How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-17-2003, 05:40 PM
92pearlbob

Thumbs down it went boom

so i was driving and i heard a thud and a boom, and a grinding sound and it frankly scared the **** outta me. so then i stopped the car, put it in park and it starts rolling backwards down the hill. i brought it to a transmission place and they said something along the lines of "your front differential exloded and broke and metal chips got into your transmission and from there into your radiator, you'll need a new radiator also" and they're saying to fix this it'll be almost 4 grand.

does anyone have any thoughts on this.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
My first thought, and I apologize if I sound rude in light of your unfortunate situation, is that this belongs in the 'tech Q&A' forum.

The transmission cooler is actually part of the radiator. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the radiator needs to be replaced. Metal pieces in the transmission undoubtably circulated through the cooler, but I don't remember whether or not there's any way for it to get clogged. I think some MY SVXs had some sort of metal mesh in there.

$4000 is on the high end of a typical SVX transmission replacement. I'd recommend looking elsewhere. We've seen prices from low $2k to about $4k.

I'm sorry you had something so unfortunate happen to your car. Many of us have been in the same position - the transmission really is a solid piece of machinery, Subaru just botched the cooling. As for the diff exploding, I've heard of it happening, but I have heard no explanation.

I recommend, when you put in a replacement transmission, adding an aftermarket ATF cooler (so you could skip the stock cooler entirely, which means you wouldn't need a new radiator) and filter.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-17-2003, 07:37 PM

My differential internally self-destructed as well (FYI, a sliver of aluminum from around the area where the right front axle passes through the case decided to flake off and jump into the ring & pinion - AL may be soft, but it's not compressible and the steel gave it up). However, no metal parts pierced into the transmission. It would take some serious damage for that to happen. Not saying it didn't, but I'd certainly want another opinion. You will have to drop the tranny, find another diff and mix & match between the two. I don't believe Subaru will give you core credit for an exploded diff. Cheapest path might be to get a bad tranny from someone and have it rebuilt.