Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Mid Engine SVX concept.

I don't see any reason you couldn't keep the abs sensor as long at the wires were lengthened.

and the answer the question about why race cars have a lot of sidewall is because it lets the tire conform to the road surface and absorb bumps better.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM

I suppose "Wide" is a relative term when it comes to tires. Im just saying that there is a point when you either stop gaining traction or begin to loose it all together with width. Akerman angle is a big issue with wide tires in the front of the car and Flotation in the rear. AWD cars tend to be a different situation all together with tires when in comparison to fwd and rwd. heh.. Sorry, man. Its is bloody confusing. :P

Question for ya: Are you using an aftermarket ABS system or sticking with the SVX's abs? I know that the stock abs tends to be a bit aggressive and cant be reprogrammed. You can get programmable abs boxes that are more of an Anti-flatspot system then anything else. They can be set to pulse only the tire that's locking up. Not all 4 at the same time.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Question for ya: Are you using an aftermarket ABS system or sticking with the SVX's abs? I know that the stock abs tends to be a bit aggressive and cant be reprogrammed. You can get programmable abs boxes that are more of an Anti-flatspot system then anything else. They can be set to pulse only the tire that's locking up. Not all 4 at the same time.
I was going to use the standard SVX ABS, not sure what you mean about all 4 out the same time. I have been in mud with my car and the ABS only works on each wheel as needed.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Hmm. Perhaps USDM cars have a different abs computer. It drives me nuts to the point of just pulling the fuse. With my 92, when one wheel started to slip, the abs would kick in and the pedal would go the floor. All four wheels would modulate and braking would go to crap. Drove me crazy on autocross and on dirt roads. Nearly caused me to crash into a wall at one autocross event. Heavy breaking for a tight right hand corner. Passenger front locked up for a moment, then the abs kicked in. Pedal to the floor and my heavy breaking was all but gone. There was no way to make the corner now as I was no longer scrubbing off speed at the rate needed. I had to get off the brakes and mash the throttle to regain control and flick it past the wall that was now infront of me.
I never delved crazy deep into the subject, but from my experiences with it (my 92 svx) when one tire slipped, the abs kicked in and all the wheels began to modulate.
In all honesty, I would love to know if non usdm cars have a different abs computer.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 AM

Okay bit of a update,
I am trying to widen the back of the car new tyres are 275 r35 20in. I want to be able to go to 335 so the configuration of the back suspenion is STI 13in disc with NASCAR Calipers (big mothers) and to fit it I have had to use a 20mm wheel spacer, So currently from the outside of tyre to tyre on the back its 1.8m wide, really need to have 1.9 of clearance.
Other factor is that the large tyre dia needs to go high enough into the wheel well during bump so some mods are required inside the wheel well to increase the cleariance.

What would make it easier if I could find a air bag to pump up and force the guard out, haven't found it yet. here are some shoots of the cuts I have made. The black line is were I am thinking of cutting the side for the air scoop to get air into the engine and the possiable intercoolers.
Tony

1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM

Registered SVX

Is that wide of a tire really necessary? with the extra weight over the back i would think that would be enough to keep traction on a 235 or 245.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 AM

If I go down the path Bazza suggests I will need all the grip I can get to get the power down.
Tony
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Tony have a look at how these blokes have done it, they seem to have seen the same problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q9XVV5lN8c

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

They should rename the video "How to build a car around a massive engine"

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM

Thats pretty cool Harvey, luck I don't have to add that much to the body. Its amazing how good they make it look.
Tony
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Thats pretty cool Harvey, luck I don't have to add that much to the body. Its amazing how good they make it look.
Tony
I'm almost willing to say the folks doing this work also work at the Ferrari body shop

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM

The best airbag method I have found so far is simply a deflated basket ball. Squish it into what ever area you need to push, then inflate it. Easy peasy. And its not likely to be cut by sheet metal as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
The best airbag method I have found so far is simply a deflated basket ball. Squish it into what ever area you need to push, then inflate it. Easy peasy. And its not likely to be cut by sheet metal as well.
That's a neat idea thanks.
Tony
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 AM

Hi All,
Okay haven't been siting on my but just been slack posting, I have got my first hub assembly close to final and the CNC program complete. I have 4 pistion Wilwood brake calipers, when I say 4 pistion I should make the point that they have a bigger piston area of even the 6 piston version. These units were designed for endurance racing .
Disc are 330mm or 13in from a late model STI, remember this is the rear hub.

Also sorting out the drive by wire just brought a control card that should drive the BMW throttle actuator. Can go into it later but in chases the peddle voltage by checking the feed back from the actuator.

Any wahy heres a few images

Tony
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,

Somehow I don't think you're going to have to worry about brake fade

So, do you feel you've got the rear suspension all sorted out now?

Cheers,
Bill

My Locker