Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Ciscokid

Exhaust question, 1 of 500 on the boards

OK, before anyone reads below and says "Use search" I already did. I used the words best exhaust and found 1959 posts with those same words.

What my question is is this: What is the best exhaust system you can buy that bolts right on to the SVX.

Systems that need pipe work, like Motorsport's 395.00 system, are acceptable, I have a good friend who owns his own shop and I can have pipes made for dirt cheap.

So....price is an issue (well, just keep it under 1,000), I saw the 1550.00 system on Dayle's site and I am not really into spending that much money...not yet anyway.

I appreciate the help.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
What about the stebro system? Its about $850 with shipping and it bolts right up in about an hour.

I got one and I love it.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:10 PM

I don't have an upgraded exhaust system...yet

but the best sounding system I've heard for under a $1000 is either stebro or the dual Magnaflows that SVX Obsessed has.

The single Magnaflow is ok, a few locals have it, but for me, its not the sound I want.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The only bolt-on system cat-back system is the Stebro which costs about $800. If you don't mind bending up some tubing, here are the pieces that will easily work:

muffler:
item #14266 from
<http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/mag5x8camste.html>

resonator:
item #14416
<http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/mag4rounstai.html>

Put it all together with heavy gauge 2.5" tubing, either stainless or mild steel.

I guess you'll need some tips too.

Total cost for parts should be less than $300 if you buy reasonably priced tips. This cat-back system will give you as good of performance as any other cat-back design you can find.

If you want to have dual mufflers, have a look in my locker for the design.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Ciscokid

I appreciate the help guys.

I heard about the Stebro before from reading past posts and I just looked it up and it is 815.00 but that is probably without shipping.

My next question would be: How good is the Stebro compared to a dual Magnaflow set-up. Would I gain more power from one or the other or is it just a sound preference?? I do not mind spending the 800ish down the line if it is better.

Dayle....if you read this post...what type of equipment is on your exhaust package?? Do you use Magnaflow also??

Thanks again to everyone who replies!!

I have to add: Would 2" piping be any advantage or is 2.5" the ideal size?? Thanks

Last edited by Ciscokid; 02-21-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:41 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid

I have to add: Would 2" piping be any advantage or is 2.5" the ideal size?? Thanks
The OEM size of the tubing aft of the cats is almost exactly equal to 2.5" OD. You wouldn't want to run any smaller than that. You could run 3" if you wanted. Don't think it would improve performance though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Another thing to note is that if you order the Stebro you must be patient. Some people have had to wait several months for their exhaust to show up.

If you're polite and patient the Stebro is a great system.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Ciscokid

Thanks for the info....I am definitely leaning toward the Stebro if I do not end up holding out for the Flatt Racing setup. I noticed the 395.00 setup on Dayle's site is only a single muffler and I definitely want 2 mufflers for the sound.

**Has anyone ever done anything to the headers to improve performance?? Like.....sending them off to Jet Hot for a coating and cleaning by chance? I was thinking about trying this.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You are aware that the Stebro is only one muffler as well right?

The center pipe has a resonator in it.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
(hijack) Your selling an AWD SVX and then buying a FWD SVX?(/hijack)

I just had to ask.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Ciscokid

Quote:
Originally posted by odepaj
(hijack) Your selling an AWD SVX and then buying a FWD SVX?(/hijack)
I just had to ask.
dustin

lol...I am sure you are not the only one wondering that.

I realized I am not going to be using the SVX in the winter so I decided that I did not need the AWD. I know all about the balance and traction issues but I will never Auto-X or race the car in any way, and as far as traction and all, I am sure after I slap on the Flatt Racing coilovers and Mych's sway bars that handling won't be an issue at all.

I just found an opportunity I do not want to pass up so I am going for it...if it gets to be that bad I can always slap the AWD system on the car with a 6 speed down the line

Earthworm.....thanks for the info...I was not aware of it, I thought it looked like a dual set-up in the rear, although I guess it is one big @$$ muffler then.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Meow!

Stebro:
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid

I can always slap the AWD system on the car with a 6 speed down the line

ahhhh. if you have any thought of doing that you might want to keep the awd. thats like an entire drivetrain swap not to mention you would have to buy the svx rear dif to swap the limited slip carrier.

but about the muffler. i would go with the stebro if only because its a direct bolt on. that and its profesionaly tuned for the car so performance gains are constant unlike having the dude up the street randomly bend up some pipes to make the mags fit.

Last edited by Matthewmongan; 02-24-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
no limitation as limitation

but then again you are probably accustom to fwd as you have a honda so maybe you'll like the fwd more. in my opinion fwd subarus are mutants, an abomination to an other wise perfect genome.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Ciscokid

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
but then again you are probably accustom to fwd as you have a honda

My Honda is a rear wheel drive motorcycle

I love AWD cars too, but I am getting into my mid-30s and I am beyond my go fast years. After owning a 550 HP Mustang Cobra which would snap your neck when downshifting, and owning a Ducati 916 while being stationed in Italy, driving 130 MPH on my commute to work, I think I can enjoy my FWD SVX just fine. I am working with Mych on a suspension to take care of the handling and I just appreciate the fact that my new SVX will have a 70k mile engine, which will be totally resealed, it will get a new oil pump, new water pump, phonelic spacers and a lightened pulley, along with a new inlet pipe.

Add to that the fact that the rear bearings are new, the tranny is 5k old and the brakes are upgraded, I will not have to worry about maintenance for a while. I can spend my money on rims, an dexhaust and a suspension.

Next year at Reading, when my car will be totally done, you guys will want my FWD

*I do appreciate the constructive criticism and that is what I love about this site...keep up the suggestions, I do take a lot of it into account.