Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-21-2016, 08:59 PM

Charging System Issue

I have a 94 SVX and have have a charging system issue which I think I've unknowingly had for quite some time. Many times over the past few months the engine turns over slowly before starting.

Let me start by saying that I have the alternator wiring upgrade. About a week ago all of my dash lights came on when I was stopped at a light. And occasionally my semi-high output stereo (500 watt amp) will cut out. The next morning I charged the battery, attached a voltmeter to the battery and it read about 12.2 volts with the engine off. When I turned on the engine, the voltmeter read 11.5 volts at the battery. With the engine still running, I moved the positive line of the voltmeter from the positive battery terminal to the top of the alternator - where the cable from the positive terminal of the battery screws in - and it read 15.7 volts.

So it seems that my battery isn't charging (due to the low reading at the battery when the engine is running) but that the alternator is putting out current. Any idea what the problem can be? I should also mention the battery is about 4 years old.

Thanks.

Larry
Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Charging System Issue

Sounds like you might have two problems here. Battery and alternator.

First if your alternator is putting out 15.7 volts you might have a problem with your voltage regulator. Should be putting out about 14 volts +/- 0.5

Overvolting can cause weird things to happen like you experienced (random/all dash lights coming on) and can damage components and even the battery. I had the dash lights issue too with the alternator that was in my SVX when i got it, had a high reading (18 volts!) so i knew the voltage regulator was toast. It cost just as much to get a new/refurbished alternator from Napa or autozone etc... as it would have cost to get a replacement regulator (svx alternator has internal regulator which tends to be more expensive I found) so i got a new alternator and the problem went right away.

12.2v at the battery with engine off is on the low side. 11.5v running is definitely worrying (should be reading similar to what the alternator is putting out which means its getting a charge). Check the wires for damage/correct hook up and have an auto store that offers free battery checks hook their reader up to it to get a definitive answer on battery condition.

It was about 6 months or so that I dealt with this on my svx so I might have remembered the voltage specs a little wrong, but should be pretty close. if someone more experienced has any corrections please do.

hope this helps man!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:45 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I agree with aurikai. 15.7 is too high. 4 years is often the lifespan for a battery depending on your location, driving habits etc. Overcharging or other electrical issues can shorten a battery's life considerably.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:34 PM

I ran the car in the garage for an hour, at idle, with the headlights on. If it was going to stall out I'd rather it happen in the garage. But it ran the entire hour without stalling. After an hour I rechecked the voltmeter readings. They read 12.7 volts across the battery (engine at idle with headlights on) and 13.7 at the alternator. With the headlights off they read about 13.0. But when I revved the engine up, the reading didn't change from the 13.0.

I read on this website that my original low reading at the battery after startup (around 11.5 volts) may be due to the starter using a lot of juice.

I'm encouraged that the car didn't shut off in the garage, but I'm not clear as to whether I have a charging issue or not.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Check the fuse-able link. The alternator charges the battery through this link, it may have a high resistance.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:38 PM

OK, I found the fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box. How do I test its resistance and what is considered out of spec?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I would order one anyway. PN 82301PA000. Less than $6.00.

If yourd turns out to be bad, you have a spare.
.These are nice to have around

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 10-22-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I believe everything, except the head lights, is supplied via the fusible link. Obviously resistance within this link would cause voltage drop throughout the system, dependent on the current load and associated problems. But no other malfunctions or symptoms are mentioned.

The alternator wiring modification should provide a direct connection between the alternator and the battery and bypasses the fusible link.

Provided that measurements are taken correctly, if at any time there is a difference in voltage at the main alternator terminal and the battery post, this circuit must involve resistance. In this event the reason for what must amount to a poor connection must be found and corrected.

All things considered, I would suspect a wiring modification issue.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM

With the engine running I attached the voltmeter leads to the alternator body and negative battery post and it showed a negligible amount of resistance. I then attached the leads to the positive alternator connection and the positive battery post and it showed several volts of resistance which would account for the problem. So I first checked all fuses and they were fine. i then cleaned all positive battery clamps and the battery post and that seemed to have solved the problem. With the engine running the battery now shows around 14 volts, alternator shows 14.5 volts.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemgee View Post
I attached the voltmeter leads to the alternator body and negative battery post and it showed a negligible amount of resistance. I then attached the leads to the positive alternator connection and the positive battery post and it showed several volts of resistance which would account for the problem.
Glad you got if figured out. Wise to be looking for a voltage drop than looking for resistance in ohms.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:56 PM

Wanted to close the loop on this. My engine died a couple of miles from my house a couple of days ago. Oddly enough, I'd just taken a 60 mile round trip at night a couple of nights prior with no problem.

When I got the car home on Friday evening I rechecked the charging system and there was clearly the same problem as before - with the engine running the voltage at the battery was lower than with the engine off, so there was resistance somewhere.

After replacing the positive battery to the starter cable with no noticeable change, I then replaced the cable going from the alternator to the battery. That was the problem. After replacing that cable (which is only a couple of years old - included in an alternator upgrade kit I used when upgrading the stereo) the voltage at the alternator and at the battery when idling, were all within spec.

Just wanted to post this so any future searches on this topic may be helped by this.