How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2001, 09:16 PM
wrxsubaru

Does the svx engine need premium gas, or can it use lower grade of gas.

Can the Subaru SVX 3.3 engine use a lower grade of gas beside premium gas, does lower grade gas make it knock, not have as much power, any thing.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:32 PM
Headed to Texas...

Use premium unleaded. It says that in the owner's manual, the dashboard and the fuel filler door.

It's there for a reason! You COULD use regular...but performance would suffer, as well as longevity.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-19-2001, 08:24 AM

Use nothing less!

Don't use anything less than what SVX requires. By keeping higher octane fuel in your car, you lower your chances of major engine/sensor problems in the future. The engine was designed to use high octane fuels. As far as choices, I find Sunoco Ultra 94 to be the best for me. Once in a while I'll go to Shell's 93 Octane. The lowest I ever put in my car was 92 octane... Anyone else with a favorite brand or grade gas they like to use?

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 11-19-2001, 08:35 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
For my nickel's worth I'd use any brand name fuel that doesn't cause the engine to knock. The SVX has two knock sensors so that really shouldn't be an issue. What would be an issue would be a possible reduction in mpg as the computer combats knocking/pinging by retarding ignition timing. That in itself isn't dangerous, just slightly affects economy and performance. Over a long period of time it may cause an amount of carbon build-up in the cylinders. Your decision - for me I kind of have an idea of how much I'm willing to spend on fuel. If the prices skyrocket for no apparent reason I figure I can run the cheap stuff for a while then go back when prices decline. But that's me....

Beav
Old 11-19-2001, 09:50 AM
Lowered SVX

i just by the highest grade premium...

available at my local Costco. never had any problems....car is as clean as a whistle.

what is the big deal about paying for premium anyway, it really isnt that much more expensive.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-19-2001, 09:55 AM
Not as old as Randy

I've seen, at times, around different parts of the country where the price difference is 30-50 cents/gal. Plus when the price jumps 25-30 in one day I'll do a partial with regular and wait it out. Not that it would break me, I'm just tired of them using my fanny for a bike rack...
Old 11-19-2001, 10:01 AM
Lowered SVX

i guess i dont care....

just part of owning the svx as far as i am concerned. it is a high performance car that has high cost needs, whether it is gas or parts again just comes with the territory.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-19-2001, 01:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: i guess i dont care....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
just part of owning the svx as far as i am concerned. it is a high performance car that has high cost needs, whether it is gas or parts again just comes with the territory.
I agree. Premium gas is typically 2-35cents a gallon more here, but I feel it is part of owning the car.

On my wall here at the office is a receipt from the high gas prices of the summer. I paid more than $34 to fill my car, at $2.10/gal, on that day.

Ouch. It costs me less than $20 now...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-19-2001, 01:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I gassed-up this morning at the local EXXON station (nothern DE).
The price was $1.319 ($1.32) per gallon for premium. The car took 15.54 gallons ($20.51 total). I finally got to see the little orange light of the gas pump symbol on the dash come on.

I was very foggy this morn. I think I ran over someone.
I found a cardboard box-o-zinfendal, with a MD tax stamp, wedged in the bottom grill of the front bumper.
It couldn't be anybody real important. After all, who drinks wine from a box?

Larry III
Old 11-19-2001, 01:54 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I gassed-up this morning at the local EXXON station (nothern DE).
The price was $1.319 ($1.32) per gallon for premium. The car took 15.54 gallons ($20.51 total). I finally got to see the little orange light of the gas pump symbol on the dash come on.

I was very foggy this morn. I think I ran over someone.
I found a cardboard box-o-zinfendal, with a MD tax stamp, wedged in the bottom grill of the front bumper.
It couldn't be anybody real important. After all, who drinks wine from a box?

Larry III
I got Exxon premium today for $1.23.9 in MD, the land of unpleasant taxation. WAWA had it for $1.19.9.
The box is a step up from the bag that I usually hide my daily brew in. I said that so I could end the sentence in a preposition.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:54 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Car&Driver magazine had an interesting article on regular vs premium gas. It discusses the issue from a performance perspective but does not go into how it affects the longevity of the engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...e_gasoline.xml

Cheers,
Matt
Old 11-19-2001, 04:06 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
PREMIUM

Definately go with the premium. I used to buy mid grade all the time cuz it was cheaper and I never heard any pinging. But, as the C&D article mentioned, the engine will change timing to avoid the ping. I ended up with a bad knock sensor, and I have a feeling I know why. Also, as many people heard me complaining about a while back, I was losing street races (dumb, I know, I don't do it anymore) to Chevy Cavaliers and such. I do think it affects performance. I was also told by Eddycat that it could cause carbon buildup in the engine affecting performance and longevity. Even here at 6000 ft, I still use premium (although the highest octane I can find here is 90.5).
Mat-1
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-19-2001, 09:24 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
More Gas...

Never trust that beautiful engine to anything marginal. Only the best for my Super-Ru!

Ron: < I said that so I could end the sentence in a preposition>

Reminds me of the female inmate who tried to get the judge to end her sentence with a proposition.... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 11-19-2001, 09:30 PM
Hitchhikin'

Re: Use nothing less!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Pwrlite
Don't use anything less than what SVX requires. By keeping higher octane fuel in your car, you lower your chances of major engine/sensor problems in the future. The engine was designed to use high octane fuels. As far as choices, I find Sunoco Ultra 94 to be the best for me. Once in a while I'll go to Shell's 93 Octane. The lowest I ever put in my car was 92 octane... Anyone else with a favorite brand or grade gas they like to use?
I'm very bitter at the fact that the highest octance rating around here is 91 right now, unless you count race gas. We don't have Sunoco here, at least I haven't seen it... I really want some of their higher octane gas, dammit.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:35 PM
Not as old as Randy

Why? Just to spend money on something? You can deposit all of your excess cash into my checking account to take care of that problem.

You won't get any more power from it, that's a known fact. There are no more BTUs in premium vs. regular, so where would the extra power come from? Higher octane allows you to run higher compression without knocking. Unless you've done something to increase your compression ratio you're just blowing your money.

Look at this way, higher octane fuels slow down flame propagation, that's how they allow higher compression without knocking. So if you use high octane without higher compression aren't you just making the fuel less efficient in your particular application? Hmmm....I never thought of it that way before...
Either way probably wouldn't result in any noticeable gains or losses anyway.

Beav