Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: JDM Power switch pic or explaination plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Radio controls... and no they can't be wired (at least easily) to work in a USDM car
In the Japanese market, I believe there are two airbag configurations. The "normal"-sized airbag in the cars without the radio controls, and the smaller airbag for the wheels that have the controls.

I think the sensors and/or plugs are different from ours.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

I thought it didnt have an airbag...

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
You may be correct and I may be in error.

But I can't see how the governmental safety regulations could allow you to choose "accessory convenience" over safety. If driver's side airbags are mandatory, it should be that way all across the board. I am sure someone here knows the answer

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
Youy may be correct and I may be in error.

But I can't see how the governmental vehicle safety regulations could allow you to choose "accessory convenience" over safety. If driver's side airbags are mandatory, it should be that way all across the board. I am sure someone here knows the answer.

In this country you have the option of turning off the passenger airbag if necessary, using a key or button, but you still have it in place. As a driver, you have no option from the factory.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

It all comes down to which government we are talking about. Keep in mind, the USA didnt GET wheel controls. Japan most likely didnt then (who knows, do they now?) require driver airbags.

I wish Mike would pipe up and answer it... I'm fairly certain he did some hands on research.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
In the Japanese market, I believe there are two airbag configurations. The "normal"-sized airbag in the cars without the radio controls, and the smaller airbag for the wheels that have the controls.

I think the sensors and/or plugs are different from ours.

For the JDM market, the standard wheel was radio controls and no airbag. The airbag wheel was an option and had no radio controls.

Later models had no radio controls on the standard wheel (they were blanked out) and the airbag wheel was still an option. The last model (S4) had dual airbags as standard.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thanks for clearing this up once and for all. I knew the right answer was out ther... and that it would probably have come from you

Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
the jdm stock steering wheel is sweet...
what are those buttons on the wheel?
from a spotty memory:
left to right
-power
-seek
-am/fm
-volume down/up

and i was asking the same, about having them wired up
apparently it can be done via some 3rd party device that would hook into the wires from the wheel, and then into the back of your deck
and they would also be programmable apparently.
personally i'd reprogram the first three buttons into Mute (or leave on/off if the deck has no mute feature) then Previous and Next respectively, which could act as a manual seek if the radio is selected
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Here's the JDM steering wheel (click for larger version):
Looks like the order (L to R) is: SCAN, AM/FM, ON/OFF, Vol Down/Up

The USDM factory radio harness (connector i15) includes the wire for "Satellite Switches" (steering wheel buttons) at pin #16. However, I don't know whether it connects all the way up to the clockspring connector behind the steering wheel.

It will go at least as far as connector i9, i10, or i11 (three large interconnect harnesses under the dash). The question is whether the mating bulkhead harness (B78, B79, or B80) includes the wire that goes on to the next stop, which is probably B54 (also used by the horn and cruise buttons). Or whether it goes over the next hop from there out to the clockspring.

Last edited by SVXdc; 03-31-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Here's the JDM steering wheel (click for larger version):
Looks like the order (L to R) is: SCAN, AM/FM, ON/OFF, Vol Down/Up

The USDM factory radio harness (connector i15) includes the wire for "Satellite Switches" (steering wheel buttons) at pin #16. However, I don't know whether it connects all the way up to the clockspring connector behind the steering wheel.

It will go at least as far as connector i9, i10, or i11 (three large interconnect harnesses under the dash). The question is whether the mating bulkhead harness (B78, B79, or B80) includes the wire that goes on to the next stop, which is probably B54 (also used by the horn and cruise buttons). Or whether it goes over the next hop from there out to the clockspring.
The thing I've never understood, is how 5 buttons connect to just 1 wire. I guess one day I'll take it apart and have a look.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

I don't know if Phil uses his steering wheel buttons, but when I had them on Plum I found them to be more decorative than functional.

To explain; the buttons are small, and because you are turning and rotating the wheel while driving, to use them you have to take your eye off the road to find them. Straight road steady speed driving is the only time it is useful to have them.

I never used the seek function, it is easier from the radio face. Sometimes, but rarely, I would use the volume control, but did not bother much with the FM/AM button.

