SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
I own a car that is very threatening to some Subaru owners.

oh crap! i needed a good laugh!
i think what you really like to do is try to floss your big hp around, and the fact you bought the car for $15k, and added some mods and you are fastAr that cars costing more. guess what? no one really cares. there is more to life than straight-line speed. some like the combination of utility, comfort, a usable back seat, AWD for all-year driving, etc.

let me ask you this: do you regularly take the car to a track or dragstrip? if not, what use do you get out of 500 (600?) hp? it seems like you souped up your car "just to soup it up".

Quote:
Even the owners of the WS6's archenemy, the Supercharged SVT Cobra (at SVTForums), are not near as up-in-arms in an LS1 owner's presence as the members of this board and NASIOC are.
actually, cars do not have "archenemys" - its the idiot drivers that do.

Quote:
It could be because of the age difference (most of the SC Cobra owners are late twenties and older, while most STi owners seem to be under 25). I dunno, but it's quite fascinating. I conduct myself similarly on the other sites, and while I certainly come across immaturity, I don't meet the blatant disregard for reality on the other sites that I do here and on NASIOC.
there are plenty of young idiots on any site (i'm SUUUURE there aren't any on LS1TECH.com, right? ), but a lot of NASIOC members (and most of the moderators) don't even own a Subaru, or own a different make as well. i'm sure you'll find the young idiots at NASIOC take way more of a thrashing than an owner of a different car ever would, unless of course you act like a complete tool over there.

one more thing: why do you only have 188 posts at LS1TECH.com, but 1154 here? <cough> troll <cough>

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 01-26-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
oh crap! i needed a good laugh!
i think what you really like to do is try to floss your big hp around, and the fact you bought the car for $15k, and added some mods and you are fastAr that cars costing more. guess what? no one really cares.
Glad I could help. I have no need to really talk about my car here because it's fairly irrelevant. If you cared to pay attention as much as you care to be a pian in the ass, you'd realize that I rarely even mention MY OWN car. Just the company that made it.

Quote:
there is more to life than straight-line speed. some like the combination of utility, comfort, a usable back seat, AWD for all-year driving, etc.
More power to ya. I used to have that and gave it up for straight-line-speed. I do miss it sometimes, but then I just step on the gas and forget about it. Plus I have my truck now so it all works out. I've never argued against this idea so why did you feel the need to bring it up?

Quote:
let me ask you this: do you regularly take the car to a track or dragstrip? if not, what use do you get out of 500 (600?) hp? it seems like you souped up your car "just to soup it up".
You hit the nail on the head buddy. I'm not a racer, even though I have significant racing experience. For me it's the thrill of the project. Modifications for the sake of modification. Probably another thing you won't understand.

Quote:
actually, cars do not have "archenemys" - its the idiot drivers that do.
You dissapoint me, I thought you were a car guy.

Quote:
one more thing: why do you only have 188 posts at LS1TECH.com, but 1154 here? <cough> troll <cough>
You were smart enough to figure that out, but not smart enough to notice the THREE YEAR DIFFERENCE in membership time. Again, i'm dissapointed.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Hater

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head buddy. I'm not a racer, even though I have significant racing experience. For me it's the thrill of the project. Modifications for the sake of modification. Probably another thing you won't understand.
oh, i understand, but i do modifications that are reasonable and make sense. i could slap a giant turbo in the car, and put a super stiff coil-over adjustable suspension in, but that's kinda dumb if it will never see the track.

Quote:
You dissapoint me, I thought you were a car guy.
i am, but i don't have "rivalrys" with other cars , or try to (or think that i) "intimidate" other cars. i enjoy my car. i buy cars because *i* like the way they look and feel. if i wanted to impress the highschool kids i'd buy a Corvette or some Saleen Mustang or something, but i consider those very boring.

Quote:
You were smart enough to figure that out, but not smart enough to notice the THREE YEAR DIFFERENCE in membership time. Again, i'm dissapointed.
you joined that site over two years ago, before you even bought your WS6 - i would think you'd have more to discuss about your Trans-Am, but argueing on a Subaru forum clearly is more important.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Cool

Quote:
Show me the last thread I started about ANYTHING. The last I can remember was the Z06 photos, that was over a year ago, and no one complained. Geez, get your facts straight, man. .
I was speaking in general on the importance of some of the threads you start.

Quote:
I'm not so crazy as to think that a modded GTA couldn't take a stock LS1. Sure. But there's no way in hell a STOCK GTA did it. There's at least one other LS1 owner on this site who would attest to that.
Trust me, It wasn't stock. ran mid 13's all day long with mainly bolt ons.
Quote:
I'm not like every other "LS1 guy" and I don't expect to be treated that way. just as I don't assume EVERYONE on this site is as immature as some of the members I have come across. I let you decide how you will be treated based on how you come at me. Think about that.
Now how am I to believe your not like other LS1 guys when for some sort of reason, Everyone wants you to leave? Are you telling me these people that I conversate with on a daily basis and have had no problems with a single one of them just pick you out of the bunch and want you to leave? I doubt it highly. You obviously have opened your piehole to one to many people about god knows what kind of dumb crap and now they want you to simply sit back and have a nice warm cup of shut the hell up anywhere but here.

Last edited by Budfreak; 01-26-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Wow. Just...um...wow. You don't have to talk to me, I sure as hell have given up talking AT you.

Fixed your post. WHY ARE YOU HERE?

As for a mature conversation. You wouldn't know one if jaws delivered it to your hind quarter. Before you, believe it or not 99% of all conversations here were mature. Since you've arrived you've sent many away with your inmature, insane, idiotic, unfounded arguments.

When you finally do realize that no one here gives a crap about YOU (most of us have nothing against the cars you own, or every other owner of them in the world for that matter), YOU on the other hand ARE NOT WANTED HERE AS YOU'VE PROVED TIME AND TIME AGAIN YOU AREN'T WORTHY OF HOLDING A REAL CONVERSATION WITHOUT BASHING A CONTRIBUTING MEMBER SO UNTIL YOU LEAVE EVERY POST YOU MAKE WILL SOON BE FOLLOWED BY THIS SIMPLE QUESTION....

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?

Last edited by benebob; 01-26-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Maybe you should've had you're act together when buying a used car. One of my bearings finally went at 145k, not bad for a car let alone a limited production sports car.
No, no, I had my act together. It's definitely Subaru's fault and crappy engineering that and poor customer service that made that wheel bearing go out. I mean, they should have, like, checked and inspected every used Subaru that's on the market right now for that kind of thing, duh!

That's great that you got 145k out of your wheel bearings, but I had to replace them twice in three years. And I'm sure other members have had similar problems. You can't deny that the SVX as a design had wheel bearing issues. It's not just a conspiracy by a large number of disgruntled SVX owners to defame the SVX; it's a real problem. And a "limited production sports car" (I use the term loosely, since I've always seen the SVX as a grand tourer) should have had more engineering analysis and less problems, although you seem to suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Sure you might have had an issue with an 80 Corolla but I'd suspect you would've had the same issue with an 80 Seville as well.

As for the Contour. It wasn't a bad car (or at least platform). Don't worry though as Bill Ford said they will no longer be producing vehicles that people don't want.
Well, the Seville must obviously be a pile, too.

I'm starting to wonder whether you even understood what I was conveying in my original post. Let me put it more bluntly.

I could care less what your anecdotal experience has told you. Your individual bad experiences with GM doesn't mean that their whole line is a pile. They're far from perfect machines, and a large number of people can attest to that, but your individual opinion DOES NOT MATTER. Just like my wheel bearing problems. I'm not going to base my opinion of the SVX, much less Subaru's whole line, on just one problem. I could have easily called my SVX a rolling junkyard because of that problem, but I didn't. I could have looked at the people having tranny problems and say the SVX is junk. I didn't. I simply recognize that the SVX has certain strengths and certain weaknesses, like any other car. The RX-7 is a moving work of art, from the body lines to the rotary engine. The fact that the apex seals go regularly on the Wankel does not significantly detract from the RX-7 as an overall package. It's simply a weakness that needs to be acknowledged and either rectified or lived with.

Quote:
As for the snakes, they're just here on loan until Shadow realizes that he should just leave for good.
I figured Shadow might have started with the snakes, and that there might be some personal history which isn't obvious in this discussion, but obviously there isn't. I can't see any sane person blabbering at the mouth as badly as you if there wasn't a serious history behind it.

I'm starting to think you're even more of a Subaru fAnB0i than Shadow is for GM. And at least Shadow's got some method to his madness. Your SVX isn't made by the hand of God, and neither is his F-Body, but he seems a little more willing to accept that than you.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Bimmerforums is an interesting one. It's not like it used to be, there's alot of internal turmoil there caused by former M3 owners who defected and bought a GTO (yes there were ALOT of them) for it's similar styling (which is why I always say they should have just called it the G8 and lived off BMW defectors), similiar handling, nicer interior and more power. Now they fight amongst themselves.
You mean, by "ALOT", all five of them? Something like 11k GTOs were sold in 2004. Not exactly a hot seller. and that was with deep discounting after the first few months, when dealers realized they couldn't get them off the lot, period.

Not saying it's a bad car, but it looks to be going the way of the SVX marketing- and sales-wise. And the fact that I do not expect a GTO to have "similar" handling to an M3 (unless you consider the fact that they're both IRS "similar" enough), and that the M3's interior would be VERY hard to beat. Fit and finish on the M3s I've seen have been impeccable.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Do you belong to any sites that are radically different in orientation? For example, I am a regular at LS1tech and East Coast F-body, and I also frequent LS1.com, Lateral-G.net, and Protouring.com. However, to stay up to date with the competition, I visit SVTforums.com, NASIOC, and here. I learn so much from these sites, even if it is just that the opinions of those outside the LS1 world are very very distorted in regards to the engine, the cars it is used in, and the company that makes it.
Dude, you're really asking for it with this one... Lay off a little, I can see why members would get irked with that attitude.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
No, no, I had my act together. It's definitely Subaru's fault and crappy engineering that and poor customer service that made that wheel bearing go out. I mean, they should have, like, checked and inspected every used Subaru that's on the market right now for that kind of thing, duh!

That's great that you got 145k out of your wheel bearings, but I had to replace them twice in three years. And I'm sure other members have had similar problems. You can't deny that the SVX as a design had wheel bearing issues. It's not just a conspiracy by a large number of disgruntled SVX owners to defame the SVX; it's a real problem. And a "limited production sports car" (I use the term loosely, since I've always seen the SVX as a grand tourer) should have had more engineering analysis and less problems, although you seem to suggest otherwise.

Well, the Seville must obviously be a pile, too.

I'm starting to wonder whether you even understood what I was conveying in my original post. Let me put it more bluntly.

I could care less what your anecdotal experience has told you. Your individual bad experiences with GM doesn't mean that their whole line is a pile. They're far from perfect machines, and a large number of people can attest to that, but your individual opinion DOES NOT MATTER. Just like my wheel bearing problems. I'm not going to base my opinion of the SVX, much less Subaru's whole line, on just one problem. I could have easily called my SVX a rolling junkyard because of that problem, but I didn't. I could have looked at the people having tranny problems and say the SVX is junk. I didn't. I simply recognize that the SVX has certain strengths and certain weaknesses, like any other car. The RX-7 is a moving work of art, from the body lines to the rotary engine. The fact that the apex seals go regularly on the Wankel does not significantly detract from the RX-7 as an overall package. It's simply a weakness that needs to be acknowledged and either rectified or lived with.

I figured Shadow might have started with the snakes, and that there might be some personal history which isn't obvious in this discussion, but obviously there isn't. I can't see any sane person blabbering at the mouth as badly as you if there wasn't a serious history behind it.

I'm starting to think you're even more of a Subaru fAnB0i than Shadow is for GM. And at least Shadow's got some method to his madness. Your SVX isn't made by the hand of God, and neither is his F-Body, but he seems a little more willing to accept that than you.
As for the wheel bearing issue. Yes they are slightly over stressed but no more than the heaviest car in virtually any automakers line up. IF REPLACED PROPERLY THE FIRST TIME it is rare that they continue to be an issue. Granted most Subaru shops themselves don't clean 'em right and use a hammer to put 'em in in turn ruining the hub. I know of no one who has had an issue with PROPERLY DONE wheel bearings but then most people won't admit that their mechanics didn't do it properly.

FYI our race car despite running much harder and wider than your average SVX has had no wheel bearing issues to speak of and has the originals at 150k

My experiences do matter especially when they mimic that of the GENERAL PUBLIC'S and they aren't buyinig GM anymore for various reasons most notably perceived lack of quality, incentives and a poor product line.

No history, I'm just sick of his posts as most are who no longer come to the site to contribute in a positive manor. I'm just willing to talk at his level to hopefully convince him that this board doesn't want him or his ignorance around here unless he realizes it isn't a place for such antics.

As for being a Subaru fan, yes I am. Did I ever say Subaru's were made by a god? NO, both you and Shadow did though now so maybe I'm wrong on that. I have probably driven more brands cars than anyone else here and I have a very large mix of personal likes and dislikes but I don't feel the need to spout them out here as it isn't a Triumph board. It isn't a Morgan board! It isn't a TVR board. It isn't a real Lotus board and most of all it isn't a GM board

As for your bearings. Sorry you made a bad purchase and took it to a poor place to fix it but that doesn't mean that they are the issue that everyone makes them out to be. They just need to be replaced properly the 1st time otherwise you'll be replacing them very frequently or buying new hubs which if you have another issue with 'em I'd be talking to that garage about how they plan to purchase some new hubs for it unless they followed the FSMs (including the special tool use) to a T rather than hammering 'em out and in.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Hmmmmmmm, I believe it is not the car that is threatening, but the constant reminder of it's equallity that comes across as a statement of superiority, sure, the effbody does some things quite well, as does the the SVX, differn't and for us the SVX is superrior, for you the Fbody is superrior.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
As for the wheel bearing issue. Yes they are slightly over stressed but no more than the heaviest car in virtually any automakers line up. IF REPLACED PROPERLY THE FIRST TIME it is rare that they continue to be an issue. Granted most Subaru shops themselves don't clean 'em right and use a hammer to put 'em in in turn ruining the hub. I know of no one who has had an issue with PROPERLY DONE wheel bearings but then most people won't admit that their mechanics didn't do it properly.

FYI our race car despite running much harder and wider than your average SVX has had no wheel bearing issues to speak of and has the originals at 150k

My experiences do matter especially when they mimic that of the GENERAL PUBLIC'S and they aren't buyinig GM anymore for various reasons most notably perceived lack of quality, incentives and a poor product line.

No history, I'm just sick of his posts as most are who no longer come to the site to contribute in a positive manor. I'm just willing to talk at his level to hopefully convince him that this board doesn't want him or his ignorance around here unless he realizes it isn't a place for such antics.

As for your bearings. Sorry you made a bad purchase and took it to a poor place to fix it but that doesn't mean that they are the issue that everyone makes them out to be. They just need to be replaced properly the 1st time otherwise you'll be replacing them very frequently or buying new hubs which if you have another issue with 'em I'd be talking to that garage about how they plan to purchase some new hubs for it unless they followed the FSMs (including the special tool use) to a T rather than hammering 'em out and in.
Thank you for that response. That clears up a lot of the air for me.

I will say that I believe there is a significant gap between consumers' perceived lack of quality vs. actual lack of quality for Ford and GM. Somehow, Dodge/Chrysler have magically seemed to flip this on its end, as the 300/Charger/Magnum series seems to sell well because they're perceived as having higher quality than they actually have. I base this solely on my limited experience with the 300 and Magnum (goddamn those seats are hard). The Crossfire actually seems to be well put together; unfortunately, the price reflects that.

My personal opinion is that dissent is great, as long as their argument is sound. I've learned useful info from trolls, and even more useful info just scoping out other boards.

Quote:
As for being a Subaru fan, yes I am. Did I ever say Subaru's were made by a god? NO, both you and Shadow did though now so maybe I'm wrong on that.
I doubt you said it explicitly, but it was what I inferred in your initial defense of the SVX's wheel bearings. Much like the same way many members here can infer that sense of equality/superiority from Shadow that Napa mentioned. I could easily take a couple of your comments the same way were you not to explain it further.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Hitchhikin'

Let's get back to the quote of the week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
If it ain't blown, it sucks!
I've never seen truer words in my life.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Countdown till someone calls Red SVX 92 a GM fanboi...5...4...3...2...

Now that there are two people here from the real world, what's going to happen? I'm sure we'll both just be dismissed as crazies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Hmmmmmmm, I believe it is not the car that is threatening, but the constant reminder of it's equallity that comes across as a statement of superiority, sure, the effbody does some things quite well, as does the the SVX, differn't and for us the SVX is superrior, for you the Fbody is superrior.
Yeah...no...wait...what was that again?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
Now how am I to believe your not like other LS1 guys when for some sort of reason, Everyone wants you to leave? Are you telling me these people that I conversate with on a daily basis and have had no problems with a single one of them just pick you out of the bunch and want you to leave?
Everyone? Try maybe 3 people. These are just the people who can't hold their own in an argument and resort to name calling, which of course invites me to their level and I usually go (WHY!?!). That's the part i'm stopping here. From this point on, i'm back to my old nazi-ish policy of if you can't hold a convo without personal attacks, i'm not going to be part of it.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Everyone? Try maybe 3 people. These are just the people who can't hold their own in an argument and resort to name calling, which of course invites me to their level and I usually go (WHY!?!). That's the part i'm stopping here. From this point on, i'm back to my old nazi-ish policy of if you can't hold a convo without personal attacks, i'm not going to be part of it.

Exactly, this is a place to share info, not argue, you haven't realize that and you still haven't left yet. WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?

Go argue elsewhere or shut up and wait til Reading but then again, you wouldn't go simple because you have no other reason for being here than to argue and down everybody!

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?