Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-09-2003, 09:51 PM

How about internal leakage in a clutch supply circuit - at idle there is not enough supply of ATF, clutch is not engaged. You press the pedal, TCU increases ATF pressure in response to throttle position, ATF supply increases, clutch catches up.
Revs are high - you get a jerk.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:21 PM
nextcubepro

Have you tried the tranny resistor mod?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I'll just say that the symptoms do sound an awful lot like the symptoms I was getting just before I flushed my tranny right after I got the car... all the problems vanished after the flush.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
right on thank you all!!! I don't know what I would do without this site.

I am taking my car in tomorrow and have them look at it.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:11 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
trany slip

I hesitate to post this because I DO NOT KNOW THE LONG TERM effects/outcome. but with my son Nicks 96 awd svx that lost 4th gear about a week ago, i drained out 5 quarts trans fluid and replaced it with "less slippage prone FORD type trans fluid. on the 8 mile drive home, fourth gear came back. i did it again, and still have fourth gear. it still flares between second and third and wont shift out of first untill abvove 3000 rpm, but it is better. Im going to swap out 5 more quarts and post again.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:45 AM
nextcubepro

Re: trany slip

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
I hesitate to post this because I DO NOT KNOW THE LONG TERM effects/outcome. but with my son Nicks 96 awd svx that lost 4th gear about a week ago, i drained out 5 quarts trans fluid and replaced it with "less slippage prone FORD type trans fluid. on the 8 mile drive home, fourth gear came back. i did it again, and still have fourth gear. it still flares between second and third and wont shift out of first untill abvove 3000 rpm, but it is better. Im going to swap out 5 more quarts and post again.
Changing your tranny fluid with the Ford stuff is the SAME as changing it with regular non synthetic stuff and adding Lucas' Stop Slip to the new fluid. Like I said here, that stuff is amazing. Drive the car for 500 miles softly, then for the next 500, drive it hard. Drive regularly for another 1,000. Then, drain the fluid, use regular tranny fluid and a bottle of Lucas' Stop Slip. I'll bet 95% of any problems you had will have been gone. Good luck. OH!!! Remember not to overfill the tranny fluid. It can screw up your pump I hear.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:43 PM

I got the bad news today!

the dealer guy said that 1st is slipping pretty bad and suggested that I replace. He said that changing the fluid may not do much. I haven't asked him anything else... until they open tomorrow. I am just going to pay for the engine oil change and go along my marry way. I am gonna try to change tranny fluid myself and add some slip stop stuff how should I do this? never done anything like this before. more questions too... I owe $3k and can't afford to replace anytime soon...

How much does a 5 speed cost to purchase??(cheapest I can get)

If the tranny dies how likely is it to take other things with it?(Approx. how log does it have?)

Would I be better off just selling?

I may be better off buying one later in life when I can afford it.
thank you all so much for your help. You all rock!!! Hopefully I can repay some day, your good nature.

bless you all....

justin
Old 11-13-2003, 10:01 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

How much does a 5 speed cost to purchase??(cheapest I can get)

Strictly Subaru is located just north of the WA/Canada border, and he's got an essentially brand new 5-speed setup for $1500. Check it out here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=14405

Along with all the parts he's selling, you just need the Small Car 5-speed adaptor kit which is $300, and then you need to spend some time doing the conversion. If you do the work yourself, you could have a brand new 5-speed for less than $2000. If you pay to have it done, you could be on the road for $3000. BTW, if you choose to go this route and want to pay to have the installation done, send me a PM. I know a guy in the Seattle area who is an excellent Subaru mechanic. You won't find a better person for the job.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
ut oh - Side question: When it's cold outside and I hop in, start her up, and put it into drive it bangs into gear sometimes. But if the car is warmed up it doesn't do it at all. Is this something to worry about? I guess there's nothing you can do anyway. It's just inevitable that the trans will eventually go.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 11-14-2003, 04:15 PM

Unhappy bummer for me

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to replace that. I don't know when I am. No time in the future that's for sure. I do know that I don't want to go to the dealer anymore. I just get a really bad feeling from them. Their customer service isn't very good...

How much can i get another Auto tranny for it?

anywho... I think I am going to try and sell it. Maybe see if I can trade it for a Suby wagon or something AWD like that. It is just too much for me to deal with right now. I think I will just go to Iraq for a little bit and try and make some money.

If anyone is interested in a trade or purchase, let me know. Where is a good place to put the ad?

Last edited by speedracer; 11-14-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
im going to try that Lucas Stop Slip stuff. im having this problem as well, yet no jerking and everything seems fine.
after reviewing these posts i think i may be experiencing some line blockage.
think that stuff might make it worse?

edit: went to a friends house but he wasnt there so i decided to come back and get the camera.
no slippage or any of the aforementioned problems. weird huh?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 11-15-2003 at 08:54 PM.