The one button I used most was the on/off switch. It was handy for talking to toll operators or other people outside the car as you did not have to lean over to the central console. To me anyway the only useful button to have on there might be a mute button, so I agree with Alcyone on this one.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
The thing I've never understood, is how 5 buttons connect to just 1 wire. I guess one day I'll take it apart and have a look.
Easy: They use a resistor network. Here's how Subaru did it on the 2005 Legacy/Outback:
ADDED: The 2008 has "Mute" instead of "Power," and added a resistor in series between the two nodes (dots) to the right of the top button in the above diagram.

Here are the resistance values in a 2008 Impreza:
Code:
  22 Ω  - Mute
  90 Ω  - Volume up
 200 Ω  - Volume down
 360 Ω  - Mode
 690 Ω  - Seek up
1.15k Ω - Seek down

4.7k Ω  - Nothing pressed
(from Added Steering Wheel Controls & Tweeters to base model 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX on mp3car.com)

On the SVX, one side is probably tied to ground at the steering wheel.

I'd really like to find out what the values are for the JDM SVX wheel. Anyone out there with one who can measure them? (you can do it at the radio harness rather than having to remove the wheel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I don't know if Phil uses his steering wheel buttons, but when I had them on Plum I found them to be more decorative than functional.
On newer Subarus (and other cars) the buttons are now where your thumbs can hit them, even when you're in a slight turn.

On the JDM SVX, do the Seek and AM/FM buttons do anything while you're listening to a tape or CD?

It just occurred to me — does that mean the JDM radio has up/down buttons for volume (instead of a rheostat knob like on the radios in SVXs without that steering wheel)?

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Easy: They use a resistor network. Here's how Subaru did it on the 2005 Legacy/Outback:
Here are the resistance values in a 2008 Impreza:
Code:
  22 Ω  - Mute
  90 Ω  - Volume up
 200 Ω  - Volume down
 360 Ω  - Mode
 690 Ω  - Seek up
1.15k Ω - Seek down

4.7k Ω  - Nothing pressed
(from Added Steering Wheel Controls & Tweeters to base model 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX on mp3car.com)

On the SVX, one side is probably tied to ground at the steering wheel.

I'd really like to find out what the values are for the JDM SVX wheel. Anyone out there with one who can measure them? (you can do it at the radio harness rather than having to remove the wheel)

On newer Subarus (and other cars) the buttons are now where your thumbs can hit them, even when you're in a slight turn.

On the JDM SVX, do the Seek and AM/FM buttons do anything while you're listening to a tape or CD?

It just occurred to me — does that mean the JDM radio has up/down buttons for volume (instead of a rheostat knob like on the radios in SVXs without that steering wheel)?
no, the knob is still there on the radio. from the pics i've seen they are identical
aside from the useless JDM radio range
im stuck listening to some christian rock station because the only place they overlap is like 88-89 fm

and btw it was me who sent you that email. i'd be happy to help with this measuring, if you describe the necessary procedure in detail. im not all that electrically inclined (yet)

as for the extra wire that would be thrown into the harness (as per your description), it would have to be wired into the external 'addon' to the aftermarket headunit, correct? which would inturn be plugged back into the deck via its own proprietary connection or w/e
and then programmed from there
Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
no, the knob is still there on the radio. from the pics i've seen they are identical
aside from the useless JDM radio range
im stuck listening to some christian rock station because the only place they overlap is like 88-89 fm
If you want to continue to use the JDM radio you need to use a block downconverter to convert the aerial signal into a frequency that the radio band can work from.

It's a bit of a cheat, as the radio will still display the lower frequency numbers, but the channels it will play will be coming in on the higher US frequencies.

You can look up [and purchase] the device here:
http://www.edl.co.nz/shop.php?action=list&id=1

However, if you plan to get rid of the JDM radio it is certainly a better solution to get the proper new tuner that can receive all your standard Canadian frequencies.

The Band Expander works for sure, it's just not a great solution to the problem.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM

yeah im going aftermarket all the way. as well as the stock unit fits in that little cubby
i gotsta go touchscreen!
i hear the ladies love that.