How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-27-2001, 01:03 PM
Lowered SVX

Question

Does anyone have the intake resonator removal instructions? Me and a friend are going to remove mine. At one time I think I printed them off the Kinetic Concepts website but I just cannot remember. If you have them can you please email them to me at leohill@myself.com, thanks in advance for your help.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-28-2001, 01:21 AM
zsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
Does anyone have the intake resonator removal instructions? Me and a friend are going to remove mine. At one time I think I printed them off the Kinetic Concepts website but I just cannot remember. If you have them can you please email them to me at leohill@myself.com, thanks in advance for your help.
I don't have a link to the instructions but it's really easy.

Take the skid plate off. Remove the splash guard in front of the passenger side front tire (it's held on by clips and one screw I think). The resonator is held on by 3 screws. Two are toward the front of the vehicle which you can see easily by looking up at the resonator from below. The third one holds it to the wall of the engine bay and is right next to your air box. After those three are removed you should just be able to pull the resonator out. The pipe from the resonator goes into the air box a little bit, something to watch for if you find that its not coming out easily.
Old 04-28-2001, 07:12 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Resonator removal

Just keep in mind that the stock setup feeds cool air into the engine, and that if you replace it with a conical filter that draws hot air from the engine compartment, you may not be getting what you expect out of it. Take a peek at the Yahoo message database - there was quite a lot of discussion of this last fall. A couple of owners that have performed this mod have put the new filter in the fender well, and run piping to join up with the exiting intake. That way, they get the benefit of a less restrictive intake, coupled with cooler air drawn from the fender well.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-30-2001, 12:25 PM
blonde_man

Intake Tips

Shouldn't this be in the Tech or Mod section?

Anyway, I'd leave the pipe that goes into the air filter box. It seals off the hot air from the engine compartment and sucks in the cool air. When I removed the resonator, I just cut the pipe in half (at the slotted bend that is inside the resonator), and left it attached to the air filter box. Other wise you'd lose power by sucking in the hot air from the engine bay, like SVXTER said.

While drag racing on Friday (check out my post in the mods section), I thought of an interesting use for that resonator, and a reason for keeping it in place!. A lot of guys at the track pop their hood and put ice on their intercooler, etc, to keep the engine from suffering too badly from heat. Well we could open the air filter box, remove the filter panel, put ice down the hole into the resonator to keep the intake temps cool! There are drain holes for water, so it'll drip out once it melts.

You couldn't put too much ice in though, or else you'd clog the filter, unless you modified the resonator a little. I'd suggest removing the the second half of the resonator pipe that goes upward and sucks the air down into the resonator. Then you could fit a lot more ice into the resonator, by filling it up!!

What do you think? I'm wishing I still had my resonator!! That's okay though, I'm planning to do a ram air setup anyway, by cutting a hole in the air dam (right in front of where the resonator was), install a trumpet/funnel, and then send a pipe directly into the stock air filter box. It should give me some good boost at high speeds!
Old 04-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Lowered SVX

resonator reply....

i am going to leave the stock air filter box. i have a drop in k&n filter in there. i just want to remove the resonator. i will probably follow the instructions that were given on the kc website at one time. they talked of running a small tube out throught the right fender well so that you could pick up cool air. we will see i may have toss some ideas around as to exactly what i want to do and what i am trying to accomplish.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-01-2001, 07:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ice in the resonator

Hmm....
That might cool down the initial shot of air when you are sitting waiting for the light to go green, but after that the air would flow too fast for the ice to have any effect on the air temperature as it passed by. You could test it the same way SCC did some "cold air" intakes by inserting a thermocouple in the intake.

But to test the theory ...
I think I will go set a block of ice on the end table next to my mug of beer. If I drink slow enough - it may have enough time to cool the beer down! Who knows - maybe I will catch a buzz quicker the colder the beer gets!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.