Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Re: Car Just died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
good news about the maf is that you can just unplug it if it's making your car stall out, so at least you can know you will get home
bad news is it's not cheap
I have replace my MAF with the one on my outback 98. both car are running better than before... To get a cheap maf, go to the nearest junker and have a nineteens outback's
Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
if the maf isn't all the way plugged in it can cause a lot of problems but if the computer doesn't see anything from the maf it substitutes an inferred value based on rpm
absolutelly rigth. But don't just believe us... test it your self. Unplug the maf and start the engine.... then we talk.

The case of fun173 is one of millions you may never find again. At 90's, ECU's was on the middle of their teenage. Systems now are improved and continues improving. I wouldn't worry about having that experience again but, if it happens, just restart and go. SVX's ECU is one of the most "open book". It lets you know about even minimum problems, so, if there;s really a problem, your CEL will let you know.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Had an issue with the "Florida Claret" I drove home. While at OT's, what turned out to be a bad cam sensor would cause a stalling issue. I was able to unplug the MAF and start the car. It ran without issue because it just runs in open loop going off a base map disreguarding input from most sensors.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Registered SVX

my car has just started stalling ...
ran fine after i got the engine fixed (cost me about $4000 )
ran fine for the first few days of driving it , did a 500-600 km round trip yesterday ran fine the whole way then , got home , went to work not long after and it was changing gears very harsh , went to work today and it was still harsh , cam home then went back to work and just as i was pulling into the carpark it stalled , restarted it and had to give it gas going into gear so it wouldnt stall and parked it . finished work tonite and jumped in started it let it warm up and put it in D stalled , tried again in 1,2,3 and N and it stalls , runs perfectly idles perfectly but stalls when goes into gear .

any ideas what it is and how expensive it will be or should i just take the rego back off it and save up to get a 5 speed , im not going to bother getting the auto rebuilt if its screwed but ifits something relatively inexpensive il just do that for the moment till i can get a 5 speed and convert it
Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Registered SVX

it almost sounds like the torque converter lockup is engaged. Basically its acting like a manual you forgot to push in the clutch before stopping the wheels.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
it almost sounds like the torque converter lockup is engaged. Basically its acting like a manual you forgot to push in the clutch before stopping the wheels.
i agree. try putting in the fwd fuse and jacking the front wheels off the ground. if it runs in gear with your foot off the brake but stalls when you stop the wheels then the torque converter clutch is probably stuck. i have seen them be able to be unstuck by a good smack with a hammer but it doesn't always work.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
i agree. try putting in the fwd fuse and jacking the front wheels off the ground. if it runs in gear with your foot off the brake but stalls when you stop the wheels then the torque converter clutch is probably stuck. i have seen them be able to be unstuck by a good smack with a hammer but it doesn't always work.
i dont think there is a fwd fuse thing for the jdm/aust vtd boxes , or is there ?
il check the codes today and the tps when my dad lends me his multimeter
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
i dont think there is a fwd fuse thing for the jdm/aust vtd boxes , or is there ?
No there isn't. You could try the same thing with all 4 wheels off the ground though.

Maybe it's just an electrical issue with the torque converter lockup? I wonder if there's any way of testing that.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
No there isn't. You could try the same thing with all 4 wheels off the ground though.

Maybe it's just an electrical issue with the torque converter lockup? I wonder if there's any way of testing that.
you could cut the wire for the tc lockup solenoid at the tcu or unplug it from the trans
Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Quote:
you could cut the wire for the tc lockup solenoid at the tcu or unplug it from the trans
I think when the lockup switch goes its either locked or unlocked and so you have it perm locked or it never locks.
So unplugging the wire would not do much.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

il have to try that il need to tow it to a car shop to do it though the carpark is on an angle . ive got no idea, the a/c control is playing up too if i turn the heat up it goes back to 18* and the temp button works sometimes but not often (not so worried about that cos i have the heater core bypassed and dont use the a/c either )