Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-10-2005, 07:58 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Tires, how much difference is too much?

I picked up a nail in my front left tire and it cannot be repaired (has about 5/32" left). These are my winter tires, so I don't really want to replace them. There's a used tire on ebay with 7/32", is that too much of a difference?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-10-2005, 08:11 PM

I'm not sure where I read it, but I seem to think Subaru cautioned about tires more than 1/4" in circumference could have an impact (2/32" tread depth difference results in a little less than 1/2" diff in circumference - if I punched the buttons correctly). If you have to do it, then I'd put it on the right front (at least that's the tire that wears fastest for me). Then maybe run a pound or two less air pressure.

Handling sure wouldn't be optimized, but I think (note emphasis) it would be OK as far as not causing mechanical damage - mostly as the front diff is open - or at least that's how I reasoned it out to myself.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Concidering I only use the tires for about 1000 miles/yr, I think I'll be safe. I was actually planning to take them off over the weekend. I'm not sure if I should get the one on ebay now ($40) or see if another pops up before next winter, provided I still have the car then.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
I'm not sure where I read it, but I seem to think Subaru cautioned about tires more than 1/4" in circumference could have an impact (2/32" tread depth difference results in a little less than 1/2" diff in circumference - if I punched the buttons correctly). If you have to do it, then I'd put it on the right front (at least that's the tire that wears fastest for me). Then maybe run a pound or two less air pressure.

Handling sure wouldn't be optimized, but I think (note emphasis) it would be OK as far as not causing mechanical damage - mostly as the front diff is open - or at least that's how I reasoned it out to myself.
I believe only 2/32 of an inch is a 0.1963495408494 inch difference in circumference.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deruvian
I believe only 2/32 of an inch is a 0.1963495408494 inch difference in circumference.
Well, all I've got to say is:

a) I can't do arithmetic, or

b) you fogot to put the 2/32 on top AND bottom - which comes out to approx .393 inch

actually either way I lose since I first calculated something around .49"
Old 03-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I just did the calculations and got the same results: 0.19 * 2 = 0.38" difference with 2/32" difference in tread depth.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Close, but....

Try ±¼" Diameter, not circumference.

Don't feel too bent over. As drive/traction/brake/stability systems become more and more complicated, tire dimensions become more critical. Until the OEMs begin writing fuzzy logic into these systems to allow for such problems, tire wear/damage replacements will continue to be a sore subject for vehicle owners. There is a lot of harrumphing going on in DC regarding these issues and tire safety. Next edict will likely be inclusion of tire pressure monitoring across the board. People are just too lazy/stupid (isn't it funny how lazy and stupid almost always go hand-in-hand?) to check their tire pressure/oil level/etc. and would rather spend $$$ on computers to tell them to do simple, periodic checks. How did we ever make it all these years without this stuff?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

So, Ah, Beav let me see if understand you. Someone stupid and lazy forgets to check the right front air pressure in their tire. Then this person drives at about 90mph and hits a pot hole blowing out the tire. They lose control of the car and crash into a bridge and die. Why? Because they are stupid and lazy.

I guess you would say they deserve to die?

I would agree.

All our lives and would be a lot simpler and less costly if we stop trying to protect stupid lazy people and it really doesn't matter if some days I fall into that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Close, but....

Try ±¼" Diameter, not circumference.

Don't feel too bent over. As drive/traction/brake/stability systems become more and more complicated, tire dimensions become more critical. Until the OEMs begin writing fuzzy logic into these systems to allow for such problems, tire wear/damage replacements will continue to be a sore subject for vehicle owners. There is a lot of harrumphing going on in DC regarding these issues and tire safety. Next edict will likely be inclusion of tire pressure monitoring across the board. People are just too lazy/stupid (isn't it funny how lazy and stupid almost always go hand-in-hand?) to check their tire pressure/oil level/etc. and would rather spend $$$ on computers to tell them to do simple, periodic checks. How did we ever make it all these years without this stuff?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Well... that's a large part of it. Not only are low inflation pressures dangerous at high speed but those that can't pay attention and drive worth a flip to begin with are costing all of us money. Active traction control along with ABS and stability control require tight control of rolling circumference. Small tire differences make a large difference to these systems. If a wheel speed sensor shows one wheel not turning within a certain speed of the others and steering wheel input doesn't match accelerometer and yaw inputs the box will assume there is a traction or stbility loss and begin applying brakes at various positions in order to keep the vehicle under control. Whatever happened to the good ol' buttometer? I guess audio/video options, communications and nav systems have taken precedent over many driver's ability to just pay attention and drive. Now we need the government to step in and save us from ourselves again. Funny, when I first began bringing home a paycheck the powers that be only took about 17% for taxes. Now I just figure gross -40%. I dang sure don't feel like I'm getting anything now that I didn't get then. Well, maybe the pain in my fanny is a bit more intense...

Last edited by Beav; 03-14-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Stoopid And Lazy

Pulled over a woman on the freeway only yesterday traveling at 80 plus. Blew by me in the fast lane and I noticed the tire, then the kids, so I chased her down. The right front on her van was nearly flat. She had two kids in the van!
Unfortunately since it seems most people can't push a lever to signal while changing lanes at 75 plus on a crowded freeway, expecting the same folks to go to the trouble of checking tire pressures appears unrealistic. As far as I'm concerned she should get her tubes tied. She's too stoopid to have kids, OOPS, too late.
WGJ