How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2003, 04:37 AM

Question SVX Differences Between Various Markets

Apart from the obvious difference of the steering wheels being on the wrong side .....what are the subtle differences between SVXs sold to the different world markets?

I've heard conflicting stories that North American SVXs have different gearboxes to the rest. American cars also seem to have slightly different tail lights and front indicators to other countries cars.

Is the USA the only place that got FWD cars? And Japan the 4WS system?

Also, due to various emissions laws around the world are their any difference between SVXs from one country to another in this respect? Are some cars faster in some markets compared to others?

Does anyone know of any other national differences?

The Monzta

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: SVX Differences Between Various Markets

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monzta
I've heard conflicting stories that North American SVXs have different gearboxes to the rest. American cars also seem to have slightly different tail lights and front indicators to other countries cars.
Having been over to Harrogate and driven a UK-spec SVX I can tell some of the differences.

UK-spec has:

2 rear built in fog lights, located on the outer edge of the center panel. (The US cars have 4 tail/brake lights instead of 2. Your backup light occupies the position of our brake lights and your fog light occupies the position of our backup lights. See the US/UK real panel folder in my locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?svxcess

You also have side repeator lights in the fender, headlight washers, power adjustable headlight leveling system, ECON switch on the gear selector and a few minor differences.

Although you have rear fog lights you do not get the front fog lights that are on US cars.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-25-2003, 10:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
I hear tell that 'SVX Island' as someone referred to in Yahoo about 18 months ago has twin turbo all wheel steering six speed convertible SVX's with titanium wheel bearings, Group A disc brakes with 8 piston calipers; photochromatic windshields to negate need to sun visors and E-Z-FIT double din radio/cd/md/dvd audio components that flick out at the push of a button with a global wiring harness that fits any aftermarket audio system ever built, past or future.

Oh, and every single last one of them on SVX Island is yellow.

I am mounting an expedition where an oil tanker will be converted to transport them back to SVX Network Members.

*laughing*

Sorry, the thoughts of SVX Island just conjure up images of this 'Beach/King Kong/Jurassic Park' type island covered in mist with Randy, pith hat and blunderbuss in hand, leading an expedition to capture them!

The only other differences are interior and exterior colours - as far as I know, no one market got everything but I suspect that Japan may have???

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-27-2003, 02:51 AM
Phil & Belha

This is not a comprehensive list, but it adds to what others have said...

The Japanese models have:

Plastic headlights, Front Fog lights, 4WS (version L), remote central locking built into the driver's door handle, distress flare in passenger foot well (!), Automatic headlights (version L), suede seat inserts (version E), power button, electric folding mirrors, 180km/h speed limiter, "boxer" manifold cover, "alcyone" badges, "alcyone" floor mats, different wiper mountings to UK model.

US models apparently have: Automatic seat belts (92 models), FWD, FWD fuse rather than diff-lock fuse, alarm system, different a/c controls, curved spoiler, 90% front-biased torque split, Vinyl seats, rev-related rather than speed related power steering..... (somebody with a US model help me out here)

UK Models, as you know, have
Glass headlights, leather seats, econ button, electric aerial button, rear fog lights, etc.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
What you say is right Phil, but there are other more fundamental differences.

Mine, like yours, is JDM spec, although mine is basic spec. Among the things I do not have on mine are cruise, all leather seats, ABS brakes, sunroof, headlamp washers.

In compensation, I do have the suede [actually ecsaine] seat inserts. I much prefer these, not so hot in summer, not so slippy for spirited driving, or in an accident [see Countess' description of her rear end shunt Down Under]

The one thing I really really miss from the UK spec is glass headlights. Tried to buy some from crashed cars, but they usually get broken.

Harvey from Down Under has done a study of the gearboxes, I think he may have access to a US workshop manual, and an Australia one. Major difference in the gearboxes. US cars come primarily with a fwd gearbox which has a transfer clutch tacked on at the back sending some power to the rear wheels. Japanese and Euro cars have the full monte AWD box, which can apportion the torque split internally from commands at the TCU.

The supposed reason for this is to allow the testing of the cars in the US on a 2-wheel dyno rig, using the device of removing the FWD fuse, which effectively disconnects the rear transfer clutch, and turns the car into front-wheel-drive. As you know, removing the fuse from that position in ours locks the diff, I presume 50/50, and would only be useful in snow or muck.

There are probably other small differences. In the US, the side part of the rear lights assembly also lights up, ours don't.

Anyone notice other differences?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-27-2003, 12:26 PM

Thanks lads, this is good stuff, I didn't realise there were so many differences both fundamental and subtle between our cars. Please keep 'em coming thick and fast as it's sure giving me a better understanding of the model range as a whole.

What about engines, ECUs and cats? Any differences under the bonnet? I wondered if any SVXs had better performance in one country over another?

Are Australian spec cars nearer to Japanese or British? And what about continental Europe....any differences there?

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks lads, this is good stuff, I didn't realise there were so many differences both fundamental and subtle between our cars. Please keep 'em coming thick and fast as it's sure giving me a better understanding of the model range as a whole.

What about engines, ECUs and cats? Any differences under the bonnet? I wondered if any SVXs had better performance in one country over another?

]As far as we know, the engine is tuned to one set-up for all markets. There has always been talk of the earlier 91-92 cars having more horsepower than later cars. This may be because the Japanese use a different horsepower rating than Europe or the US. Or they may have used a slightly hotter chip for the earlier press cars. In any event, differences would relate to the chips if any difference exists. Parts are common across the markets, so unlikely there is any significant differences between engine output in any market.

All markets have the three cat set-up. The Japanese ECUs cut the ignition at 180km/h. Some Japanese use a performance ECU after market. Have seen contradictory reports as to whether they are a good thing. Cost is too high anyway at nearly £1000.

Are Australian spec cars nearer to Japanese or British? And what about continental Europe....any differences there?
James reckons the Oz cars come with everything as standard, except the 4WS thing. British cars similar high spec. British and Euro cars, and Oz models would all have the upmarket speed sensitive steering.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-27-2003, 09:04 PM

Was a Trip Computer ever a option on the SVX? If not, it seems a strange omission for such a well loaded and technically advanced car. Even my old Opel Monza has one and it's 11 years older than my SVX.

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 06-28-2003, 06:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Australian cars came:

black leather interior,
sunroof,
glass headlights,
rear spoiler
in dash double DIN tape/cd player - boot stacker optional

no foglights
no automatic (ie from inside the car) headlight adjustment
no headlight washers
no 4ws,
no seat heaters
no power button (throttle responsive)

250kph speedo (or something like it)
no auto locking above 15kph
no flare

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:51 AM

That's interesting.....so British cars seem to be of a higher spec than Australian ones. We seem to have pretty much everything on ours other than 4WS.......am I right in saying this?

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 06-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Not quite everything

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Australian cars came:

black leather interior,
sunroof,
glass headlights,
rear spoiler
in dash double DIN tape/cd player - boot stacker optional

no foglights English cars have to have foglights in the rear by law, so rear cluster is different
no automatic (ie from inside the car) headlight adjustmentDon't know if English cars have this
no headlight washersEnglish cars have this
no 4ws,Never on English cars
no seat heatersDon't know if English cars have this
no power button (throttle responsive)Only Japanese cars got this

250kph speedo (or something like it)English cars have mph speedo, no limiter
no auto locking above 15kphI think only Japanese got this. Useful for safety/security in the city. Awkward for letting off passengers until a dashboard unlock button was fitted post 94
no flareOnly Japanese market gets this.

James
Monzta, you would need to check on the UK/Europe forum about the heated seats and the headlights remote adjuster. Japanese cars also have folding power mirrors, which the US nor UK did not get

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-29-2003, 06:01 PM

Joe,

Mine is British spec and it has got both heated seats and remote headlight adjustment.

I installed a stereo in mine yesterday and noticed our cars have a different cage to US spec cars. Though it's double DIN sized it would take a lot of metal hacking to get two DIN sized stereo units in there. It looks unlike the ones in the few stereo fitting guides I printed from the web.

I also installed a 10-disc changer in the boot mounted on the back of the right-hand rear seat. Where exactly did the factory fitted boot stackers get fitted?

Glenn

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 06-29-2003, 08:06 PM

cd changer location.....

Quote:
I also installed a 10-disc changer in the boot mounted on the back of the right-hand rear seat. Where exactly did the factory fitted boot stackers get fitted?

Glenn
The CD changer in our's is in the left hand side of the boot/trunk. As far as I'm aware it's the standard (for a '96 UK model) fit Clarion unit mated to a hi-spec Clarion single DIN head unit. There is a neat hinged half box cover moulded into the boot lining on that side, and the changer is held down with very aggressive "Velcro" tape.

Phil.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:35 AM

Phil,

Ahh, I wondered what that hinged box was for, I imagined it was for the CD changer but couldn't see any signs of drill holes for brackets. I tried my changer in there and though there was plenty of room about a quarter of its length hung over the gap inside the rear wing. But if they used a very powerful velcro then that explains it. I may have a hunt for something similar and re-site my changer to the same place. Though the thought of having to strip the trim out again to re-lay the changer lead to reach the new location chills me.

Glenn

'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)

Old 06-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Phil & Belha

Do any models apart from the '92 JDM version L have the automatic headlights (ie. they switch on automatically when it gets dark and off when it gets light (and flash every time you drive under a bridge!))?

I thought all SVX's had this, but then I noticed that Matt's '93 JDM SVX doesn't. I don't remember whether the UK models have this.

Phil.