How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 AM

New U.K. owner.

Hi everyone,
I have just bought myself a Japanese domestic market SVX it was made in 91 but not registered till 93 and has 50,000 miles on it. It looks like its a four wheel steer model but not sure if its got active suspension as well as I'm just about to pick it up from the importer.
Many years ago I ran an Isuzu Vehi-Cross and found that parts were available quicker and easier buying from St Charles Isuzu here in the States, it could be a very similar situation with the SVX so could you guide me to a good spares dealer who could export parts to me here in the U.K. for starters I need 4 drive shaft gators/rubber covers.
By the way this is a very helpfull source of info on the SVX
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 AM

Re: New U.K. owner.

Welcome aboard !!

I guess I'm up early to have beaten Joe to the welcome waggon !! Be sure to stop by the European section for other UK owners and a chat.

You will find that the prices the UK Subaru dealers want to charge are tantamount to highway robbery, but at least most consumables are available from motor factors at reasonable cost. For anything specific you are better off arranging parts from the US, I used Subaruparts.com but I'm not sure if they are still the prefered supplier. Others who are current will tell you I'm sure.

Sounds like a cool car, never heard of active suspension but "the other UK Phil" has an early 4WS car. Just make sure the wheels are on the correct way round before posting any pictures...........

Phil.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW svx View Post
Hi everyone,
I have just bought myself a Japanese domestic market SVX it was made in 91 but not registered till 93 and has 50,000 miles on it. It looks like its a four wheel steer model but not sure if its got active suspension as well as I'm just about to pick it up from the importer.
Many years ago I ran an Isuzu Vehi-Cross and found that parts were available quicker and easier buying from St Charles Isuzu here in the States, it could be a very similar situation with the SVX so could you guide me to a good spares dealer who could export parts to me here in the U.K. for starters I need 4 drive shaft gators/rubber covers.
By the way this is a very helpfull source of info on the SVX
Check out www.subaruparts.com or www.1stsubaruparts.com for online parts. They are priced about the same.

There are some other alternatives as some members on here work at Subaru dealerships. I hope one of them will post some contact information.

Welcome aboard.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Thank you for the welcome and details of U.S. based suppliers. I didn't realise there was a U.K. section so that helps as I need to get more info. I bought a cd off e-bay that has the manual but can't get it to work. Not sure yet about the suspension because I read somewhere that some 4WS have it so I'll have a good look now I've got it home.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Hello DJW, and you are very welcome to the Forum. It's nice to have another UK owner on the Network.

Do give us some detail on your car when you get time to check it over. There are a number of registration fora here where we ask members to supply details from the VIN and the information board on the lhs suspension turret.

To date we have never found a car with active suspension, so I would suspect yours does not have it. I have a Japanese brochure showing details of air suspension on the pre release show car from '89 I think. This feature never made it to production.

I have a 4WS car in the UK at present, my friend Graham in Taunton is using it at the moment.

You may find like Phil says that it is cheaper to get certain parts from the States than buy locally. This is partly because they feel they have a God given right to charge you as much as they can get away with, and can also be if it's an SVX only part, they ship in from Japan and they charge you for the avgas the plane uses to bring it in. Certainly for light rubber boots that will be light on shipping you should find US prices cheaper.

There is an inner and outer boot on each half shaft, you did not say which you need. Outers, I expect. I'll give you part numbers for both:
  • Front, Inner, Right or Left #28023PA010
  • Front, Outer, Right or Left #28023PA001
  • Rear, Inner, Right or Left # 28023PA040
  • Rear, Outer, Right or Left # 28023PA050

You might want to confirm with your supplier before you buy or ship that these parts numbers are correct for your car. You do this by supplying them with your VIN number to allow them to cross-reference on their system.

I'm 99.9% sure they are right, but it's up to you to check, OK?

Nice to have you with us.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I bought a cd off e-bay that has the manual but can't get it to work.
No worries, you can download it for free at http://www.seccs.org/tech/manuals/1992_SVX/index.html

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Thank you again for all your help, now I know they are boots not gators.
Great a wealth of usefull information on the links you have provided don't feel quite so daunted now

Last edited by DJW svx; 08-26-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Thank you again for all your help, now I know they are boots not gators.
Great a wealth of usefull information on the links you have provided don't feel quite so daunted now
Well of course there are terminology differences between here and there. Like we don't have bonnets, boots (except as noted), screens or any such thing. We do know what they are--we just don't have them.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE