How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Re: Memory dump of ECU

Phil,

I just dumped my ROM file using the Polaris tool, took about 45Min...
*EDIT2* I'm a numpty.. went back a few pages in the thread and caught up to what i hadn't read the last few months.. found the definition table for rom raider there. Many thanks for doing all the hard work Phil! Much appreciated.
*EDIT2*

*EDIT* Oh, forgot to ask, with eavesdropping I take it you require access to subaru's own SSM cartridge system and then make it ask for info from every feature it has? How do you propose getting hold of one? Do you know anyone who is willing to share it? I thought they were a tad expensive last time I saw one for sale.. £2K!!
*EDIT*

*EDIT3*
I stuffed the ecu_defs.xml file into the C:\Program Files\RomRaider folder. I started the program and went to ECU Definitions, ECU Definitions Manager, Pressed Add, selected the file, hit ok, hit save and hit apply.

I then tried to load the Rom file and it said ECU Definition Not found.
I tried your Checksum thing, fired it up in Cmd prompt and checked a copy of the original Hex file I got with the -w function.
Tried this in romraider, same error again.
Maybe my ECU is speaking in Hebrew rather than Japanese?
Not sure what to do now.. Should I dump it again and see? Is the definitions file specific for the SVX rather than universal SSM, supporting the N/A EJ20 Legacy?
*EDIT3*

I really think I need to read a book on ECU's, Binary, Hex, Engine managment etc. I want to learn!

Cheers,
Daniel.

Last edited by Mrdjc; 01-13-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Daniel,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdjc View Post
Is the definitions file specific for the SVX rather than universal SSM, supporting the N/A EJ20 Legacy?
Yes. The definitions are SVX specific. RomRaider selects which definition to use based on the ROM ID. The error message you are getting means that it can't find a section in the definitions file to match your ROM ID. In order to use RomRaider with your ECU, you need to locate the maps in your ROM, figure out how to decode them and then write a defintion for them. I'm sure there are people in the tuner community who have already done this, but unfortunately they are not sharing the information.
Quote:
with eavesdropping I take it you require access to subaru's own SSM cartridge system and then make it ask for info from every feature it has? How do you propose getting hold of one? Do you know anyone who is willing to share it? I thought they were a tad expensive last time I saw one for sale.. £2K!!
Yes that is how it works. Getting hold of a select monitor is the problem. Fortunately for the SVX community, TomsSVX had access to a select monitor with the SVX cartridge. If you are lucky you may find a Subaru Mechanic who will lend you one for a couple of hours. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Quote:
I'm a numpty..
I tried your Checksum thing, fired it up in Cmd prompt and checked a copy of the original Hex file I got with the -w function.
The checksum program is designed for the SVX ECU and similar. It will almost certainly report a bad checksum on files from other ECUs. If you run it with the -w option on the wrong type of file then it will corrupt the file. I should probably have put a strongly worded warning in the program, but it was just something I knocked together in 5 minutes for my own use. It was never designed for "numptys".
Quote:
I really think I need to read a book on ECU's, Binary, Hex, Engine managment etc. I want to learn!
Yeah. This stuff is tough to learn. I'm a beginner myself but I'm sharing what I know in the hope of learning more. The best resource I have found is a Nissan ECU hacking forum at http://eccs.hybridka.com.

There is a guy called Brett (log1call) on the SubieSmart forum http://www.subiesmart.com/forum who has just downloaded the ROM from his 1990 EJ20 Legacy. Rom ID 703315. Is that the same one that you have? He's a beginner at this too, so I'm going to try and explain to him how to get started with it. You are welcome to join the discussion.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 01-14-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Phil & Belha

Shane, the JDash guy, has written a cool new version that will run on a mobile phone.

At the moment it only works for OBD2, but he is promising to support SSM at some point in the future. I think the problem is that he doesn't have access to an OBD1 subaru to use for developing and testing the code.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97625
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Hi Daniel,
f you run it with the -w option on the wrong type of file then it will corrupt the file. I should probably have put a strongly worded warning in the program, but it was just something I knocked together in 5 minutes for my own use. It was never designed for "numptys".
So I was correct in calling myself a numpty then!
See what happens when you give kids a toy..
Luckily I did it on a copy, I still have my original so I should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha;582172
There is a guy called Brett (log1call) on the SubieSmart forum [url
http://www.subiesmart.com/forum[/url] who has just downloaded the ROM from his 1990 EJ20 Legacy. Rom ID 703315. Is that the same one that you have? He's a beginner at this too, so I'm going to try and explain to him how to get started with it. You are welcome to join the discussion.
Thanks for the link,
I'll jump on the bandwagon and get stuck in too.

There's a miniature goldmine to be exploited, consisting of the BD5/BG5 legacy comunity. As well as BC5 too. BG7 and BD/BG9 will be another kettle of fish though, but once you've mastered the way of the ECU Zen.. Should be fairly straightforward.

I've got my Rom ID written down somewhere, but VWRX doesn't pull it up, neither does the Polaris software.. I think Evoscan did though.

