SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: WHAT COLOR FOR MY NEW SVX?
METALLIC BLACK 3 13.64%
METALLIC BLACK OVER ELECTRIC BLUE PEARL 10 45.45%
METALLIC BLACK OVER CANDY APPLE RED PEARL 6 27.27%
METALLIC BLACK OVER ION BLUE MIST METALLIC 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2003, 09:20 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
after reading this thread, i am liking my twelve year old original paint job more than ever.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 11-06-2003, 05:49 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro

If you read Earls site, it says they use the best quality paints (better than lexus according to independent lab tests i think),
"best" and "quality" are advertising words. Their paint may exceed Lexus' in one of a hundred categories (like environmental cleanliness), but fail miserable in all the others.

Quote:
How could they offer a 6 year warranty if not?
Law of averages. Like Midas's "lifetime muffler". They count on a certain number of people selling their cars, totaling them, getting frustrated and taking it somewhere else. The few cars that they do get back because the owner holds onto it for a few years is built into their pricing structure.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Gig

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro

While it may very well look like ****, shouldn't it at least protect the car pretty well? How could they offer a 6 year warranty if not?
You're probably right that the paint will protect your car... why wouldn't it?

As far as the warranty goes, though, that's another story all together. Warranties have nothing to do with consumer protection... they are a marketing tool and nothing more. Believe me when I tell you this, I work in an industry that is very closely tied to marketing and, in fact, 80% of the work we do is for marketing firms. The statistics show that while offering a warranty will substantially increase consumer confidence, fewer than 1 person in 10 will file a warranty claim even if they are entitled to do so. Companies that warranty their work are 90% more likely to be selected by consumers than companies that don't.

The gentleman who would complain near the end of the warranty period each time is probably right about getting new paint on his car. But the reason it will work is because the paint shop probably won't resist at all. From what everyone is saying, $600.00 is so far under industry standards that it probably would cost a normal shop more than that just in wages for the tech to paint your car. This implies that the inexpensive paint shop is making bombastic claims, in order to attract customers, that they know won't stand up and will be covered under their warranty. Companies that do this are generally volume oriented, that's why they offer a service at a price four or five times less than competitors. Warranty work is simply calculated into their bottom line as an operating expense because, statistically, the shop will have a warranty overhead of less than 10%--it's just good business. Most people will let the warranty period lapse and then eventually go back and pay full price to have the inexpensive paint job done again because they were generally happy with the first one.

This in no way means that your warranty isn't good, it's probably very good as long as you hold the shop to it. Most companies are pretty good about honoring their warranties because it creates consumer good will. A consumer who has had a problem that was resolved easily is far more likely to use that company again then they are to look elsewhere. A company's willingness to make good on their claims creates an impression of integrity and concern for the consumer. This isn't to say it doesn't create integrity, just that the reasons for it are self-serving.

Anyway... just because the warranty says that the paint will last X length of time doesn't mean anyone thinks it will... it just means that saying it will attract lots of customers, most of whom won't hold them to their warranty. The warranty work that they do end up doing won't be enough to impact the bottom line and that's what makes a warranty work.

When a warranty does begin to cost a company money you start to see warranties that aren't honored, changes in the terms of the warranty, or product improvements designed to bring the product back in line with the warranty. That's when you see the true color of a warranty.

Last edited by Gig; 11-06-2003 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:00 AM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Gig
...fewer than 1 person in 10 will file a warranty claim even if they are entitled to do so....
well not this person. They're going to be held to it. And if there's another problem, my money is going to be refunded for a decent job.

i'm so pissed right now. i took a taxi to the shop, as they guaranteed the car would be done thursday morning. the car wasn't touched. and on top of that, the manager had an attitude with me. he said that it rained yesterday so they couldn't paint it. wtf? you can't paint a car indoors when it's raining OUTSIDE?! They guaranteed my car would be ready by lunch tomorrow. so i said great, are you going to refund me for the cab i took over here? he said that it was "stupid of you to come without calling, and just be happy the car's being painted for free!" i told him to lose the autitude, and the paint better ****in sparkle by tomorrow. he then said that it'll be what it is. no point in arguing with the asshole, so i left and said i'd be back tomorrow.

man i'm mad...dude came mad close to getting clocked out.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
That sucks, dude. It's getting painted for free, huh? What about the initial time you paid for it and they didn't do their frickin' job?!? That cost you extra time and no access to your car. Those kind of people are just terrible... it's like someone punches you in the nose, and then yells at you for hurting their hand with your face. Simply ridiculous. I'm thinkin' you should try to go over their heads to the owner and complain or something (if it comes out poorlly again).

Good luck, I hope it comes out OK... better than expected would be great.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 11-09-2003, 02:57 PM
nextcubepro

Well,

I saw the car parked outside and it looked fantastic. Yay!

THen I get out of my friends car, and I see that it's running, outside, in the ghetto, with nobody near it.

THen i look at the car up close. Vey pretty paint. Shines. Fairly smooth; not perfect, but okay. The I look closer. All that peeling ****? They just painted over it. They painted over the sunroof opening also. Then I look at the front. There's paint over the headlights, the hood emblem (the nice new JDM one), and the ****ing LISCENSE PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the door jambs, forget it. Don't even want to go there.

So I went in, ripped their car examples off the wall, asked the manager what happened. He claimed that it was a "perfect job" I told him he was out of his ****ing mind, and i'm not talking it like that. He told me okay, looks good for their store to have a decent car sitting outside.

So, I took the paint examples (all of them) , their flyers for my paint job stating how great the car should look, etc. Tomorrow, i'm raising hell. THey're giving me my money back plus estimates to have what they did "fixed". I have 4 places I went to that said it is outrageous. If they don't want to comply, they're getting sued along with 4 poeople I found in car rooms that have had the same problems for a whole lot more. False advertising, damaging a car that is a collectors item, and I went to very nice paint places who gavce me an estimate of $7k to fix it.

I'll get them. I'm so sad. Its not noticable unless you're very close, but jesus...the first job was better. I'm so sad. My SVX is disgraced.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane

That sucks man. Hopefully we can all learn a lesson here: When it comes to paint and body, you get EXACTLY what you pay for. I'm much happier with my dinged up 1/4 panel and chipped paint than I am with a cheap maaco job and a wavy 1/4. I'm saving to get the whole car repainted this spring.

- Rob
Old 11-09-2003, 05:15 PM
nextcubepro

You're soooooooooooooooooo right. You know, if u ddin't plan to keep the carforever, or just wanted some rust protection for the winter and give it a slight freshening, it's fine. But if you're like me and like stuff perfect, you're going to be like oh my god WHY did I do that!?

On a positive note, both shops removed dings flawlessly. Can't see a wave in the paint from any angle. So, that makes me think they got their **** together in that respect. And the paint looks great on the surface but will begin to peel (In a few weeks), and that tells me the quality of paint is decent. But really, their process to get the paint to adhere is so, sooooooooooooooo horrible! That's all they need to get straightened out, and better delailing. It would look great if they fixed those shortcomings, and I know anyone would be willing to pay an extra $200 in labor for that.

Damn...now I have a whole ordeal in front of me with this ****.