Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Steering Rack is shot

I'm hoping somebody could suggest something for my situation. I have had a 1992 Pearl white svx for 12 years. It's a great car and I have taken great care of it. The steering rack has finally gone on it but the shop where I took it is not having any luck finding a rebuilt rack. I don't want to sell the car for parts. It really is too nice. It might also be hard to sell as is because you can't really drive it that far. Everything works on the car. Tranny was rebuilt and has about 50,000 miles on it. Many other things replaced. Any suggestions or offers would be appreciated. I'm in the Boston Mass area. My email is: kjcervenka@gmail.com Thanks so much.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Steering Rack is shot

Do a web search for rack rebuilders. There are plenty out there who will rebuild yours, however, it isn't always cheap. I bought a NOS rack for my TVR and had it shipped over rather than pay the price for a rebuilt manual rack. I don't think anyone makes a rebuilt one as the numbers aren't there but you could always buy a used one from someone here or a wrecker (www.car-part.com is a good site to find one).
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJC Pearlie View Post
I'm hoping somebody could suggest something for my situation. I have had a 1992 Pearl white svx for 12 years. It's a great car and I have taken great care of it. The steering rack has finally gone on it but the shop where I took it is not having any luck finding a rebuilt rack. I don't want to sell the car for parts. It really is too nice. It might also be hard to sell as is because you can't really drive it that far. Everything works on the car. Tranny was rebuilt and has about 50,000 miles on it. Many other things replaced. Any suggestions or offers would be appreciated. I'm in the Boston Mass area. My email is: kjcervenka@gmail.com Thanks so much.
Just curious but what were and are the symptoms? Also, did you ever get the tranny binding issues resolved?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I just bought a rebuilt one on eBay. It's arriving today so I can report back on it's initial quality.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-19-2011, 02:50 PM

I got one from these guys. Been a few years; I've forgotten the price.

http://www.meridianautoparts.com/
Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Try
sales@carsteering.com

They have the LS-L rack in stock
Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Just curious but what were and are the symptoms? Also, did you ever get the tranny binding issues resolved?
Hi, the power steering fluid is pouring out from the left boot of the rack. It had started to drip, just a bit, a few months ago. I put in the Lucas stop leak and that worked up until last week. I did get the binding resolved. I took to a tranny shop in my area. He first replaced the duty solenoid (C?) that came up in the code. When I got it back it started to bind again. I took it back and he relaced the TCU unit and that took care of it. Tranny has been great since.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I just bought a rebuilt one on eBay. It's arriving today so I can report back on it's initial quality.
Hey that would be great. I checked at Motorsport and they have them for $370. Are you familiar with that company?