Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM

Yet Another Spark Plug Question

This afternoon I started the process of changing the plugs for the first time. I started on the 2 front plugs on the passenger side because they looked the easiest. I got the air filter out of the way and disconnected the battery. Easy enough.

I removed the 2 coils but then realized my 5/8 socket wasnt long enough to remove the plug (I hadnt thought about that beforehand). So I put the coils back in, tightened up the bolts, basically put everything back together so I could go buy a 5/8 nut that would work.

I went to turn on the car to see if it would work and now it wants to start but just cant. When I turn the ignition, it sounds like the I have a dead battery (my interior lights and stereo work so the battery isnt dead) and then a second or two later I get a rapid clicking sound from the right side of the engine. I didnt touch any of the the plugs on the driver side or the rear one on the passenger side so it isnt those. I checked the coils and they are in great condition. No cracks or even really any wear.

Could it be that all I need to do is change the old plugs to the new ones I got or is it something else?

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? Thank you
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Re: Yet Another Spark Plug Question

Ignoring the spark plugs and coils completely this sounds to me like the starter got killed in the meantime.... give it a mild whack.... seriously.... every once and a while, when it's going bad, you can knock the brushes on the starter loose and get it to go, just don't bang the crap out of it.... a little tough love if ya know what I mean
Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Double check to make sure the coil pack connectors didn't come loose / disconnected while you were working with them? Mine wouldn't start or turnover at all because the rear one was loose.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM

It was the battery. The contacts were pretty corroded, so I cleaned those up and got a jump from my next door neighbor, and the car started fine. I will change the plugs tomorrow. I've had enough for today.

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it. If I have more trouble tomorrow I will be back here asking questions.