Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2003, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Question 2 things here. cooling fans//valve cover gaskets

i need to replace another cooling fan the opisite one i just replaced im dont puting in crappy subaru factory fans that just go out..

what woud u all recomend for a replacement fan?? is there any thats a direct bolt on or fit??

2ndly im getting my vavlve cover gaskets replace verry soon.. is there any recomendations on that ,, anything i should ask for them to check out?? anything i should replace while they are in there.. besides the spark plugs?

both are leaking and just started getting worst i been procastenating on getting it done.

thanks for any impur or help i can get =.>
Old 01-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Man. What is up with your fans? I think that the Suby fans usually last longer?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:38 PM

Registered SVX
i know svx commuter,, its bloody driving me up the wall.. it is soo loud squeeling sound its doing exactly what the other one did..one i just replaced..

one of the problems i found out was whene i had the transmsions cooler installed he used tie straps to hold it in place and one of them was rubing the fan. wish caused it to go bad. or squeel.

i replaced it with a used fan 125.00 $ from a junk yard .and now the other one is doing the same thing. i have never heard of them going bad.. maybe the car was over heated at one time i have no clue or the motors got wet.

im just going to replace them with hi preformance ones. they are alot cheaper and better then factorys..
Old 01-20-2003, 06:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
solar - you can replace the valve cover gaskets yourself - they are easy to do - just takes some patience. Unless they are charging very little for this I'd do them yourself. Make sure they or you put in all new grommets for the bolts that hold the covers on - these get brittle, crack, and leak over time.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:29 PM
AbdominalSnoman

imortal suby - Would you consider helping me replace mine? I'd be happy to pay you and we could take pictures for the benefit of solarsvx.

I live in greenville now, I just don't know how to change my profile to say that. (I gave it all of 5 seconds of effort)
Old 01-21-2003, 06:58 AM

Registered SVX
immortal. i was told u had to lower thengine cause there is no space between the the frame rails and valve covers and there is no.. it had to be apin to do ..

how many hours did it take u ?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Unless there was a change in the engine placement or fender design, there is just enough room to remove the cover, at least on the driver side. You have to slide the cover towards the back of the car so the front clears the cam gears, then you can pretty much just raise it straight up. The hardest part was getting to the bolts at the lower rear portion of the cover.

KuoH
Old 01-21-2003, 10:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think you need one of those ratcheting box wrenches to get the valve cover bolts off. That would help time wise. I do think it would take a long time to change the gaskets even with that.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Actually, I did buy one of those wrenches...after the fact. They're 10mm heads in case anyone wants to know. The physical removal and reinstal of the cover probably took less than a couple of minutes if you don't count the bolt/unbolt and cover cleaning times.

KuoH
Old 01-21-2003, 04:23 PM
AbdominalSnoman

when you did this did you have to have to car elevated (best I would be able to do is ramps) and unscrew the valve cover from below, or were you able to do it all from the top?
Old 01-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I did it without any special tools - the driver side is a PITA but it can be done with a little patience. The engine does not need to be moved/ dropped/ etc. I removed the battery and the airbox to make it easier when I did mine. It did not take too long - I think it was 3 beers - tops. The hardest part is getting the driver side valve cover out once it is unbolted - it is like a puzzle to clear the cam gears and hoses to get it out. I don't remember having a real hard time with any of the bolts - I did jack the car up to get to some of the bolts from underneath. It would be a good idea to simple green and hose off the engine before doing it to get any gunk out of the area beforehand.

Abdominal - Let me know when a good time is (preferably when it isn't 18 degrees out - I only have a 1 car garage- not much room to work in)- maybe Porter can come down too - I just ordered some new spark plugs for mine - we could do an install day and hit everyones car. I think he has some routine maintanence stuff to do too. I don't accept cash but I will work with beer.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 01-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I don't accept cash but I will work with beer.
Let me offer this piece of advice. Offer him a teaser beer or his rate of work (HP???) goes down quickly!

I'm trying to remember that beer you can;t find down south Matt.....Gennie, right?

Todd
Old 01-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
thats right - gennessee beer - specifically genny light - I remember a poster someone made where it had a cow drinking from the gennessee river and peeing into a bucket labeled Genny at the same time -

the locals just don't appreciate the beer they have (Kim's uncle is the brewmaster but I liked the beer before I knew that anyway)