Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: Exploding Trannys, Disposable Bearings, Ellipsoid Rotors and other things...

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t
I got a kick out of some posts I saw in one of the other forums (you people know who you are- ) and thought I'd offer my insight.

* If an SVX transmission is not 'thrashed', has a generous-sized ATF cooler and filter installed, and is filled to a correct level with a good grade of synthetic ATF, it should live to a ripe old age (mileage). (Mine's doing fine at 131,000 mi's., thank you.)

* If you experience a bearing failure in your SVX (it can happen) but do not install it correctly (i.e, beat the crap out of it to drive it 'home'), nor fail to remove the 'storage' grease and completely repack with a good grade of synthetic bearing grease, you will probably be forced to do it again and again until you 'get it right'. (-remind you of grade school?) (Again- I have yet to experience a bearing failure at 131,000 mi's.)

* If you consistantly drive your SVX to high speed and repeatedly 'stand' on the brakes- and/or- you let some dimbulb work on your wheels or tires and 'airgun' them back on (instead of using a torque wrench at the proper setting, you will experience warped rotors. (I had to have my rotors 'touched up' only once so far.)

Eventually, every car I've ever owned needed to have the rotors 'turned' due to at least some level of warp and/or wear. Many years ago, I did get a shocking enlightenment from the Chrysler dealership when I returned our Grand Voyager to have them inspect and 'turn' the warped rotors (after a mere ~25,000 mi's.!?) only to have them announce that rotors are a 'wear' item and weren't covered under their (so-called) 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty. (Note- I've had the Subaru dealership replace headlights and other bulbs, as an example, without hesitation 'under warranty'.)

Well, (as my wife used to say-) 'am I right, or am I right?'

-Mark
Amen...
As I've tried to say before...we (members of this forum) are the vocal minority of SVX owners... The vast majority of the SVX owners out there (the ones that ignore us when we honk and wave... ) drive their cars and have them maintained just like the Buick that they owned before.

Kids racing, mod'ing and abusing cars seem to cry MORE about fixing them... I'm not saying that we don't have our problems with the car. I'm also not calling all of the younger members kids...
Just the ones that beat their cars and then whine about how bad the repairs hurt
You've got to believe somewhere deep in your heart that the 10,000 or so cars that aren’t discussed each day in this forum are running fine....at least I do.... in my heart I mean.....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .