SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Time to let the SVX out!

Send a message via AIM to SVXTREM
Registered SVX
Re: 20/13 Cruise - I'd like a head count if there is interest

I'm in. Getting excited for my first meet.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: 20/13 Cruise - I'd like a head count if there is interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I'm thinking along the lines of a blind taste test to see if you can tell the difference between Franzia and Almaden.

True connoisseurs prefer Almaden due to its superior extended spigot.
Harrumph!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post

True connoisseurs prefer Almaden due to its superior extended spigot.
Harrumph!

Ron.

Still waiting for them to develop the single serving, juice-box design with straw, in a six-pack.

Spigots? we don't need no steenking spigots!

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
trying to misbehave more...

Registered SVX

Brian, bummer! I sure hope you can make the cruise. Thanks for your work, regardless.

If you post a route, I'm sure some of us will take it, even without you as a fearless leader. Not wasted time, on your part.

n
'95 LSi, a stock, superb, polo green, "not a garage queen"; Miss May in the '09 calendar! Sold in 2016.
'63 Studebaker Avanti; almost 20 years later, "open hood, pour in money" but what a design!
'64 Studebaker Daytona, red w/rag top; part of the Presidential Parade (as in DC) & probably why my right ear rings
'71 Mercedes 280 SEL; a partial restoration that always rode like a limo
'72 Datsun 240Z; simply fun, and the #2 sports car of the '70s
'73 Plymouth Scamp w/a small V-8; cute, and the faster I drove, the better the MPG
'90 Acura Legend; the last year of the first sports sedan, terrific handling plus comfy touring
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks. Its all depending upon whether or not I receive payment for the Magnaflow before the meet.

On another note though, here is a rough idea of what the route will look like:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...100bbe74&msa=0

Its a lot of back roads with many a twist and turn Makes for some spirited driving Its a rough draft so far, and if I can actually get out and drive it before Friday, I'll tweak it for less stop signs and lights (at present I dont recall many along the route, outside of the short runs on the highways).

Also talked to the service manager at Steve Moyer Subaru in Leesport again, he is talking with the owner of the stealership about some raffle items.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I know the route from morgantown to douglasville very well. That will be a nice drive. I'm not as familiar with the route once you cross 422, but it looks good.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I know the route from morgantown to douglasville very well. That will be a nice drive. I'm not as familiar with the route once you cross 422, but it looks good.
I'm the exact opposite I know this side very well, and I used to know that end fairly good, but its been 3-4 years since I've been down that way. The only other option I can recommend is to take 23 straight out to 100 through Elverson (instead of up through Hopewell Furnace), then north to 724 or 422. But that takes all the scenery out of the first part.

The roads on this side of 422 are a bit narrow, but very curvy. Also little traffic on these roads.

I may alter the route a bit, but it will get longer. Time wise it'll be nowhere near what estimates, figuring 30 miles one way (max) at an average of 45-50 mph. We will probably have to run groups and have rally leaders per group, depending on how many come along.

Still trying to get in touch with the people about the firetower (for photo op). Hopefully tomorrow I will know more on that front.

If worse comes to worse however, and I can't run the cruise, I will be down on Saturday at the least. I need to drop off some items for the raffle (the supertone kit from Susquehanna Motorsports, and a stack of 20% off coupons from Steve Moyer Subaru).

More info to come as I get things squared away
Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 AM

hello all!
i know input from myself is unheard of and probably not valued seeing as i wont be at the meet with an svx....HOWEVER. I do wish to give some info on the pagoda and the area surrounding it. I want to say now that i am NOT shooting down anyones ideas here but it IS a bad neighborhood. and if everyone does go up there depending on how many cars weve got, because it is a public spot, sometimes parking can be a hassle. Especially if your trying to get those group pictures. My car actually almost got hit there more than once because of people trying to be all "tokyo drift" and came flying around that blind corner at the top.

I know that area well enough to say that it is certian there will be at least one traffic light that people might get cutoff. in every direction coming up to the pagoda that i know of, its surrounded mostly by dense, city like area untill you actually get close to the road up the hill. Perhaps youve done really well with mapping out the potential route and i am wrong

I hope everything goes well no matter what

93 Impreza 240K ..driveway decoration

Previous owner of what is now the "svx race car" back when she was a daily driver
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
trying to misbehave more...

Registered SVX

I'm wondering if there will be some rally participants who will do a shorter course. What you have mapped out, Brian, looks good, but may be too long for some in this group.

As for me, my navigator won't arrive until later on Sat. but I would still like to do part of the rally. So I'm hoping some leader will opt to do the route just to Douglassville and back, so I can follow them (not get lost!), and get back earlier. Or maybe a group can go up to Old Turnpike Rd and turn around.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
n
'95 LSi, a stock, superb, polo green, "not a garage queen"; Miss May in the '09 calendar! Sold in 2016.
'63 Studebaker Avanti; almost 20 years later, "open hood, pour in money" but what a design!
'64 Studebaker Daytona, red w/rag top; part of the Presidential Parade (as in DC) & probably why my right ear rings
'71 Mercedes 280 SEL; a partial restoration that always rode like a limo
'72 Datsun 240Z; simply fun, and the #2 sports car of the '70s
'73 Plymouth Scamp w/a small V-8; cute, and the faster I drove, the better the MPG
'90 Acura Legend; the last year of the first sports sedan, terrific handling plus comfy touring
Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancycargal View Post
I'm wondering if there will be some rally participants who will do a shorter course. What you have mapped out, Brian, looks good, but may be too long for some in this group.

As for me, my navigator won't arrive until later on Sat. but I would still like to do part of the rally. So I'm hoping some leader will opt to do the route just to Douglassville and back, so I can follow them (not get lost!), and get back earlier. Or maybe a group can go up to Old Turnpike Rd and turn around.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
n
I'll definitely only be going for part of the drive (if at all). That's a very long drive for a large group of cars trying to stay together. Google maps says a bit over an hour, but that figure should be close to double because of the delays involved in keeping everybody together. Then when you consider it's round trip, that's nearly 4 hours of driving. After driving 6 hours here, and with the prospect of driving 6 hours home on Sunday (with no cruise!), all of that driving does not really sit well with me.
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
hello all!
i know input from myself is unheard of and probably not valued seeing as i wont be at the meet with an svx....HOWEVER. I do wish to give some info on the pagoda and the area surrounding it. I want to say now that i am NOT shooting down anyones ideas here but it IS a bad neighborhood. and if everyone does go up there depending on how many cars weve got, because it is a public spot, sometimes parking can be a hassle. Especially if your trying to get those group pictures. My car actually almost got hit there more than once because of people trying to be all "tokyo drift" and came flying around that blind corner at the top.

I know that area well enough to say that it is certian there will be at least one traffic light that people might get cutoff. in every direction coming up to the pagoda that i know of, its surrounded mostly by dense, city like area untill you actually get close to the road up the hill. Perhaps youve done really well with mapping out the potential route and i am wrong

I hope everything goes well no matter what
I disagree to a point. Skyline Drive isnt a bad area during the daytime (which is when we will be up there). I know that route very well, and the back ways up the hill to get there, as I work the Pagoda and Duryea hill climb races every year and used to travel through Antietem Dam area 2-3 times a week. I am well aware of the blind corner you are speaking of, hence why I plan to come in from the other direction and hit the Firetower first, with the option to drive down to the Pagoda if anyone is so inclined.

Parking at the Firetower isn't an issue. If we can get 35-40 race cars up there, I'm certain we can get the SVX group in

The route I have planned out will avoid going through the city areas and will take everyone up over the back side of the hill. At the very worst, I can alter the route a bit and run everyone out through Oley and down 12 to the left at the bottom of the hill that is the run off for Skyline drive.

If anyone wants to run a shorter route, I can shorten it up but it will take away from the scenery. From Douglassville we can run 662 to 73 and from 73 down to 12 and get onto Skyline at the bottom of the hill (as mentioned above). It will shave a bit of time and mileage off. Planning this cruise has been a tough balance between mileage/time and scenery. The whole point of a cruise is to have fun and see some sights IMHO, and without the scenery there isnt much point in running the cruise...

I'll be down to the meet in the morning, and we can all discuss it from there, see what kind of numbers we have, and who wants to do what. Then we can hold a vote.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I'll definitely only be going for part of the drive (if at all). That's a very long drive for a large group of cars trying to stay together. Google maps says a bit over an hour, but that figure should be close to double because of the delays involved in keeping everybody together. Then when you consider it's round trip, that's nearly 4 hours of driving. After driving 6 hours here, and with the prospect of driving 6 hours home on Sunday (with no cruise!), all of that driving does not really sit well with me.
Not to be a party pooper, but I probably won't go either. I can only stay for so long and that would be big chunk of time. In fact if the whole lot clears out and is going to be gone for 4 hours I will probably just head home.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

This appears to be an nidication of the challenges of having a meet in this area. There isn't enough interesting stuff nearby.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
This appears to be an nidication of the challenges of having a meet in this area. There isn't enough interesting stuff nearby.
Not so much. There is plenty of interesting stuff nearby, but it doesnt seem like anyone wants to really go out and explore. No disrespect to the group or anything intended by that, take it however you wish.

My problem was trying to plan a route that was not only fun, but not too long. Google maps says an hour each way, but considering most of the roads are back routes with little to no traffic, it shouldnt be anywhere near that long. The run back can be all highway, which makes it a 25-30 minute drive tops. Again, I can shorten the route up, but it takes all of the scenery out of the cruise, which defeats the purpose of a cruise IMHO. Its really not as long as makes it out to be. 30 miles at an average of 45-50 mph. If everyone has a copy of the directions and map, its not a problem keeping the group together (hence why I posted the route prior to the event, so everyone could have a copy).

As it sits, I probably won't be planning anything for future meets. I've been running around for the past month or so like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get everything together. It really is a delicate balance. I tried/am trying to accommodate everyone here, and its not easy. Hence why I finally just said the hell with it and made the cruise destination Skyline Dr. No one wanted to speak up on any of the options I posted, so..

I'll be down there in the morning no later than 1130. I have items to put into the raffle for everyone, and depending on the group of people who want to run the cruise, I may or may not go. Either way I still have to travel that route to get home, so its no skin off my back.

Last edited by DiabloScoobyru; 04-27-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: