SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Gearshift Maps

The interface circuit boards are in. I'm waiting on components to send them out to the assembly house. My whole parts order is on hold waiting for more headers for the memory adaptors.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Just some dude.

I assembled one with components I had on hand for hand wired prototypes.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

I'm sorry to bring this down to my level but Chinese writing must be easier to understand!
I take my hat off to each of you, and if you need any brazing or gas welding or half decent turning I'm your man. I can't scrape white metal bearings to size (my 'even older' brother can though) but can degree cams in and build engines.
Without brainy buggers like you guys though running an SVX would not be an option for me. I Thank you.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Registered SVX

Michael,
What is the purpose of this circuit board?
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Just some dude.

The circuit board is an adaptor to go between the select monitor port and an ftdi ttl232r usb cable so that you can communicate with the control units from a laptop.

I'm releasing a windows application along with them to monitor control unit parameters, clear trouble codes, download firmware, modify firmware, and open and save binaries. I'm trying to make the program work well with a variety of control units so nothing is hardcoded to match the SVX ECU, TCU, etc, or any other particular control unit. Instead it uses a definitions file to tell the software the particulars it needs. It's up to the users to modify and populate the definitions files to define the things they want to watch/modify. The idea isn't that each or most users will do so; the idea is that the couple of gurus in each community will do so and then everyone else will use their definitions.

The definitions file is a microsoft excel .xls file. It can be named anything as the user is given an open file dialog box to select what *.xls file he/she wants to open as a definitions file. I suggest naming it for the control unit it is defning and the date it was last revised. The software then gets and sends data to and from the file like it is a database via ado.net. A link to an example/base to work with is at the bottom of this post. The values I have in the coms sheet should be correct for the SVX ECU, I've added the regular select monitor parameters for the SVX ECU to the parameters sheet but haven't set up the conversion functions for any of them except for the ones with signed values which I completed as examples. Value is a public property of my parameter class. C# is case sensitive so in order for your equation to work you must type Value, not value, not VALUE, not VaLuE.

Those of you who can program will note that means you will also be able to use other parameter values in your equation if you need to. I'll give you the fully qualified public property names in a bit.

I leave the rest up to the community to define. Here's the file to work with.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/definitions.xls

Last edited by longassname; 11-14-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Just some dude.

The file io is complete.

The software can load bin files and allows you to set up any offset so the bin address space matches the control unit address space no matter what size Rom you want to write it to/read it from.

It reads the definitions from a microsoft excel .xls definitions file through the jet ole provider which is part of .net which should be present on any windows 2000 or newer machine with no need for excel to be installed and it writes them as a filestream through a custom dll included in the software so again no need for excel to be installed. This was actually a lot more work than having it write csv or xml files but I figure most people would cry if they had to edit those files outside of the software and they would like to be able to edit them on machines that don't have the software installed--so hopefully worth all the time and effort I put into it. You can also view and edit the definitions in the software itself.

Now that I can get all the definitions data I need in and out of the program the way I want I can get to work on the serial io.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Just some dude.

Another note,

Just in case anyone wants to write a program to automate the export of definitions data....say directly from a select monitor cartridge bin...the named ranges in the example definitions file i provided don't matter. The header cells are what define the attribute names. No metadata is used.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Just some dude.

woops there was a typo in the original definitions example file. the parameters sheet was named Paramaters instead of Parameters. It's corrected now. I also posted a file called test.xls which is the file output from opening the definitions.xls file in the tuning software and then saving it as test.xls.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/test.xls
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Just some dude.

Making good progress on implementing serial communications. The dataflows between the definitions file, datasets, and form controls for setting up and opening the port are complete. I'm not actually using a serial port. I'm using a dll to write straight to the ftdi device driver. A nice benefit of this is that the drop box to select the com device only shows ftdi devices that are currently plugged in. Often times usb to serial cables leave com ports behind after you unplug them and make your com port list a confusing long mess; We won't have to worry about that.

DataBits can be 7 or 8
StopBits can be 1 or 2
Parity can be even or odd or none or mark or space
Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Just some dude.

I'm trying a different aproach to handling the buffer than Phil did. I think the different approach kind of follows from using an object oriented language.

I don't let the control unit keep ratting on about the last byte I read or wrote.
As soon as I get 3 bytes in the rx buffer I send a stop command. When I read a byte from the control unit I clear the buffer first so I know the 3rd byte in the buffer will always be the data from the address I want.

private byte getByteFromControlUnit(string addressString)
{
//clear buffer
do
{
ftStatus = myFtdiDevice.Purge(FTDI.FT_PURGE.FT_PURGE_RX);
Thread.Sleep(10);
ftStatus = myFtdiDevice.GetRxBytesAvailable(ref numBytesAvailable);
} while (numBytesAvailable != 0);
sendReadCommand(addressString);
ftStatus = myFtdiDevice.Read(readbyteArray, numBytesAvailable, ref numBytesRead);
return readbyteArray[2];
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Just some dude.

Coms are implemented now. I even have some screen shots for you.

The ECUtune OBD1 Control Unit to ttl232r adaptor makes it very easy to set up a loopback to test coms. Just put a wire between the tx and rx terminals on it and whalla...loop back adaptor.

I've included some tools in the software to check coms so users can do so just as easily. The read byte button initiates the regular read byte function which clears the buffer, sends a read command, waits for 3 bytes to hit the buffer, sends a stop command, and immediately pulls the byte of interest out of the buffer and moves on. This results in 1 packet being available to read and being displayed in the received packets window...though two packets were sent and two packets were received.

I also provided a button to run the same function with a 200 millisecond wait inserted before reading the buffer so both packets have time to hit it and be displayed. This allows you to see the loopback from both the commands that were sent--read, and stop.

The normal write function never waits for a response or reads the buffer so the write byte button here runs the normal write, waits 200 mS and reads the buffer. The read, write, and stop commands which make up the write routine, ie were sent, are displayed from the loopback.

Last edited by longassname; 11-18-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Just some dude.

The definition editor is complete. Pretty self explanatory. Select which sheet of definitions to edit and add or edit them. Click the button to apply any changes. Click the button to save them.

Last edited by longassname; 11-20-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Just some dude.

I did a little ui clean up: moved the text around in the coms set up group box to better indicate that everything excep the available coms device is populated by the definitions file and made the Read Byte display dissapear after writing a byte and reappear after reading a byte....since read byte is meaningless when you are writing a byte.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Just some dude.

I'm almost done with basic monitoring. I changed the bool column in the parameters table of the definitions file from Ram to Monitor. True means it will appear in the comboBoxes to select parameters to monitor. Select up to 4 parameters to monitor. I'll be adding a plot over time in the bottom of the tab.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 AM

Re: Gearshift Maps Thread Hijack

Your work may be interesting, but IMO, it doesn't belong here in this thread.
It has only marginal relationship to the transmission.
What would anyone need to monitor, in semi-real time, in the transmission that isn't immediately apparent?
Even if you have a good answer, most of the focus is on engine performance.
The transmission is secondary.
From what I've seen, no method is provided to change the Gear Shift Maps.
Regardless, putting your stuff here steps on and thereby diminishes Phil's contribution.
Please, ask the Admins to move this stuff to it's own thread.