SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-29-2001, 03:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Windshield?

No, not for the SVX.

My wife's 1990 Legacy wagon was struck by a piece of debris on Friday. It was metal and, judging by the skid mark on the hood, painted white. The car is drivable, but the glass is going to have to be replaced this week.

The most expensive quote I've gotten was $270 installed. Not bad. I doubt very much my deductible is low enough to bother the insurance company, but I'm working on it.

I also found a used windshield for $125 plus tax, but then I need to have it installed, and where the hell am I gonna do that? I got a price of $245 installed from one place that will show up at her school and do it there. Sounds worth it to me. Even if my deductible was $250 it wouldn't be worth calling the insurance company.

Of course then there's the matter of the hood, which has the aforementioned skid mark. Is there something I can use to remove that white mark from the paint? I suppose I could call the insurance company and have the windshield and hood repaired under the same comp. claim, but one look at the hood and they're gonna say 'this thing is not worth repainting.' There are literally more stone chips than there is paint left on the leading edge of the hood.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-29-2001, 04:15 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Windshield?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
No, not for the SVX.

My wife's 1990 Legacy wagon was struck by a piece of debris on Friday. It was metal and, judging by the skid mark on the hood, painted white. The car is drivable, but the glass is going to have to be replaced this week.

The most expensive quote I've gotten was $270 installed. Not bad. I doubt very much my deductible is low enough to bother the insurance company, but I'm working on it.

I also found a used windshield for $125 plus tax, but then I need to have it installed, and where the hell am I gonna do that? I got a price of $245 installed from one place that will show up at her school and do it there. Sounds worth it to me. Even if my deductible was $250 it wouldn't be worth calling the insurance company.

Of course then there's the matter of the hood, which has the aforementioned skid mark. Is there something I can use to remove that white mark from the paint? I suppose I could call the insurance company and have the windshield and hood repaired under the same comp. claim, but one look at the hood and they're gonna say 'this thing is not worth repainting.' There are literally more stone chips than there is paint left on the leading edge of the hood.
Nick,
The "skid mark" will probably buff out with some rubbing compound and some elbow grease -- or, better yet, borrow someone's electric buffer if you don't already have one.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-29-2001, 04:43 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Windshield?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Mr. Pockets, It may be different in MI but in Kentucky Glass doesn't have a deductible, if you have Comprehensive<sp?> it should be paid 100%, worth checking up on.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-29-2001, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

MI windshield

Nick,
That SUX! I have already replaced the windshield in my 4 month old VW and last year replaced two in my Chrysler in 3 weeks . The roads seem to disintegrate and the remnants hang around long enought to destroy things on their way out.
MI insurance allows you to select a comprehensive deductible amount.
I would avoid rubbing compound on Amber's hood. The typical abrasives used in rubbing compound are very harsh and would leave a haze. Go to your local Murray's or AutoZone and get some polishing compound which is labeled as "Clear Coat Safe". This should remove the scuff and not further damage the paint.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:03 PM
Zombie

was this peice of debris being driven by a peice of debris at the time it struck your wifes car?
Old 10-30-2001, 08:40 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
was this peice of debris being driven by a peice of debris at the time it struck your wifes car?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-30-2001, 10:56 AM
Zombie

[My wife's 1990 Legacy wagon was struck by a piece of debris on Friday. It was metal and, judging by the skid mark on the hood, painted white.]

I was just wondering if it was like a hit and run accident as in a "peice of debris[as in trash]" getting drunk and driving his "peice of debris[as in POS car]" into you wifes car, and the taking off like the "peice of debris" that he is. You kind of made it sound that way, but mabey my checmical experimentation in high school is starting to come back and haunt me.....
Old 10-30-2001, 11:05 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
[My wife's 1990 Legacy wagon was struck by a piece of debris on Friday. It was metal and, judging by the skid mark on the hood, painted white.]

I was just wondering if it was like a hit and run accident as in a "peice of debris[as in trash]" getting drunk and driving his "peice of debris[as in POS car]" into you wifes car, and the taking off like the "peice of debris" that he is. You kind of made it sound that way, but mabey my checmical experimentation in high school is starting to come back and haunt me.....
You're reading a little too much into it. My wife was driving on the freeway when a piece of debris flew up off the road and struck her car. The debris was white or grey and the car in front of her was maroon in color, so it is doubtful the debris came from that car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-30-2001, 11:16 AM
Zombie

cool... just curious. My thereapist tells me I need to stop being so over-analitical.but I think shes just trying to brainwash me.