SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Don't lapse ins. in MD!!!

I had a lapse in my insurance for 2 days a while ago, back in August, I believe. I recently received a letter from the MVA saying that I owed them $150.00.... Wtf? For what?! It seems the more i looked into it, I started to realize that they charged me $150.00 for the 2 days I was not insured.. I'm not even sure if I was not insured in the first place but they seem pretty sure that I had no coverage.

I had my insurance company send them 4 faxes to prove that I had insurance but that wasn't enough. I had to contact my OLD insurance company and have them prove that I had insurance and then had to contact my FIRST insurance company so they could prove I had insurance for the state of WV.. Now they are saying I have an unverifiable driving record..

Anybody know WTF that means?! Cause I certainly don't. I'm going to see if they'll maybe waive the fee's for the whole 2 days "uninsured" and maybe cut me a break.. I don't even have 50 cents... I'm broke. How do I pay anything?

Anybody think I've got a case here to just tell them my new insurance company just didn't do their job right and filed my insurance late? Or do I just pay the $150.00 somehow?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Re: Don't lapse ins. in MD!!!

I would not give them a dime if you are in the right. Stupid government workers....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Lol.. I work for the state.. :P

Anyway maybe they are right and I have my records wrong. I still can't afford the $150.. Should I go through with it anyway? It may get my insurance company in trouble and I don't want to risk someone else job cause I wanna save $150..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

What will they do if you don't pay them? Are they threatening to suspend the registration on your car?

There is more and more of this going on with governments in this country. Zero "customer service". No willingness to investigate their "facts".

I should end this post before I really get started!
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Is this a state agency? Was this during a move from WV to MD?
To the point, can you claim or even prove that you didn't drive the vehicle in question within the state during the questioned 2 days?

The way we Wisconsin people work is everything is dependent on when and where you drove the car.... for new registration you get a sticker for the month when you first drove the car.... a date which you provide and don't really have to prove...

Just food for thought....
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Is there a law stating somewhere if you don't have insurance yet own a car you have to pay the MVA $75 a day? Do you live in Communist Russia?

--
Nevermind.

Quote:
Maryland law requires that all motor vehicles registered in Maryland be insured by a company licensed in Maryland and carry coverage of $20,000 for bodily injury per person, $40,000 for bodily injury for two or more people, and $15,000 for property damage.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-23-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

No it's all a mess here.. One day without insurance will get you a nice $150.00 fine... ONE day.. I really don't thinks it's fair but if I had a lapse in insurance, guess I'll pay it
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 AM

It probably wouldn't be wise to ignore a $150 tab from the state without first resolving the trouble. If you feel you're in the right and have evidence to support your claim, you should persist.

As to any state's requirement that motorists must maintain automobile insurance coverage: Why should the rest of us have to pay higher premiums to cover damages caused by uninsured motorists? There's nothing devious or sinister about requiring drivers to maintain a minimum of responsibility.

dcb
Old 01-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
It probably wouldn't be wise to ignore a $150 tab from the state without first resolving the trouble. If you feel you're in the right and have evidence to support your claim, you should persist.

As to any state's requirement that motorists must maintain automobile insurance coverage: Why should the rest of us have to pay higher premiums to cover damages caused by uninsured motorists? There's nothing devious or sinister about requiring drivers to maintain a minimum of responsibility.

dcb
I guess I didn't look at it like that before.. If they allowed anyone to be only "one day" without insurance, there is no telling what may happen! Imagine if everyone decided to have road rage that day..

You know how to put things into perspective.. When it comes to insurance coverage anyway..
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM

That's not too horribly confusing. I believe WI is the last state that doesn't legally require insurance.... Check that, it isn't illegal to not have insurance, it's illegal to get into an accident without insurance.... kinda like it isn't illegal to be on drugs. It's illegal to buy drugs, even to have them, but once they're in your system and not your pocket your fine. (and no, I don't do any, I just find it ironic) Better yet, if you do actually have insurance, you are required to have both 'uninsured motorist' as well as 'under-insured motorist' insurance. To make it more confusing, we're a 'no fault' state, even though we still have an abundance of people who seem to believe "go ahead I'll brake check you and sue you".... doesn't matter, you both get the full brunt of the hit.

All I know is I really like insurance this week. My new insurance (switched carriers) kicked in on the 13th... when getting the quote I debated for a while if I should toss in the extra $9.25 for roadside since it's for a newer car and has never broken down..... well guess what, on the 19th, my alternator took a dump and left me for dead in the middle of a busy intersection at rush hour..... now I basically got 1/3 of my insurance premium back to pay for the tow...

Kinda suks though... down there you have a lapse and get a fine... here, we get a discount for when we don't have a lapse...
Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

I had a lapse years ago. It was like a day or two. They bombarded me with letters and i called them. I said I was switching insurance carriers. The lady said "so you drove for 2 days with no insurance?" and I said "No, i didn't drive those days." She came back with "hmm... ok." and that was the end. I got a bit lucky i guess, or got someone who was having apparently the first and last good day of work in all DMV history.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
I had a lapse years ago. It was like a day or two. They bombarded me with letters and i called them. I said I was switching insurance carriers. The lady said "so you drove for 2 days with no insurance?" and I said "No, i didn't drive those days." She came back with "hmm... ok." and that was the end. I got a bit lucky i guess, or got someone who was having apparently the first and last good day of work in all DMV history.
I switched insurance carriers and companies last week. The LAST time I switched from nationwide to allstate, I got SLAMMED on my credit report for (2) days that I refused to pay for. $104... It took 2 YEARS to get nationwide to ADMIT that I didn't owe the money, but my credit score was HAMMERED by the reporting agencies over the "Unpaid/Owed" bill. ( That was NOT OWED nor unpaid).. What really sucked about the whole thing was that I STILL had the same AGENT!!

It only ended up costing me about $10,000! I was in the process of refinancing my mortgage. I had $10,000 in 'closing costs' to pay. The loan was 'fixed' for 2 years, then I had to RE-re-finance to get a better rate, (pay ANOTHER $10,000 in 'closing costs' to get the rate that I would have gotten if the LIES were not on my credit report!!

I HATE insurance companies!! I HATE banks and lawyers! I HATE people that get rich off the backs of the people that MAKE this country WORK!!

GRRRRRRR!!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 01-28-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
I switched insurance carriers and companies last week. The LAST time I switched from nationwide to allstate, I got SLAMMED on my credit report for (2) days that I refused to pay for. $104... It took 2 YEARS to get nationwide to ADMIT that I didn't owe the money, but my credit score was HAMMERED by the reporting agencies over the "Unpaid/Owed" bill. ( That was NOT OWED nor unpaid).. What really sucked about the whole thing was that I STILL had the same AGENT!!

It only ended up costing me about $10,000! I was in the process of refinancing my mortgage. I had $10,000 in 'closing costs' to pay. The loan was 'fixed' for 2 years, then I had to RE-re-finance to get a better rate, (pay ANOTHER $10,000 in 'closing costs' to get the rate that I would have gotten if the LIES were not on my credit report!!

I HATE insurance companies!! I HATE banks and lawyers! I HATE people that get rich off the backs of the people that MAKE this country WORK!!

GRRRRRRR!!!
Agreed, I wanna become a hermit and go live in the wilderness of Canada or somethin.... With many SVXi and lifetime supply of gasoline

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: