Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 AM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy
CD Player question

My LS-L has the orignal cd player in it. When I play an official cd it works fine but when I put in a burnt cd in it some times it takes a while for it to load and sometimes when I switch to the next track it picks a different track and starts to play in the middle of a different track. (It doesn't skip) I really don't want to get a new radio and or cd player. I like the stock look. The cds I play are good quality cds and freshly burnt and use a good program. Is there anyway of cleaning the lens or replacing the lens. Thanks

P.S. I already searched for this topic
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy View Post
My LS-L has the orignal cd player in it. When I play an official cd it works fine but when I put in a burnt cd in it some times it takes a while for it to load and sometimes when I switch to the next track it picks a different track and starts to play in the middle of a different track. (It doesn't skip) I really don't want to get a new radio and or cd player. I like the stock look. The cds I play are good quality cds and freshly burnt and use a good program. Is there anyway of cleaning the lens or replacing the lens. Thanks

P.S. I already searched for this topic
Are they colored disk...mine won't play a black CDR disk, but plays a "silver" one fine.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm always skeptical about paying more for brand names or "premium" products but have found that good "music" quality CD blanks track better on mine than dollar-a-dozen, general purpose discs. Last time I tried using a cheapo disc it wouldn't track at all, but I burned a Maxell 700mb Music disc and it plays just fine.

Also, slowing the "record" rate of your software might help a bit.

I've used a lens cleaner disc but can't tell any difference.

dcb
Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes the CD's are silver and they work perfect in my cousins 2006 nissan cd player. Just in the my svx they don't play right. And I also have tryed maxual and sony. But the ones I'm currently using is Imation. They all work fine in my cousins car and my boom box. I didn't know you can ajust the burn time. I'll try that next time. And that cd cleaning disc doesn't make a difference. Is there any other way to clean or replace the lens. Thanks guys

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SubaruSVXCrazy; 09-25-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Your laser's tired. You have a 15 year old CD player, cut it some slack lol.

Also the way the cd player works, the arms that fit around the cd to make it spin, might be slipping, so the player doesn't know where to start.

If you're up to it, pull the player out, clean the laser, maybe replace it (if you know how) and tighten any little screws you find here or there. My CD player did the EXACT same things you mentioned, so I serviced it.

I used to work at an arcade, and modern games use discs, since they run continuously for days at a time, we'd regularly fix 'em up. Bout once a month. Tekken was a big one.

If you don't feel comfortable taking the unit apart, try getting a lens cleaner disc. I'm not sure how well it'll work with a front loader, but hey it's worth a try.

One final thing, burned CDs may not work well because, face it, how often did people play burned CDs in 1992?

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 09-25-2007, 08:48 PM

"One final thing, burned CDs may not work well because, face it, how often did people play burned CDs in 1992? "

Thats true. I guess then I'll try the disc thing and if that does't work then I'll try to take out the lens. I also heard if you use alchol and a Q-tip on the lens that works also. Is that true or should I just replace it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Quote:
"One final thing, burned CDs may not work well because, face it, how often did people play burned CDs in 1992? "

Thats true. I guess then I'll try the disc thing and if that does't work then I'll try to take out the lens. I also heard if you use alchol and a Q-tip on the lens that works also. Is that true or should I just replace it?
Yeah that's fine too.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Quote:

Yeah considering back then a 1x burner was about $1200 (I have a 4x from 1994 that's SCSI, has a built in hard drive that's used as a buffer, since most computers back then couldn't keep up with the data rate) and discs were 8 bucks a pop.. (I remember my first burner, 4x write, 2x RW, $150 on sale at staples, about 1999... lol Still have it, still works.... (But flash forward to 2004 and I got a SuperMulti (DVD +/- R/RW + DVD-RAM) LG burner for $50 off ebay)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I'm always skeptical about paying more for brand names or "premium" products but have found that good "music" quality CD blanks track better on mine than dollar-a-dozen, general purpose discs. Last time I tried using a cheapo disc it wouldn't track at all, but I burned a Maxell 700mb Music disc and it plays just fine.

Also, slowing the "record" rate of your software might help a bit.

I've used a lens cleaner disc but can't tell any difference.

dcb
I used to distribute computer supplies. There is no physical difference between "music" cd's and "data" cd's. The music ones have a copy encryption code on them which must be there in order for them to work in the dedicated burners attached to hi-fi systems.

In the early days (read 90's) there were compatibility problems with many car cd players (particularly Sony), some home cd players and burned cd's . The problem is in the software code of the player. They are just set up to a different standerd for tolerance and error correction. The best way to get arround the issue then was to burn at 1x or 2x but still many brands of cd would not work. The early Maxell's (4x, 8x and 16x) were particularly bad.

Borrow a few diff. brands from your friends to see if they play ok, then burn one of those brands. If they still don't work either your burner or your panasonic may be out of alignment.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
There are plenty of basic aftermarket cd players that most people would never know weren't OEM. Why not just replace it?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
I used to distribute computer supplies. There is no physical difference between "music" cd's and "data" cd's.
That doesn't surprise me. Must be a brand/manufacturing thing, then, or one heck of a coincidence. I haven't found a sure-thing, but the cheapest discs seem to have the most trouble tracking. And a disc that plays reliably in my teal SVX may be promptly spit-out by the silver.

New factory-original CD players are apparently still available from Subaru for (ah-hem) approximately $600.

dcb
Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
I'm having the same problem with all 3 of my 92's. None of them will play a burned CD and you never know if its going to play a factory one or not.
Like its been said before, its a 15yr old CD player and the encoding has changed. If I had a 15yr old CD, it would probably play it fine
Theres lots of double din decks on ebay, I plan on finding something I can plug my MP3 player into for my DD.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 AM

I think the problem is more a function of age and wear on the machine, not so much that the technology has changed. The stock player in my teal SVX (which I bought used from a member here) plays discs of every vintage and flavor without trouble. The original unit got to where it wouldn't track anything.

I've had home stereo CD players progressively fail, too. Don't know what it is that goes bad over time, but they just get to where they won't track a disc correctly.

dcb
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
My 91 Legacy Turbo has a factory CD player in it (I imagine it's the same unit as the SVX) and it had a TDK CD-R in it that played fine lol (I love when cars come with things..)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta