Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Chike:

I went back and re-read LAN's thread on the Stage2v4 chip. Looks like I misread it the first time. Looks like there are further gains to be had by changing to the Impreza FPR. So, that'll be my next mod, along with fixing the coolant leak for track days next spring. Thanks for pointing that out.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Chike:

I went back and re-read LAN's thread on the Stage2v4 chip. Looks like I misread it the first time. Looks like there are further gains to be had by changing to the Impreza FPR. So, that'll be my next mod, along with fixing the coolant leak for track days next spring. Thanks for pointing that out.
Correct. The Impreza fpr should be your next upgrade. Are you into drag racing at all? If so, got to your local 1/4 mile track and do some runs. As you keep modifying your car, you can gauge improvements in hp from how much your trap speed increases.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Chike:

Will give it a try

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Chike:

Will give it a try
Shotgun,

You have a PM.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Stock brakes are just fine! I'd say we're stopping around 145-150ft from 70 with absolutely no fade and our ancient rotors aren't warped in the least.
That may be true but how many times can you do this in a row? Imagine doing nothing but back to back 1/4 mile races except HARD on the brakes and maybe even on the gas slightly while left-foot breaking.

I'm sure all our cars are good for 1 HARD stop.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
That may be true but how many times can you do this in a row? Imagine doing nothing but back to back 1/4 mile races except HARD on the brakes and maybe even on the gas slightly while left-foot breaking.

I'm sure all our cars are good for 1 HARD stop.
Well with both Hocrest and I driving the car in the same heat sometimes we haven't had an issue. Got the brakes so hot that the rear seized on a day that it got driven about 40 miles on a track. Granted we don't have metal in our pads like most people. I know that if we had slotted or cross drilled we probably would've cracked 'em by now. I'm not a huge fan of left foot braking. It doesn't seem to work when you have the equivelent of a 300hp SVX. Rear comes around a little too nicely.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I have Ben's drilled and slotted rotors. I did four 25 minute sessions each day for a total of about 100 miles, I would guess. In any event, it was a whole tank of gas. No fade, no issues on the brakes. On my 92 LS-L, which I had for 7 years, and about 50,000 miles, I replaced the rotors in year 5, because they had warped. Ben's set-up just feels a lot more competent in hauling the car down from speed. When I get on Route 1 every morning to go to the train station, I usually floor it and get up to about 80 to make the next light which is at a traffic circle (about 6am, so no traffic issues). Timed lights, you know. With the stock pads and rotors, it just wasn't confidence inspiring, to pull down from 80 to about 5, standing on the brakes. The current set-up feels great. At the track, also, it afelt good throughout the entire day. They haven't cracked yet.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Chike:

Don't be surprised to find the coolant is actually coming from the overflow tank. What you've described is exactly what happens to my car when autoX'ing on really hot days - before I put a hose clamp on where the tube from the top of the radiator attaches to the overflow tank. When things get really hot the fluid will blow out of the tube and onto the frame rail and into the driver's side wheel well. Under normal driving conditions everything stays dry, as the fluid doesn't get as agitated/hot and will just go into the tank.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker