Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Honest Opionions Requested

Okay... here's where I'm at. My car has always pulled right a little, so when I noticed a place that does alignment checks, I had 'em take a look. They got it up on the lift, and like all Californians () they were afraid of the rust. But they did let me look all over the car while it was up there, and I snapped some photos of the rear with my phone. They also showed me a little something up front which was distressing. So here it is, here's everything I know about my car. I want to know if it's worth saving, or even if it's possible to save it.

First, pics of the rear.

Rust, rust, everywhere...

Rust so bad that it ate holes into the brake rotor guide.

And then...

-Most any part under the car is rusted

-Brake rotors need replacing (my own fault for not doing them when I did the calipers and pads)

-Engine Mounts are shot (front-left is literally split on top, front-right is very loose)

-Engine leaks oil from somewhere inside timing covers (probably cam caps)

-Car pulls right (probably a combination of factors)

Aside from that, nothing else. The overheating doesn't happen anymore.

So...verdict? Should I bother to spend any more money on this thing, or should I just get rid of it?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Registered SVX
Some down time for disassembly, a sand blaster, and some good paint will go a long way to help preserve your svx
Old 04-19-2008, 04:02 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Honestly, the rust you have on the components looks to be just surface rust. The backing plates could use changed, just to keep water out of the e-brake. Rust usually isn't a problem, until it starts to rot the metal of the body itself. Even then, until it starts to eat the suspension mounts, it's repairable.

Here's an example of rust that's repairable:

Yes, it's structural, but with a proper repair, it's not terminal.

This is terminal cancer:

Note that it's completly rusted through where the suspension attaches.

While the rust you have looks bad, it's not unsafe.

As for the rest of your woes, they are cause for concern, but with a one problem at a time approach, they're all fairly simple fixes.
My 2bits on it pulling:
Have the control arm, and strut bushings inspected.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 04-19-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:12 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Pfft. That's nothing. I've seen far worse rust. What you've got is "age rust." Surface rust, nothing more.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Ditto them. My rust kicks your rusts' butt any day...

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Pfft. That's nothing. I've seen far worse rust. What you've got is "age rust." Surface rust, nothing more.
I agree, as I was trying to find something of any significance. Fix the car as you know where you will be starting and finishing. Much better than another dive into the wilderness.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Cars here in Iowa have FAR worse rust than anything like what you have on yours,and they run for years and years.

That's really just surface rust that really isn't bothering anything. Sure it looks tacky and you CAN clean it up, but the car is not going to fall apart anytime soon if you do nothing about it.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Here's another example of bad rust. This is the frame of a 1997 Geo Metro. You can't quite see it there, but that crack is all the way through the frame. That car went to the junkyard.

(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Figures. These guys had me thinking that the car was doomed or something. I should have paid more attention to the fact that they're Californian. Great. So it's fixable, that's good.

So now, where should I start? Motor mounts and engine overhaul go together, that's obvious. But about the suspension bits and rusted brake parts, how should I go with those things? I'd love to get a plan together.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:27 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Those suspension parts don't need replaced. A coat of POR-15 will help keep them from getting any worse. You can brush that on.

The brake backing plates look bad, but if they keep water out of the E-brake, they're good for the short haul. If not, or if you're seroiusly concerned, they shouldn't be too expensive, or hard to find, used or new.

As for the floorpan, does it have any signs of rust? If so, get the POR-15 after it immediately.

Oh yeah, POR-15 is Paint Over Rust, formula 15. No cleanup, no mess, just brush, or spray it on. And it WORKS!!
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 PM

I too can recommend POR-15. Works well, and goes on easy.

You just paint over the rust!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
. . . I want to know if it's worth saving, or even if it's possible to save it. . . .
Just like the master body man said, who resurrected my family-owned-since new 1965 Mustang (car I drove to HS, then went through five brothers and sisters) . . . "Phil, unless this car has some sentimental value, I don't think it is a proper candidate for restoration."

$35,000 later . . .

Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie View Post
Just like the master body man said, who resurrected my family-owned-since new 1965 Mustang (car I drove to HS, then went through five brothers and sisters) . . . "Phil, unless this car has some sentimental value, I don't think it is a proper candidate for restoration."

$35,000 later . . .

And worth every dollar.

Cool, man, that is absolutely cool. Those cars redefined the spirit of motoring for fun in their day. Of course it was worth restoring. Beautiful.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Figures. These guys had me thinking that the car was doomed or something. I should have paid more attention to the fact that they're Californian. Great. So it's fixable, that's good.

So now, where should I start? Motor mounts and engine overhaul go together, that's obvious. But about the suspension bits and rusted brake parts, how should I go with those things? I'd love to get a plan together.
Surface rust from driving on salt. It would not worry me, and Crazy is right, get your bushings checked out and your control arm for that pulling to the left first.

After that maybe your engine mounts. I would simply replace the rear dirt deflector for the rear brakes. Those things are paper thin anyway.

And that PQR 15 sounds a good solution.

While you are doing the PQR paint over, you should also check out the How To on buying an SVX. I seem to recall that serious rust can start in the rear arches around the upper strut mount, and you have to take off the plastic arch protector to see it.

Not trying to worry you or anything, but if you want to be thorough and not worried about it, it would be worth checking that area and addressing whatever you find there.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
I too can recommend POR-15. Works well, and goes on easy.

You just paint over the rust!
You need to seek out a 'back-yard' bodyshop that LIKES old cars. I'm sure that there are guys like my bro and me SOMEWHERE on the left coast!!

We had the 'pleasure' of going to a world class body shop. They spend countless dollars on cars and only deal with 'bolt on' parts. IF it has nasty RUST, they can't handle it! WE bought a Ford Phaeton that they had deemed "Too bad to restore", for $350.!! It was a LOT better than most of the stuff we start with!
P.S. Wear rubber gloves when you paint your rust w' the affore-mentioned product! (I had black hands for 2 weeks)

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry