Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Davestone
Reupholstering

Reupholstering Has anyone gotten their seats reupholstered? I don't like the cloth seats in my 94 L model. If its cheap enough I was thinking of getting a black leather, or fake leather material. Any ideas?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
planetsvx.com sells leather kits.... I have heard good results from them as well.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Well depending on your definition of "cheap" this is the top option IMO:

Check out Motorsports Warehouse for this option.

If you want to spend less than the $800 or so that will run you (not including install), you can seek out someone selling their stock leather seat covers. You could probably get those for around $100 for good condition ones. Again, you still have to take into account install somehow.

A third option would be to find a local shop that would just take the car and reupholster the seats for you. I have no idea how much that would cost and I don't know anyone that has done it. I would imagine more than Motorsport Warehouse because a new shop would have to start from scratch with the patterns and everything. Plus you'd be getting install included.

Changing the covers yourself is difficult and time consuming, but not impossible. Several of us have done it now and there is a how-to on this. I believe I was the first one on the Network to ever attempt this and it took like 8 hours per seat but then I thought up the zip tie idea and passed that along so the next guy that actually wrote the how-to did it in half the time. Not trying to scare you, but you can save a lot of money doing it yourself.

Another option would be to find the entire seats from a LSL/Lsi. I'm assuming if you have cloth you don't have power driver's seat, but I believe ALL SVXes already come wired for it. So a power leather driver's seat would be plug and play for you - connect the plugs and fasten 4 bolts down and you have leather AND power. You'd have to find a local source though - these seats are very heavy and bulky and shipping would drive the price up too much.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...