Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 AM

trans question

Just bought a 92 one owner with 92K on it, in great shape. I understand that there are some trans issue's. Anything I can go to help the issue's? it is a early 92 model and I assume that there hasn't been anything done to it. I was thinking of a tran's cooler. Anything else to watch out for? This is a great car and want to keep it going strong.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Registered SVX
Re: trans question

Cooler is a good start, change the gearbox oil,change the internal gearbox filter in the sump, fit an external oil filter,gearbox oil temperature gauge.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Congratulations!
If it has a campaign filter on the drivers side frame rail, remove it.
It is after a time, a restriction to flow.
Blow through the factory transmission cooler/warmer inside the radiator with a hose and your own lungs and you will see how restrictive it is.
I usually replace it with an aftermarket cooler.
Replace the ATF with new using a drain and fill method.
I highly prefer BG Products ATF.

This is all relatively cheap, compared with the cost of a replacement transmission.
There other things that you can do depending on your budget.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 AM

thanks, It seems to have a little lag between shifts, is that normal? worse when it is cold. I have had a lot of sports cars just not sure if that is normal for the svx. looking for any other input on needed upgrades. Love the car, should have bought on long ago!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Congratulations!
If it has a campaign filter on the drivers side frame rail, remove it.
It is after a time, a restriction to flow.
Blow through the factory transmission cooler/warmer inside the radiator with a hose and your own lungs and you will see how restrictive it is.
I usually replace it with an aftermarket cooler.
Replace the ATF with new using a drain and fill method.
I highly prefer BG Products ATF.

This is all relatively cheap, compared with the cost of a replacement transmission.
There other things that you can do depending on your budget.
Listen to this guy. Once you bypass the radiator cooler with an external cooler, you no longer need the campaign filter, if it has one. You live in Montana where it gets cold so you don't want a very high capacity cooler or your may may never see the torque converter lock up. Even in moderate climates, the tranny doesn't need a ton of extra cooling. What you want is the best possible flow of ATF or the least restriction from the cooler. Low cooling capacity plus low flow resistance means a tube and fin cooler. I got a 10,000 GVW cooler from summitracing.com and I even doubt if I should have gone that high. Sandwich the cooler between the A/C condenser and the radiator. I personally think centered at the bottom is the best location for cooling reasons.

On the ATF, the BG product that svxfiles mentions is a synthetic fluid. That is also a big help. It doesn't break down as easily as dino fluids and the ones with ester oil bases actually aid in cooling. An alternative to synthetics is standard Subaru ATF with a bottle of Lubegard ATF protectant added in. The Lubegard product contains those heat transferring esters. Redline is possibly the best synthetic oil out there and is primarily based on esters. I have it in the tranny and the differentials.

Probably your next best modification is the upgraded valve body from "Longassname" who runs ecutune. He also sells an upgraded TCU which should help extend the life of the tranny and especially if it is already starting to die. I don't trust any other modifications for the purpose of extending tranny life. Some may get you a better "feel" to your shifts or even improve your quarter mile time but I have serious reservations about their impact on tranny lifetime.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post

Probably your next best modification is the upgraded valve body from "Longassname" who runs ecutune. He also sells an upgraded TCU which should help extend the life of the tranny and especially if it is already starting to die. I don't trust any other modifications for the purpose of extending tranny life. Some may get you a better "feel" to your shifts or even improve your quarter mile time but I have serious reservations about their impact on tranny lifetime.
I heartily agree with Tony on the ECUTune TCUs and valve bodies.
I have three of LAN's TCUs and one valve body so far.
Asd I can afford them I will buy two more valve bodies.
There is a much higher flow of ATF, and firmer shifts.
The valve bodies are $350.00, and it takes a Subaru trans guy about three hours to install one.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link