How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2003, 09:40 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Question for 5 speed owners.....

Those of ya that have 5 speed's in your cars, is the driveshaft very close to coming into contace with the bottom of the shifter??? Also is your forward Tranny mount almost touching the exhaust??? I am just wondering if with the very narrow clearences that will these contace any of the mentioned surfaces when the engine torques a certian way???? i.e. "Spirited Launches" or quick shifting??? Anyone had any encounters with this yet??? Just wondering what to expect... Thanks!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I am building my own custom crossmember (well not me personally, a fabricator friend of mine) to try and avoid this problem. I may also have narrower tube put on the front half of the driveshaft when I have it lengthened to allow more clearance for the shifter. Apparently, we can go about half the diameter if we use a stronger (more expensive) tube stock.

I will keep you guys posted.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-23-2003, 11:26 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: Question for 5 speed owners.....

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Those of ya that have 5 speed's in your cars, is the driveshaft very close to coming into contace with the bottom of the shifter??? Also is your forward Tranny mount almost touching the exhaust??? I am just wondering if with the very narrow clearences that will these contace any of the mentioned surfaces when the engine torques a certian way???? i.e. "Spirited Launches" or quick shifting??? Anyone had any encounters with this yet??? Just wondering what to expect... Thanks!!
do a search on my name, youll read all about my problems with this

Anyways to clear the driveshaft and shifter, is quite easy. If your having a banging contact when driving the car, you can shim the transmission mount by putting 3/16" worth of washers to drop the tranny mount down, along with a 3/16inch shim under the midshaft as well (if needed) and we had to weld 2 tabs to clear the driveshaft of the exhaust. hope this helps!
phil
Old 06-23-2003, 04:03 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

So if I have this problem I can just shim the tranny mounts.... That sounds easy enough... I just kinda noticed that when I was under it this past weekend... I have the Stebro and it dosen't seem to be having any problems contacting yet... But I'll look up all the problems that you had and see if I have any... Thansk Phast!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...