I can't quite recall, I think it starts with 732, but its definately the same Mitsubishi M37791 CPU as I had a peek inside.
*EDIT* Found the ID, its 742FA1 *EDIT*

Thanks for your help once again, I think you deserve a nobel prize.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Last edited by Mrdjc; 01-14-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Phil & Belha

I found some new software on a Japanese site.

http://ssm.nextfoods.jp/

It's called WinSSM and from what I can make out, it's something like VWRX or Evoscan. The site shows it being used on an OBD2 STi. As I can't read Japanese, I can't tell if it's possible to make it work on an OBD2 SVX or even an OBD1 car.

There seems to be a hardware products as well. There is a video of it in operation.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Phil & Belha

Also, somebody just posted on SubieSmart the procedure for reflashing JECS OBD2 ECUs. So that might open up a few new possibilities once I get my hands on one.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 02-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

That looks a very interesting piece of kit Phil.

Wonder how much it costs?

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
That looks a very interesting piece of kit Phil.

Wonder how much it costs?

Dunno what that hardware thing costs, but I just discovered what the software is for. Check this out.

http://ssm.nextfoods.jp/index.php?DemoMovie%2F7

The software is a datalogger like the VWRX software but it connect to a USB video camera, and overlays the parameters on the video.

very cool.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

That is seriously cool!

So, taking that as a starting point would it be reasonable to presume their software takes raw data from the OBD II connections, translates it to something like mpeg4, and this can then be overlaid on a video as per the clip, or else displayed on an in-car video screen?

That seems to be the answer to many a prayer.

[ Well, with the notable exception of instrument manufacturers, they will not be able to sell so many of those stupid A pillar pod things ]

Bring it on.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
That is seriously cool!

So, taking that as a starting point would it be reasonable to presume their software takes raw data from the OBD II connections, translates it to something like mpeg4, and this can then be overlaid on a video as per the clip, or else displayed on an in-car video screen?

That seems to be the answer to many a prayer.

[ Well, with the notable exception of instrument manufacturers, they will not be able to sell so many of those stupid A pillar pod things ]

Bring it on.

Yeah that's what it does. There's a howto if you paste this URL into the " language tools".

http://ssm.nextfoods.jp/index.php?HowToUse%2F20080510
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Very interesting. They're showing two different things...

The WinSSM "How To Use" page describes the WinSSM data logging software. An (off-the-shelf?) ODB2-to-USB adapter connects to a laptop running the software. Video is captured from a USB web cam. The WinSSM software has the ability to overlay graphic representations of the data onto the camera video, displaying that on the laptop's screen.

Further down, the author mentions displaying the data graphically on an in-dash screen (but the example no longer shows it overlaid on video from a web cam). He mentions that your laptop would require an NTSC video output to connect to an in-dash (or sun visor, or rear view mirror) LCD display.

The G-SSM65 circuit board is shown on a different web page. It appears that its main purpose is to collect engine data from the car's ODB2 port plus an onboard accelerometer, and feed the data to the laptop via an RS-232 serial port for logging (optionally through a serial-to-USB converter, if your laptop lacks a serial port).

The board connects to the car's ODB2 port via the 3.5mm jack (which also provides +12V DC to power the board).

The large IC is a PIC24FJ64GA002 microcontroller. The RS-232 conversion is handled by a MAX-232 IC (16-pin, adjacent to the DB-9 serial connector). The other two 8-pin ICs are an 8K byte EEPROM (AT24C64B), and a 3-axis accelerometer (KXM52-1050).

6-pin connector J4 is for temporarily attaching a device to reprogram the PIC.

But the board also somehow provides an NTSC video output. Since there are no other ICs that could handle this function, I can only conclude that the microcontroller is doing this in software! The examples on the web page show the output as lines of plain text and simple graphics (all monochrome), so this isn't out of the realm of possibility. It looks to be 32 characters wide x 10 lines tall. But it still sounds like it would take lots of CPU time to make it work.

Obviously, the WinSSM software running on the laptop is able to create slightly nicer and more colorful graphics to display the data.

As best I can tell, the "GT-R" data display is something different entirely — not from the WinSSM software (and definitely not from the G-SSM65 board). Perhaps that's some existing commercial car data monitor, and an example of a slicker look that he'd like the WinSSM to be able to match?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Phil, what do you need out of the OBDII ECM?? I thought you told me not to bother sending it

Tom
Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Phil, what do you need out of the OBDII ECM?? I thought you told me not to bother sending it

Tom
Yeah. I did.

All the work I've done on OBD1 has been with the ECU installed in the car. As I can't do that with OBD2, I would have to get make a harness to wire it up on the bench. I don't have the time to do that at present.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

gotcha. ok

Tom
Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Yeah. I did.

All the work I've done on OBD1 has been with the ECU installed in the car. As I can't do that with OBD2, I would have to get make a harness to wire it up on the bench. I don't have the time to do that at present.
Well Phil

You could always go out and buy a OBD II car, instead of all those Japanese yokes you keep collecting!

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl