Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Question Catalytic Converter

The other day I was out for a lovely cruise, however I noticed that whenever I gave the throttle a good push the car smelled like rotten eggs. This happened a few times. The third time it happened I was going about 80 as I passed some fool in a Buick. I have had the oil replaced recently (Last 600 miles) I only use 93 octane and all other fluid levels are good. I am pretty sure it is the catalytic converter starting to go, but I have records stating it was replaced at 65,000 miles (28,000 miles ago). So could it be the Cat? It seems too soon to me, or is there a possibility of another problem? Any help would be appreciated, such as the problem and quick cheap fixes for it.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Re: Catalytic Converter

Batteries can make that smell too. Might be overchargine perhaps? Take a cap off the battery and have a cautious sniff... don't burn your nose with acid fumes!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

That seems strange that the Cat was replaced at only 65k. Sounds like there might be some sort of underlying problem that caused it to fail so soon-If the engine is running lean for some reason it would cause the cat to fail much quicker than normal.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Hmm I will try that, the battery is new but that wouldn't affect the overcharging. Would that be an alternator problem or some sensor? The best way to test that would probably be the test center at autozone right?

Owned Since Late June 2008

Things Fixed Thus Far

Airbags-Self Installed (I hope they work)
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Hmm, I will have to look into there being another problem because 65k is way too soon. Looking at the records I have discovered the following was replaced at the same time as the cat, 2 oxygen sensors, 2 gaskets, 2 Converter AY (Not sure what that this) and the Cat. The bill says the Cat was replaced per the customers request, so it may have been going at that point? I am not totally sure as that is all the information I have. Thanks for all the help.

Things Fixed Thus Far

Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMacmillian View Post
Hmm, I will have to look into there being another problem because 65k is way too soon. Looking at the records I have discovered the following was replaced at the same time as the cat, 2 oxygen sensors, 2 gaskets, 2 Converter AY (Not sure what that this) and the Cat. The bill says the Cat was replaced per the customers request, so it may have been going at that point? I am not totally sure as that is all the information I have. Thanks for all the help.
Hmmm, Maybe they thought all of that should have been done as routine maintenance at 60k the "2 Converter AY" could be the term they used for the 2 precats... Just seems odd but apparently whoever owned it before you had plenty of money to spend on repairs
Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Have a sniff first, if it smells then it is probably what you were smelling.

Over charging is not always what makes them smell.
To test it you really just need to see what voltage it tops out at with the motor doing a few revs, fifteen hundred should be enough. If the voltage is too high it may have damaged your battery making it smell.

If the smell is coming from the battery, then the battery is failing even though it is new and I would go back anc complain about the smell if it seems fine in every other way.

If the battery is not smelling then it could be your cat. Cats do usually last for a long time though, as suggested,(also we don't usually smell our exhausts at open road speeds do we?). If the cat is failing I doubt it is because of a faulty mixture. I would suspect some fuel or oil additive or an engine sealer that was not suitable.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
If the cat is failing I doubt it is because of a faulty mixture. I would suspect some fuel or oil additive or an engine sealer that was not suitable.
I doubted this myself but with most cat failures it is due to there not being enough fuel left in the exhaust(running lean) which heats up the cat converter excessively causing deterioration of the catalyst inside. Also the fact he smells it going 80 mph points more towards the battery problem you suggest or (doubtful) a slight exhaust leak allowing the smell to be noticeable-again the latter is doubtful as well as you would hear the exhaust being louder...
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Hi,
my doubts were because there were no other symptoms being mentioned. That and the speed thing, most people notice the bad smell at idle.

Diagnosing is a mixture of theory, trying what's simplest and listening to the customers discription of/or observing the symptoms VERY carefully.

The symptoms, the lack of other symptoms, the circumstances under which they occur and are observed are all important.

All that and a bit of guess work based on statistical likelyhood.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
Hi,
my doubts were because there were no other symptoms being mentioned. That and the speed thing, most people notice the bad smell at idle.

Diagnosing is a mixture of theory, trying what's simplest and listening to the customers discription of/or observing the symptoms VERY carefully.

The symptoms, the lack of other symptoms, the circumstances under which they occur and are observed are all important.

All that and a bit of guess work based on statistical likelyhood.
You don't have to get all technical I was basically agreeing on your thought process in the end but giving other possibilities even though the chances are minimal...
Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM

Registered SVX

I had a battery in a CRX that went Bad, and it smelled exactly like rotten eggs.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Yes 1986, we agree.
I was just offering some thoughts to others trying to diagnose or wondering where to start diagnosing problems.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 PM

Yeah I am going to try to replicate the problem and see if I can discover anything else that might have triggered it. Also it will allow me to figure out and give a few more specifics on the problem. I am going to look at the battery tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Things Fixed Thus Far

Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 PM

"I am going to try to replicate the problem"... Ha, another burn around at eighty? Lucky!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:38 PM

If I must, hahaha I can't wait. Although that means finding a highway then passing people in the while in the left lane, but around here though I could prob just sit in the right lane.

Things Fixed Thus Far