How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
What race(s) did the SVX Pace Car perform in?

This came up between me and a buddy from work this weekend in a heated drunken debate. It seems I have lost. I called a few people, OT and YT, to search for answers. OT came up with the Daytona 500, YT and Mike came up with the Indy 500. Sadly, it's neither.

Here's a list of the Daytona 500 pace cars:
http://www.daytonapacecars.com/id25.html

Here's a list of the Indy 500 pace cars:
http://www.indypacecars.com/faq.html#q3

The SVX is not on either list. When I searched for SVX pace car, it came up with nothing more than vague references. If someone could come up with the races that the SVX pace car performed in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: What race(s) did the SVX Pace Car perform in?

It was a PPG Indy Car World Series...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
f'n a cotton, f'n a...

It was colorful too...

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsvx View Post
The interior hurts my soul.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
The interior hurts my soul.
So this is what "Barney" skined seats would look like... hmm.... might be worth it to kill that stupid dinosaur.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

it would have been nice to see it at our auto show this weekend, but that didn't happen.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Thanks Huck, i d the crap out of it but somehow came back with nothing but Indy races, nothing more specific than that.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

I can't be specific, but I do know that the pics of the pace car in the R&T guide are at Phoenix Int'l Raceway. I remember reading somewhere that the SVX pace car was used almost exlusively by women pace drivers. I Know Lynn St.James piloted it as well as Janet Guthrie.

It wouldn't have paced "The 500" itself, as those pace cars have exclusive rights. It would have been at any other PPG sponsored race though.

Wether it actually paced the field is debatable. They kept a pretty good fleet of pace cars. Google PPG pace car under images and you'll see what I mean.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Cool Re: What race(s) did the SVX Pace Car perform in?

what's with all those switches above the radio bit (and where is the audio door) - there may be other differences between this and the production car - did it have a roll cage?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
what's with all those switches above the radio bit (and where is the audio door) - there may be other differences between this and the production car - did it have a roll cage?
From DrivePerformance Magazine Vol 4.2

Preparation for racetrack duties came at the hands of Roush Industries in Michigan. “The car remained amazingly stock,” explained Roger Banowetz. “FHI provided struts and springs for a tighter and lower handling package.

The brakes, wheels, engine, and transmission received no modifications. The muffler was changed to add to the excitement factor. Other changes were for safety and the attention-getting appearance.”

Safety is always a concern in racing, and pace cars receive comprehensive modifications to that end. Banowetz listed the work done for the SVX:

“Safety enhancements included an unobtrusive, tightly integrated roll cage. A lot of work was devoted to the cage construction. In addition to providing accident protection, the cage was to be as transparent as possible to the PPG guests. The idea was not to look like a racecar. Also, the cage needed to be out of the way for entry and exit. The time allotted for on-track pace car activities was limited, and PPG wanted to have as many guests experience the ride of a lifetime as possible. Climbing through a myriad of roll-cage tubes was not an option. The cage was hardly noticeable in the headliner.

“Other safety equipment included a means to shut off the electrical system in the event of a rollover, replacement stainless braided fuel lines, racing-style seatbelts, and a fuel cell. PPG added the roof-mounted strobe, replaced the tail and headlights with strobes, and added a crowd-warning beeper for transits through the paddock.”

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM

Does anyone here have a copy of that "Road & Track" mentioned in the bottom of that link??

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Does anyone here have a copy of that "Road & Track" mentioned in the bottom of that link??
You can find the complete 100 page version at the SVX Information Warehouse HERE

Copies show up on ebay from time to time as well.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM

<<“Safety enhancements included an unobtrusive, tightly integrated roll cage. A lot of work was devoted to the cage construction. In addition to providing accident protection, the cage was to be as transparent as possible to the PPG guests. The idea was not to look like a racecar. Also, the cage needed to be out of the way for entry and exit. The time allotted for on-track pace car activities was limited, and PPG wanted to have as many guests experience the ride of a lifetime as possible. Climbing through a myriad of roll-cage tubes was not an option. The cage was hardly noticeable in the headliner.>>

crap, i never new there was a roll cage in it. when my friend took me for a ride in it years ago, it never felt small inside. they were right when they said transparent! as for the switches, i had a pic of them on another pace car post, one is for the siren, lights, and i believe to stop the engine in an emergency situation. i'll have to try to find those pics again.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM

Don't know about a roll cage but I certainly am aware of this...

Liberalism is a disease. When you can stare at facts and ignore them anyway, you have it. Good point!

Really need to get the word out to warn America!

Keith