SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-07-2004, 01:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
If Subaru lovers can claim that the XT is anything but hideous, then why can't Pontiac lovers do the same for the Aztec? Besides it's more useful to begin with.
I didn't see anybody say anything like that. We just said we didn't like it.

I'm sorry there are opinions out there in contrast to your own.

As for the car's usefulness, I suppose you're right - a minivan is more versatile than a coupe. But that doesn't make me want to drive the thing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-07-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Unstoppable

I hate to break it to you, but thats not a real Aztec. It's actually a Vibe thats been very thouroughly massaged to look like an Aztek. It also has over 500HP and is RWD if I recall correctly.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 07-07-2004, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
That seems unlikely, but if you say so. Whatever it was originally, it's not any more.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I didn't see anybody say anything like that. We just said we didn't like it.
I could probably pull up over 50 threads where people talk about the XT being a good looking car. Just remember that i'm here to remind you ("you" in this case being the population of this site) that things work both ways. You can certainly call the Aztec ugly, cause it is. However just as Subaru lovers can excuse the XT's ugliness and remember it for it's more versatile traits, Pontiac lovers can do the same for the Aztec, even more easily in fact because it is quite possibly one of the best buys there is at present time. No other vehicle can do everything the Aztec does and still deliver it's price, reliability and economy. But enough about that, you don't really care about that anyway. The fact remains it is an ugly vehicle. Fortunately looks aren't everything and us guys should be thankful for that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'm sorry there are opinions out there in contrast to your own.
And i'm sorry that after all we've talked about you still get all up in arms whenever anyone makes a comment about a Subaru that is less than worship-like. Looks like you need to take your own advice this time. All I did was make a comment in the Aztec's defense and remind those slandering it that their prized brand is not without it's styling mistakes, and again I become the enemy. Once again it's a case of "you can say what you want as long as it's mature and you don't question the mighty Subaru".

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
I hate to break it to you, but thats not a real Aztec. It's actually a Vibe thats been very thouroughly massaged to look like an Aztek. It also has over 500HP and is RWD if I recall correctly.
It's an Aztec body with a Corvette C5R subframe, it's also AWD. A Vibe? No way. Why use a FWD-based unibody design that would have to be completely redesigned for a project which is really just a "look what we can do!" effort?

This reminds me of what I recently found on John Ligenfelter's website. For those who don't know, Lingenfelter engineering is one of the premier GM licensed tuners, and the creator of some of the fastest and best handling vehicles in the world. Anyway, they have a package available for the new CTS-V. Again for those who don't know, the CTS-V is a four door Cadillac with 400hp, and can run 0-60 in about 4.6 seconds. Nice. Some may ask why? I can't answer that - a family car that outruns a good chunk of the sports cars available today. Doesn't really make sense to me either. Back to my story once again, the LPE package for the CTS-V is a 427ci LS6 motor that produces 510hp. The cost is $25,000 complete. So for $100,000 you can have a four-door Cadillac that can outrun and outhandle most of the sports cars available today. Yeah I can see the need, or even desire for that. No wonder these tuners have no money. Meanwhile the GTO has 350hp and can barely catch the 2002 Trans Am WS6. They may just be a little off focus here.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 PM

I've honestly got to say that is the best looking Aztec I've ever seen! Of course, that's not really saying a lot

It is cool looking in an over-done show car kind of way, but it still isn't what I'd call good looking.

There's no denying that they're very versitile, as well as being an incredible value. One of my neighbors bought one because of that value (I think he paid less for it than it would cost to buy something like a Civic), and also because his wife thought it was cute. I've heard that from several women... they don't know why, but they think it's cute. Maybe it's something to do with maternal instinct and "a face only a mother good love"

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
It's an Aztec body with a Corvette C5R subframe, it's also AWD. A Vibe? No way. Why use a FWD-based unibody design that would have to be completely redesigned for a project which is really just a "look what we can do!" effort?
2003 Pontiac Ultimate Aztek
No Laughing Matter: GM silences critics with 665-horsepower monster Aztek

By JOHN D. STOLL

BY THE TIME MARK REUSS reached the age of 36, people were criticizing his work with gusto. Why not? He, a GM vehicle line executive, was given the task of shepherding into production one of the ugliest, most misconceived vehicles to ever see an assembly line: the Pontiac Aztek.

The rest is history. Literally. Expect to see Aztek buried next fall or soon after.

First, though, Reuss—now holding the enviable reigns of GM’s Performance Division—gets a Bob Lutz-mandated shot at redemption using the ill-fated SUV as inspiration. We can think of plenty of better ways for the General to spend dollars, but none more ironic.

A spec sheet sent to us lists Reuss and Co.’s project as the “Ultimate Aztek,” so that’s what we’ll call it. Essentially, it’s a race car-cum-Pontiac-Vibe on steroids.

Above the beltline, the truck is true to Aztek heritage, although the origami rear end has been angled downward, rounded out a bit and fitted with a new spoiler. Door handles, mirrors and front fascia also get fittingly refashioned.

Flared fenders swoop over the wheel wells —complete with gill-slit vents—and positively dominate the design. Twenty-two-inch rims and 295/25 Z-rated treads fill the wells and two pairs of four-inch exhaust tips emerge ahead of the rear wells. Below the grille, a pair of fog lights bookend a lemon-wedge screen behind which sits a C5 racing radiator and other modifications.

All this bodywork does a lot to address the tippy-tall disproportion of the original design, but it is those other modifications that are really what’s worth getting giddy over.

The Ultimate’s firewall has been moved and Reuss ripped out all underhood nonessentials in order to fit the same 7.0-liter aluminum pushrod V8 that powers the C5-R in the cradle. In this case, output was wrenched up to 665 hp with torque at 625 lb-ft. Torque pushes at or near its peak through an intoxicating if straight curve starting at about 4000 rpm through 6800. Air is funneled to the engine through dual tapered conical filters lending the engine bay the same comic, come-get-me invitation as those Dolce & Gabbana bras gave Madonna during her infamous Girlie Show Tour.

Acceleration inspires an eruption of sound and plenty of cabin vibration, as well it should. A modified instrument cluster includes “pro series” gauges for oil pressure, water temperature, volts, speed and engine rpm. Virtually everything else inside you would operate or touch is custom, including front racing seats, abbreviated rear bench, carpet, racing-grade shifter and wheel, and the necessary plethora of “don’t touch without asking” switches. Sorry, no radio, a/c or cupholders. If a six-point roll cage and racing belts don’t convince occupants that this Aztek is for real, nothing will.

A modified six-speed manual with a heavy-duty clutch is mated to the engine, sending power solely to the rear wheels. You really have to thread your way through clutch engagement and be attentive or stalling is inevitable. A bit of jerking is to be expected; we didn’t stall, but we stunk up the cabin once with burning clutch odors. Once was enough. Another smell you’ll encounter is that of 100 octane fuel, required and distributed via a high-pressure fuel pump and racing-type fuel cell.

To further the Le Mans-wolf-in-Aztek-clothing argument, consider the remaining spec sheet. The 36-inch power rack-and-pinion, again heavy-duty, is fitted with steering arm adapters to allow the use of spherical rod ends in place of standard tie rods. Front suspension is a C5 double-wishbone setup with polyurethane bushings, while rear is five-link with adjustable coil-over triple adjustable shocks. Modular antiroll bar assemblies dress the front and rear, as do a pair of 2.5-inch diameter coil springs. There is no official word on how much this thing is lowered, but even the gravel road to your summer cabin is out of the question.

Of course we asked about the potential of ever seeing anything remotely close to this put in production, and Reuss calmed our fears by saying, “None.” Still, we wouldn’t mind seeing this little model pace a lap or two, just for the giggle factor. After that, we’d be content to see the word “ultimate” applied in its other sense: last of a series.

2003 PONTIAC ULTIMATE AZTEK
ON SALE: Never
BASE PRICE: Enormous
POWERTRAIN: 7.0-liter, 665-hp, 625-lb-ft V8;rwd, six-speed manual
0-60 MPH: Omygawd, it's real, real fast

Just look at it, its way too small to be an Aztek.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 07-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Essentially, it’s a race car-cum-Pontiac-Vibe on steroids.

By saying that, he's not saying it's based on a Vibe...he is making the same observation that I did, that by doing what they did, they made another Vibe. Meaning that a lowered, sporty Aztec is no different than a Vibe. He's not saying it has anything mechanical in common with the Vibe. Like I said, that really really wouldn't make sense. Why completely redesign a body that is completely different when you can just modify the existing one?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Vibeatek

Well WHATEVER it is, it certainly looks better than the Aztec.
If they had come out with that look in the first place, they might
have sold more of them, and avoided the biggest black eye since the Edsel.

It reminds me of some Euro-van concepts......on steroids.

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-12-2004, 02:01 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

yeah

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
but its still but ugly and looks like horrible
if you ask me...omg.
Wasnt it a concept car. This article was from last yr

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=01386060

Whats next ? modded out KiA ?????
(dont anyone post any pics )

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
How many times do I have to tell you people this, I'm not crazy!!! That nice lady that made me look at all the pictures of smiley faces said so!!!

Quote:
Orginally posted by Aredubjay
Sounds like my kinda place. Besides, the road kill would feed more people (Moose, as opposed to Possum ).
Trust me, you don't want to do that. Up here, when you hit a moose, your the roadkill.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Well WHATEVER it is, it certainly looks better than the Aztec.
If they had come out with that look in the first place, they might
have sold more of them, and avoided the biggest black eye since the Edsel.
Thanks, Don! This was kinda my point to begin with. Don't get me wrong here, I'm certainly not saying I'd rush out and trade the SVX in on one (hell, or even the XT6). But compared to what Pontiac is selling right now, this is a vast improvment, mainly because it more resembles a sporty Vibe (as has been noted) than a high-performance/off-road SUV wannabe minivan thingie.

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
Whats next ? modded out KiA ?????
(dont anyone post any pics )
Your gonna wish you hadn't said that Dayle, because that's not a pretty picture, either.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21825,00.html

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 07-12-2004, 06:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blueath2.jpg (146.7 KB, 139 views)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

omg

my eyes are burning !!
reminds me of the Yugo GT Y !~~

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Sorry
Dunno about that one...many are swapping out the old 1.3 engines for turbocharged Mazda 1.6ltr engines. With the suspension upgrades they are doing as well they are turning those extremely affordable little Festivas (aka Mazda 121) into quite the little performers, often giving Mini-Coopers and other better known sportscars a run for their money, if not a sound ass whoopin'.

Johnny (a former owner of a stock, yet surprisingly fun to drive, Festiva)

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Question

I can't make it out....is that some kind of transparent hood...
I mean bonnet....on the Fiesta?

In 1977, while in jolly old England, I couldn't decide between
a new Fiesta and a Triumph Spitfire.

I went with the Spit.

Tally ho!

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
I see it like this...

That Vibe/Aztec car thing is like a ugly girl, who has had major- major plastic surgery to look the way she does now....

So in the end she'll still have ugly kids!

(....Wait that didn't make a whole lot of sense?)

"One day, when I'm all grown up..."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: