Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2003, 12:40 PM
arondale

Alcyone SVX - How were they different?

if the alcyone svx was unique, what made it so? from what i have read it did not have more power. it seems to me exterior mods only. so, what was different?

at first i thought the alcyone was to subaru (but we know that is STi), just as amg is to mercedes, svt is to ford, or mtm is to audi... but not so. not a single engine mod that increases performace from what i have seen.

for you svx history junkies, how are they different? was it just an emblem, plastic boxer engine cover, different rear wing, etc. that made them different over in japan?

the reason why i bring this up is because a bunch of people seem to gravitate toward badging their american svx as an alcyone...but when other modders to this to other cars, it usually is done to represent the car has more power.

i might badge my svx as an alcyone, but only after some performance mods.

just an observation,
arondale
Old 11-16-2003, 12:50 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
There are only 3 cars with the lable Alcyone that FHI created. 2 of them are production and one of them is a prototype.

Alcyone is more of a brand name of Subaru/FHI. It's like Acura to Honda kind of deal but never truely took off.

The cars which holds the badge alcyone are:

XT/XT6
SVX S3/S4/S4II/L/E (all are non USDM models ... In US it's sold as Subaru SVX (L/LS/LS-L/LSi/LE))

Amadeus (prototype -- check in my locker for photos)

The thing is all SVXes have the same hp so it does not mean if you have the alcyone horns does not mean you are riceing your car out. It's just a different factory badge that you can get. In another word, putting horns on your car is not the same as honda ricers putting TypeR badge on a none TypeR car.

FHI does have STi. And STi is not Alcyone. Alcyone is just a line of cars FHI created.

I hope that answer your question. It's sort of like calling Honda Integra in Europe and Acura Integra here in the US or Mitsubishi Montero, Pajero, Shogun. Same pile of poop, just a different name and slightly different look.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 11-16-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Not to be an ass...but it seems like there's been a recent influx of new people (good) all asking questions that have been answered 1000 times in the past (bad). Please try using the search button in the future, and that way you can hopefully find a thread that already exists about your inquiry, and we can keep all the related information in one spot. It's a lot easier for everyone, in my opinion.

- Rob
Old 11-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Weeeelll... not to be mean but if we all used the search to find the information we need, then there'd be very little conversation around here. Besides, sometimes newbies don't really know HOW to ask the right questions of a search... a real person is usually a lot more forgiving.

Old 11-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
What would be more useful? A 5 page thread on what is the difference between an acylone and an SVX, with tons of information, or 50 threads of the exact same subject with bits of information scattered throughout all of them?

- Rob
Old 11-16-2003, 03:16 PM

It's ok guys. If I don't answer it, someone else will or use the search and paste the answers to the previous threads.

It is annoying at times but I think the usefulness of the search function is not really noticed till you have been on a forum for a while since I noticed that in all the forums I have registered.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 11-16-2003, 05:27 PM
arondale

Chicane - nice to meet you too! sorry I do not conform to the way you would like me to use this forum. No worries.

Seraph - thanks! you saved me from searching through 5 or more pages I did not have to read. you pretty much summed it up for me in one paragraph.

Thanks again,
Arondale

Last edited by arondale; 11-16-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
There are only 3 cars with the lable Alcyone that FHI created. 2 of them are production and one of them is a prototype.

Alcyone is more of a brand name of Subaru/FHI. It's like Acura to Honda kind of deal but never truely took off.

The cars which holds the badge alcyone are:

XT/XT6
SVX S3/S4/S4II/L/E (all are non USDM models ... In US it's sold as Subaru SVX (L/LS/LS-L/LSi/LE))

Amadeus (prototype -- check in my locker for photos)
Alcyone was a model name rather than a brand name. The JDM XT was the Subaru Alcyone and the SVX was the Subaru Alcyone SVX. Although most Japanese refer to the SVX as just Subaru Alcyone.

SVX models were: L/E/S40/S40II/S3/S4.

Also here is a picture of another one-off JDM SVX, shown at the 1991 Tokyo Motor Show. Notice the green ecsaine seats.
(Big file for dial-up users)

http://susuki.sakura.ne.jp/~poyo/svx_GA.jpg

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz

Alcyone was a model name rather than a brand name. The JDM XT was the Subaru Alcyone and the SVX was the Subaru Alcyone SVX. Although most Japanese refer to the SVX as just Subaru Alcyone.

Also here is a picture of another one-off JDM SVX, shown at the 1991 Tokyo Motor Show. Notice the green ecsaine seats.

Thanks Paul for the info.

What kind of green is that? This is the FIRST GREEN SVX/CAR I love. WOW. If I can fall in love with this green, Randy can fall in love with some shade of yellow.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:11 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:

The text at the bottom is rather difficult to read in the picturem but it appears to say:

Alcyone SVX GreenishAir
Overall Length: 4655mm Overall Width: 1770mm Overall Height: 1300mm Wheelbase: 2610mm
Engine Type: Normally Aspirated, 3.3-Liter, DOHC, 4-cam, 24-valve, Horizontally Opposed, 6 cyl.
Max Output: 240ps/6000rpm Max Torque: 31.5 kg-m/4800rpm.
VTD (Variable Torque Distribution), 4WD, 4WS, ABS.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I like the spoiler, and the radio antenna is interesting. Nice factory rims too. If mine came with those I probubly wouldnt have changed them.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Quote:

Nice pic! Does he/she have any SVX items on their pages? I tried to backtrack through different html addresses but no success

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
'Greenish Air' - I love it!

I make greenish air any time I eat spicy foods.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE