Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 02-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
New Exhaust Question

I have a 94 LSi (79,000 mi.) that has developed a persistent buzzing that seems to vary with accelerator input. Heavy acceleration, big buzz. Was told by my dealer that it was the catalytic converter and I needed to replace everything aft of the Y connection to the tune of about $1600. Am thinking of putting in Dayle's Magnaflow system, but have a few questions. I wasn't clear whether the dealer was telling me I had to replace the Y connection or not. I have seen some posts here that refer to the pre-cat. Does the Y connection have anything to do with the pre-cat? Does it make any sense that I might need to replace the Y connection? If not, I suppose I can just buy Dayles kit and have the local specialty exhaust shop install it with the required additional tubing. Asssitance greatly appreciated.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Exhaust rattles are usually caused by one of 2 things:

- loose heat shields
- the exhaust resonator
Old 02-23-2005, 03:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Exhaust rattles are usually caused by one of 2 things:

- loose heat shields
- the exhaust resonator
What David said. Don't let the dealer take advantage of you. Take it to your local muffler shop that is trust worthy and see what they think. Easier yet, have someone rev the engine (in park of course) while you get down and look underneath from outside the car to see if you can pinpoint the source of the rattle. 7 out of 10 times it will be a loose heat shield and the rest of the time it would be the resonator.

$1600 for an exaust system??? Tell them to get bent.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I took my car to the dealer with a stebro cat back on it that was only about 6 months old and they told me it needed to be replace because it was banging to the tune of over $1000.