Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
One teal and One yellow

Would it cause any damage if there's "too much" cranking power?

I wonder if there's too much cranking power from the battery, would it cause any damage to anything such as starter??

Sorry, it's not for my SVX but I guess it still applies to the same theory. For my SVX, I don't worry it much, more cranking power is better, I have a 1000 cranking power battery in it.

My MX-3 V6 requires about 540 cranking power from the stock battery, but, I have a 1000 cranking power battery in it. Do you guys think it will cause any problems to my starter or electrical system in the long run? So far so good after the big battery, but I can really feel that my starter turns really, really fast in the morning and turns faster than it was. (just worry it might shorten my starter life in the long run) The rest of stuff feel good and stabil so far. The reason I got a much stronger (almost 100% stronger than it requires) battery was because it was under warranty. They didn't have the same model I bought from them and they put me on to the closest one they had to fit in my car. Still worry about some moving parts in my starter

Thanks if anyone has any good opinions.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 PM

Registered SVX
There is no way a larger capacity battery can course damage, provided the specified voltage for the duty involved is correct.

"Cranking Power" is the dream of the battery manufacturer. There is no such real expression of measurement. The voltage is always the nominated figure. Larger batteries with greater plate area can supply, on demand when presented with a low resistance/impedance, more amps/current without a drop in voltage.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
One teal and One yellow

Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel better.

But somehow I still worry about my starter abit, it actually doesn't need that much cranking power to turn to start my car, but now I give it almost 2x power than usual to do the work. I can really tell the difference it really spins a lot of faster than before especially in the morning. Is that going to cause the moving parts in my starter wearing out faster?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-10-2007, 10:42 PM

No, simply, no. If it's spinning faster it's because there was an issue with the previous battery, or connections.

At a relatively fixed voltage (12), we can talk about load in terms of amps or watts, but both are measures of how much current draw there is. Doesn't matter how much current is there to draw from. Unless it's not enough.

Think of it this way. At a certain pressure, your kitchen faucet will only deliver so much flow. Regardless of how big or full the reservoir is. You're worrying that your plumbing will be damaged because the rain filled the reservior.

Does that help?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel better.

But somehow I still worry about my starter abit, it actually doesn't need that much cranking power to turn to start my car, but now I give it almost 2x power than usual to do the work. I can really tell the difference it really spins a lot of faster than before especially in the morning. Is that going to cause the moving parts in my starter wearing out faster?
You appear to doubt the facts I have presented. The previous post gives a good basic idea of what is involved.

Consider that voltage equals pressure, Amps volume of flow and Watts delivered power as a result of volts/amps passing to the load. The voltage is fixed by the design of the battery involved, i.e. the pressure which CAN/WILL be delivered. The amount of power "absorbed" is dependent on the resistance of the load. (In this case the starter motor). Your starter motor can not, will not, draw more current than that for which it is designed, no matter how many amps the battery is CAPABLE of delivering.

It would appear that you now have a battery which is more efficient than what you had previously, hence the starter is now receiving the amount of power required to operate properly. It will be a happy chappy not having to struggle on a slim diet.

N.B. This is NOT intended to be a scientific explanation of the exact situation. However the general principles do apply.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
SSSVX,
Focus on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Your starter motor can not, will not, draw more current than that for which it is designed, no matter how many amps the battery is CAPABLE of delivering.
While Trevor's post isn't a scientific explanation , it is an excellent one. Your battery is not capable of supplying more voltage, voltage is constant. It can only vary the current flow and even then, your battery will only supply the amount of current your STARTER requests. Key word is "supply" (not deliver). The battery isn't forcing power on your Starter. Your starter is taking it.
So, your starter is now getting the power it needed all along to operate smoothly. It should start up right away and by the sound of it, seems like it was originally straining to do its job. So if anything, you helped your starter.
Cheers!

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram