'll be certain to let them know.

Please, don't be "grumpy" yourself because of a few "grumps" in the basket.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Just for the record...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hold the phone, there, Quinn. I'm not aware of anyone getting grumpy, and if so, please let me know who they are and they will be dealt with in the strictest way we can.

As membership gets larger, there will be more and more who won't be able to appreciate where this forum has come from. We'll be certain to let them know.

Even though I say I’m cranky... I'm not.... (really!!) And I did not email anyone about the server going down... as a matter of fact I made a donation (that I hope was appreciated) to help out with bandwidth or server stuff…I don't know what the going rate is...., do you want more? Is my donation in line with what others have sent? Can I join? Am I a member yet? What time does the train come in?

Is anyone other than me going to RENO?

ANYONE that complains about ANY service issues with this forum has not been involved with the Internet for very long and just don't know what they are talking about. This has been (even through this attack) the most rock solid site that I've been associated with. Thank you all for what you do and how you do it!!!!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Quinn Whipple

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I forward the email that was the most inconsiderate concerning the situation to Chris.

Quinn
Old 03-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Quinn Whipple

Possible solution to the problem

Here are the issues and problems and some proposed solutions.

Issue 1. subaru-svx.net is popular (good problem to have)
Issue 2. subaru-svx.net needs bandwidth to support it's growth
Issue 3. subaru-svx.net needs to ensure that the dedicated server stays secure.
Problem 1. Bandwidth costs money.
Problem 2. Management costs money.
Problem 3. Resources to keep box live to the world have been negative flowing vs. positive flowing (costs more to keep it up that to move it or shut it down)

Solution:
QWK.net is in the web hosting business. Out of the approximately 2300 registered users of this site, many of you have personal web page space that you are paying another provider for. I would bet that the statistic is probably 15-20% have separate web pages for various hobbies, companies and your cars. If you guy's with the subaru-svx forum are willing to move your individual personal sites to qwk.net so that there is an increased revenue stream. I will rack the server in our managed space, I will have one of my full time techs make sure the box stays at current patch levels and I will double the bandwidth allocation that was currently going to this server. I would bet that out of the 2300(roughly) registered users that we could easily come up with a minimum of 100 accounts to transfer. I would prefer to see 150-200, but let's see if we can get a 100 first(about 4% of the registered users).

Based on the bandwidth that we have seen consumed, this server will become congested with the bandwidth allocation that will be available after it moves. The best solution is to keep it connected with a large pipe to the world, but the cost has to be justified.

This is simple business marketing. If you help generate revenue to justify the allocation of time and resources then I will make sure the box stays secure and is fed with good, pure, bandwidth.

If you guy's want to do this, I will create some new hosting plans dedicated for this transfer so that we can track the users that sign up.

Let me know what you guy's think. Let's make this a win/win situation.

Quinn
QWK.net

Last edited by Quinn Whipple; 03-09-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: Possible solution to the problem

Quote:

Issue 1. subaru-svx.net is popular (good problem to have)
Issue 2. subaru-svx.net needs bandwidth to support it's growth
Issue 3. subaru-svx.net needs to ensure that the dedicated server stays secure.
Problem 1. Bandwidth costs money.
Problem 2. Management costs money.
Problem 3. Resources to keep box live to the world have been negative flowing vs. positive flowing (costs more to keep it up that to move it or shut it down.
Quinn's got some good points here. Let's come up with something to keep subaru-svx.net alive. I'm ready with a donation .
Old 03-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph

Quote:
I would bet that out of the 2300(roughly) registered users that we could easily come up with a minimum of 100 accounts to transfer. I would prefer to see 150-200, but let's see if we can get a 100 first(about 4% of the registered users).

Based on the bandwidth that we have seen consumed, this server will become congested with the bandwidth allocation that will be available after it moves. The best solution is to keep it connected with a large pipe to the world, but the cost has to be justified.

This is simple business marketing. If you help generate revenue to justify the allocation of time and resources then I will make sure the box stays secure and is fed with good, pure, bandwidth.

If you guy's want to do this, I will create some new hosting plans dedicated for this transfer so that we can track the users that sign up.

Let me know what you guy's think. Let's make this a win/win situation.

Quinn
QWK.net

Quinn,

You have some good points and some logistical errors as well. I fully agree with you on the all three issues. However, there are some users on the forums we are experts in secureing the server as well as maintaining the server. So far, as far as I know, there are only 3 people who have some form of access to the back end and we are listening to one of them to say "Hey we've been hacked again."

What I am going with that is for people who can help, it's fusturating just to hear "we are hacked again" without being able to help. And for common people, it scares the living crap out of them. To the admin team: If you need help, we can help.

The second thing is it is true you might benifit from getting some money from us by transfering our webhosts to you guys. However, most people who run websites are at the level of geocity sites (no offense) and they are happy with the free sites. Then we have people like me -- who have our own domain and such. I have never seen a webhost that supply a shell account to the system yet. If I see one, I'll signup so that I can monitor my own space. I hate to give up my space in the hand of someone else. Put it this way, if my site is down, I can only blame myself.

And finally out of the 2000+ registered users, only around 100-200 are active. So it would be hard to achive that goal. Just speaking some realism here.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph

Quote:
Quinn,

Not trying to bite the hand that feed us for free here...

Can you tell us how much we are using for bandwidth? Aso, where is it going? I mean : Is it being used by the forums, IRC, locker pictures (linked to offsite areas) etc.

Just trying to see what we are dealing with here.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: Re: Possible solution to the problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Quinn,

Not trying to bite the hand that feed us for free here...

Can you tell us how much we are using for bandwidth? Aso, where is it going? I mean : Is it being used by the forums, IRC, locker pictures (linked to offsite areas) etc.

Just trying to see what we are dealing with here.
Actually I was curious about that as well. Didn't have time to ask.