How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-02-2003, 09:16 PM
6evil9

Oxygen sensor problem

hey my check engine light comes on and comes off sometimes, i ve run that operation, and it gave me code of 32 which is oxygen sensor or circuit right side
where s that sensor and what can be the problem?
is the sensor on the right exhaust? if so , then i had power steering fluid all ova that place due to crack in power steer hose, now its fixed...

so how can i check the sensor or fix it
what does it do???

Help ppl pls

Cheers, Sergi
Old 06-04-2003, 07:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Last time I was under my SVX (yesterday), there were two sensors, one on each pipe right before each of the front two catalytic converters. If there isn't an individual code for each one, I'd say you're going to have to experiment (i.e.: buy a replacement and plug it in place of each on in turn, disconnecting the battery for a bit in between each trial) to find out which one it is, but there may be a cheaper and more easier way. Also, I'm not sure what year yours is, but OBDII cars should have a third one after the third cat, however in the case of an OBDII system each one should have an individual code to identify it.

I've got the same problem (mine's a '92), but my first two cats have failed along with one of the O2 sensors, and for some reason since I told the shop not to fix the cats (they want $1000US to fix it, I can get a pair of high-flows for about 200-300) he said he didn't need to fix the O2 sensor either. He didn't say which was bad, so I don't know which one to replace on mine either! Good luck from someone with the same woes.

As for what it does: the sensor checks the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas. Too much oxygen = incomplete combustion = higher emissions and also means that the system needs to compensate for the air coming in with more fuel. A bad O2 sensor will either detect more or less than the actual amount of oxygen in the exhaust, and compensate the system incorrectly, causing high emissions and/or high combustion temps that damage other parts of the exhaust, in my case thats probably what killed the front two cats. Granted, this is the US version, but I think O2 sensors are universal devices, in function at least.

Last edited by Reaper450128; 06-04-2003 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Reaper, more than likely you have a fuel problem that allows too much fuel into one bank. That would explain the meltdown of the cat and the O2 sensor. The ECU won't send more fuel than the system can handle, no matter what any of the sensors tell it to do (the long and short term fuel trims can only add or subtract so much fuel.) You may have an injector(s) that is not completely shutting off or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Just a heads-up...
Old 06-05-2003, 01:59 AM
6evil9

ok but...

I know it can be the right O2 sensor as i had power steering fluid all ova it, and problem became just afta that
any way to check it? as it can be bad contact there or some ****, i hope i did not kill it completely
problem is that there are only round 10-15 SVX in New Zealand and O2 sensors for them mite be different from usual subaru and we dont have many parts for subaru anyway so its a problem

so any way to check or repair 02 sensor?

thx
Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 AM
6evil9

oh by the way

how do i edit my profile up in here? and where s "how to" page?

cheers
Old 06-05-2003, 05:42 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I don't know of any way to repair an O2 sensor unless it has a broken wire or connector. If it had p/s fluid all over it I'd suspect it is ruined. Checking the sensors properly requires a good volt meter, preferrably a graphing meter. With the engine hot and the voltmeter hooked directly to the sensor's output the voltage should rise and fall, from .1v dc to around .8v . At 2500 rpm there should be 6-10 changes in a 5 second period.

You edit your profile by clicking the 'user cp' (control panel) button at the top of the page. The how-to locker is found in the personal lockers - click on the 'Personal Lockers' link at the top right side of the page.