How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Its a Classic!

Problem starting

Well it's time that I call on the help of others to get me past this electrical issue. I have been having trouble getting the Svx to start properly due to what appears to be an ignition problem of sorts.
I am getting sporadic spark to some cylinders. I have had all the coils and plugs out of the car grounded and watched as I cranked the engine and 2-5 of the coils have sparked in correct sequence. Problem is sometimes they don't spark at all and when they all spark they have a weak orange colored spark. All coils are new and sometimes I crank the car over and get 0 spark from any of the coils....sometimes I get weak spark from all of them. I have fuel pressure and to the best of my knowledge my crank and cam sensors are in good order. I have a select monitor that is not throwing codes. And I am positive my timing is correct. I have a spare ecu that I have already swapped with no change whatsoever. The main relay is recieveing proper voltage and ground at all terminals. Really I need to find out why coils are not getting proper voltage or signal to fire....at least that's what I'm thinking. Any and all insight would be appreciated.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Problem starting

Ignitor?

Tom
Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Its a Classic!

That's what I'm thinking is a deff possibility. I have one being shipped to me now but I don't have much faith. I figured ignitor would be a work or doesn't type of thing. Any way to test ignitor for voltage signal sent to the coilpack?
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I vote ignitor.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:06 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Load test your wiring if you are unsure. Wiggle harnesses as you watch resistance of circuit. Definitely check connections for pin tension and corrosion.

Ton
Old 12-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Its a Classic!

Ok so it is not the ignitor. I swapped the ignitor.and no go so I have done some more digging . I had a weak engine ground but unfortunately that is not the root cause. I have tested my cam and crank sensors to the best of my ability and they all have a fluctuating ac voltage of .1 to .5 v. And the harness from ecu to sensors is showing 0 ohm resistance My timing is perfect.

Now for the mystery....the output signal from the ecu to the ignitor on terminals B62 no. 7,8,9,10,16,21 somewhere between .16 and .2 volts not the 5v I should be seeing while cranking the engine. I have a spare ecu and it shows identical values. Occasionally I will see the output voltage jump to .35v which seems to be enough to give a very weak spark. Otherwise there is no spark. I also have spare cam and crank sensors all of which I have swapped out. Anyone know what else could cause such a poor ignition signal voltage or is this not my problem at all and simply a typo in the fsm.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Registered SVX

Ill throw this out since it happened to me, and its so simple, its easy to overlook:
Try resetting the security module. If it has been tripped it will prevent the car from starting.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Its a Classic!

Its not the security module. I have begun pulling fuses and am going to try to continue by seeing if any circuit or device seems to alter the output signal voltage from the ecu as I'm kind of out of ideas. I'm just not sure if I should be seeing a true 5v from the ecu to ignitor. That's what I'm looking for at this point but it seems to raise from .016v with key on engine off to .150 to .250v while cranking.