How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Do red ones get more tickets??

Question security system troubleshooting help wanted

'93 with security system that will not arm- (so I cannot program new remote- that's my real problem)
Security light turns off and when turned on blinks weakly @ 3-4 second intervals. No way no how can I arm system.
Is it possible that security module is fused or otherwise disabled or able to be disabled without the light turning off? The light seems different from my son's SVX- with the longer phase weak blink.
Seems to be 2 possible locations for these modules -'92's up under glovebox and later models in trunk- anybody seen one in a '93?
I don't know what it looks like and couldn't find one in subaruparts.com catalog so I'm really fishing here. Dealer no help as Canadian models didn't have security systems and all '93's are American. Also US models had auto seat belts that the dealer said the daytime running light models were wired to (so I just used a jumper as shown in How-to) Are the security systems somehow tied to US only function somewhere?
Where do I start? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 PM
AK Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Crysis
After my car got broken into one night my security system was messed up with similar problems that you have. I drive a 94 and my security module was in the trunk...donno where yours might be, but what they look like is a plain small black box with a tiny pin hole on one side and a white plastic screw inside the hole(used to adjust shock sensor) If I remember correctly, it has a flashly sticker on it stating, " warranty void if seal broken".

I had to buy another security module to fix mine. Try asking budfreak if he has one laying around.

Last edited by Crysis; 11-02-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
It's above the glovebox. Been there, done that, and after 2 modules failed to fix it gave up on it. Pay careful attention to the dismantle of the box if you don't want to end up holding extra screws and wondering what you missed. There is a fuse in the module behind the small slotted plastic cover. Hope you have better luck than I.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-02-2006, 08:38 PM

Thumbs up thanks

Doesn't sound like there is any testing of the unit- so check the fuse and replace - replace unit- give up- seems like a good protocol
did you leave the defective one in? or can I disconnect unit and leave off without confusing the car? (spent $40 on remote so may have a bargain remote for someone if I can't fix the system)
still feeling my way around my first svx so lotsa learning to do yet
thanks for the tip
Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Don't mean to discourage you Dave. I actually purchased a module from subaruparts.com and when it arrived looking like it had been banging around in a tool box the last 13 years, requested they replace it, which they were kind enough to do. While I had both units in my hands I tried both and was still unable to get the system into programming mode. About the time I was becoming afraid I'd blister the ends of both fingers and thumbs pushing that damn button, I gave up the fight.

Thankfully I'm not in a high crime area, park her in my garage every night, and CO parking lot under my office window days, so don't much miss the "security" part of the system. I DO however, miss the auto-lock/unlock. We have a couple good alarm shops in the area, and as soon as I finish pouring $$$ into my other "hole in the water" (classic Whaler) will probably pursue an aftermarket setup. You should leave a module in the circuitry as far as I know. If you can get a used one from another member you oughta try it. If you're succesful maybe it'll encourage me to give it one more "go".

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemm
did you leave the defective one in? or can I disconnect unit and leave off without confusing the car?
You can remove the module -- then your car will be just like models sold without it.

If you suspect the module is bad, removing it is probably a good idea. Otherwise there's a small chance it could do strange things like honk the horn or lock/unlock doors at inappropriate times.

Last edited by SVXdc; 12-03-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:54 PM

many thanks

I am very careful when altering ANYTHING on this electrical system (altho much less trouble than my Cooper S was)- when I can get into my garage I will remove the unit and look for a replacement- great to know I can remove it from the circuit without harm
Thanks again
Old 12-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I have an extra security module, PM me with an offer on it.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:44 PM

A new security module cured my security system woes. I got it on ebay.