How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-26-2002, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
engine heat question

hey all. first day of driving the SVX, put almost 100 miles on it. is it normal that after driving it for about 15-20 mins, to have there be a lot of engine heat? maybe it's cuz of the aluminum engine and all, but just a lot more heat than my 94 3.1 liter grand prix.
also, when driving on the highway, sometimes it's really quiet, other times it's a little noisy with the transmission, small shaking...not really sure what's going on. hope you all can help.
~zack

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 04-27-2002, 12:16 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: engine heat question

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthraXFan
hey all. first day of driving the SVX, put almost 100 miles on it. is it normal that after driving it for about 15-20 mins, to have there be a lot of engine heat? maybe it's cuz of the aluminum engine and all, but just a lot more heat than my 94 3.1 liter grand prix.
also, when driving on the highway, sometimes it's really quiet, other times it's a little noisy with the transmission, small shaking...not really sure what's going on. hope you all can help.
~zack
By engine heat, do you mean the temp guage goes up? My temp guage has never gone past the center line. In fact it consistently stays just south of center. If you're talking about your guage going up, no, that isn't normal. You may need a thermostat. May as well change the water pump and timing belt while you're at it. If you cam and crank seals are leaking, go ahead and have those done too. Get as much labor as you can while you've got that part of the car exposed.

I know that sounds "alarming" but, that's only if the temp guage is going up. If you just "feel" that there's a lot of heat when you open the hood, yes, that's normal. 230 ponies puts out a lot of heat.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-27-2002, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
thanks for the response. sorry i didn't include the part about the temp gauge staying right in the middle of it's range. looks like it's no where close to overheating, just a lot more heat than what i expected compared to my old 160 HP beast. thanks!
any ideas about the intermitant shaking on the highway?
~zack

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 04-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthraXFan

any ideas about the intermitant shaking on the highway?
~zack
That would be of concern to me. Does it feel like it's something mechanical, like the transmission? Or more like a tire out of balance?

-Mike
Old 04-27-2002, 12:56 PM
PDhamSVXer

intermittent shaking

I had a shaking problem shortly after i got my svx. It was not a constent problem but seemed to aoccur at random times when driving at roughly 60 mph or more. It turned out to be a faulty front passenger side caliper. One of the pistons on the caliper was sticking which caused it to "drag" against the rotor at times, this caused the shake. Just something to think about.

Paul

92' SVX lsl
custum exhaust
Old 04-27-2002, 01:01 PM
I_Alcyone_I

that would be fantastic if that's whats causing my shaking problems.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:36 PM

I'm having the shaking problem also. Was the caliper problem expensive to fix?

Dave
Old 04-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have noticed the problem on the heat coming out from under the car also. It is really hot! I only have one thing to say on this. The engine is too large.
Old 04-27-2002, 03:07 PM
PDhamSVXer

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
I'm having the shaking problem also. Was the caliper problem expensive to fix?

Dave
Yes unfortunatly the caliper problem was fairly expensive. The first problem is finding someone with a svx rotor in stock. (the rotor was so damaged with heat marks from the caliper it also need to be replaced) For example I live in Wisconsin and after over a day of searching my mechanic (a very good guy, and great mechanic) finaly found one in California. So to answer your question it wasnt cheap. I had the caliper, rotor and both rear wheel bearings replaced on that visit to the shop. My total bill was $1100 and i want to say just over $600 of that was for the caliper, rotor and labor for replacing them. I could give you an exact number soon, but my receipts are at home and i am at school.

Paul

92' SVX Lsl
Custom Exhaust
Old 04-27-2002, 11:46 PM

Registered SVX
Don't jump to the conclusion that you have a calliper problem as that would be an unusual cause of the problem. You should check the obvious ones first but this could be a good tip if you find nothing else wrong.

The engine does give the impression of a lot of heat. I had the same doubts when I first got my car. It is normal and I think due to the flat low sectioned engine filling the engine bay but the engine is not too big! Another 750cc would not do any harm given the weight of the car.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-27-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:48 AM
One teal and One yellow

i think..

your case shld be normal. i know what kinda heat you're talking about. when i was buying/testing diff diff SVX....i also noticed that. but, this is one of the hottest cars so it's full of heat.. i just try to use the good motor oil/fluid/coolant hope my car is not so hot. but the heater(eco mode) in winter is already working really well enough.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05