Old 03-01-2003, 03:41 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
Chris,

You understand that the tranny is in self-destruct mode, you will not get many miles out of it, and rebuilding this particular tranny will not be a cheap option.

I tend to join the opinion that the low line pressure is the culprit.
Can you find a mechanic who would agree to do a line pressure test and to replace the oil pump gasket if line pressure shows the problem? It is tranny remove&replace exercise, but the gasket is way cheaper than the new tranny...

Yes, most transmission shops will not do any small repairs - their solution is to offer a rebuild on any reason. Feels like a combination of liability and making-money issues.
In fairness to the shops, there is a lot of labour involved in taking out and stripping a box. If I was amechanic, I would be reluctant to rebuild something that would fail in three or six months due to worn friction components that ought to be replaced.

If the only problem you have is the low line pressure, the tranny might go a long time if it is not causing excess slippage of the clutches.

But if you strip it, fix everything is my advice.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A Spade is a Spade

If you want to know the truth, it's a matter of the shop owners and mechanics having been screwed over by customers in 'selective stupid mode'. No matter how many times you tell them, no matter if you have them sign a statement regarding the fact that there may be other problems looming, no matter if you're potentially saving them 75% of the cost of a full rebuild, the vast majority will stick it to a shop that tried to help them out.
If I tell someone I'll replace part A but parts B, C & D may have suffered from part A's failure and I won't guarantee their survival you can bet that they'll try to stuff me when anything else happens. You wanna know how many times we hear "Since you worked on my bumper every time I use the lighter the radio changes stations. If you don't fix it I'm gonna call my lawyer!"

Don't think it doesn't happen. I remember people bragging about 'renting' tools from Wal-Mart, asking how can they screw-over BestBuy for a free radio install and then take the radio back just to get the harness, etc. The kind of stuff that makes me proud to be a member of society. But I digress....

Anyway, what I'm leading up to is to not forget that the transmission has already suffered from the problem and ignoring it for however long won't help it in the least. Denial and wishful thinking never fixed a thing. I'd be hard pressed to rationalize spending close to $1000 for R&R and replacing a gasket when the friction materials are probably close to worn out. If you were to do this repair, in this manner, how many miles would you expect in return in order to call it a justifiable expense?
Old 03-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
Yes, I understand that if I can find a trany guy to test and repair the low pressure issue I could be done. But if the trany has 68k miles on it, should I invest in some re and re time, some parts and labour and hope that this is the only problem?

I may save a few grand. It may be worth another look.
I'll call around and see if I can get a mechanic to do this work, and see what it would cost. I'm not sure what I will find, so wish me luck. I will refer to information in this and other posts to assist in the process, so thanks for the help. I'll post what I can find.
If you are going to drive the car with this problem, I would suggest that you take it easy when taking off from a standing start.
Try holding the brake on, raise the rpm to about 800 to 1000 rpm then release the brake as you take off.
Don't take the revs too high, just enough to increase the line pressure, to lock up the low reverse clutch, before the drive is applied.
This will stop the clutch from slipping, so prolonging it's life.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:45 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Thanks, thats exactly what I do, I apply just the slightest amount of gas to engage the trany, and then lean on it to reduce the slip.

plus I drive it in 3rd almost all the time.

Just got back from a NorthWest meet, and while there, met my Vancouver neighbour Dan, he has a few used tranys, so I am going to get one from him, and swap it in, and then attempt to replace the pump gasket myself, and do some exploritory surgery.
The car ran fine the whole way, and does not apear to be getting any worse, but it was mostly highway driving.

Now this is risky as I have only rebuild one trany before, and it didn't work when I was done. of course I was pretty sure it wasn't going to as I got a bags of 170 parts, and instructions that were so cryptic that explained in about 450 pages which 76 parts of the 170 I should use, and why. It was an old Ford trany. As a mechanic I was young and cocky, so the parts shop owner said he would give me the parts if thought I could do it myself.

I plan to have the trany pump pressure checked, so I can at least have an idea of where to look in this trany. But my first plan is a simple gasket replacement and to see what kind of stuff is lying around in the trany.

I believe that Beav's call on the Pump gasket is correct, from what I have read here, plus I trust Beav. But will not hold any responsible if they are wrong, as I know it doesn't take much to screw up a trany.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms