Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-21-2003, 06:26 AM

Help!!

i brought the car in to the mechanic to get a steering rack leak fix. the two seals on the side were leaking, i think power steering fluid. since i have a warr, and they don't cover seals, the mechanic told them that the whole rack needed to be replaced, just to have it covered. the rebuilt racks come with the seals already in place, so it fixed a worn rack and two leaking seals. the car had to go to another shop to be realined. when i picked the car up from there, the steering was tight as heck...the whole car bogged on hard over right and left turns (the car jumped a bit and the engine seemed to strain) there is a hummming noise coming from under the hood. when i got back to the original shop to pay for the work, i made a compaint about it. he opened up the hood and there was powersteering fluid all over the place where you put it in, the next day i was told that it was spilled...so now i have a week then i have to drive about 3 hours high speeds for a nursing convention for school...is this car safe to drive for that? what could possibly be the problem? the mechanic said that a new rebuilt steering rack could make the steering wheel tight to turn and it may need to get worked in a bit, but it kinda feels like i have no powersteering... i could honestly care if i get stranded...gotta love AAA, but if i loose steering at like 80mph...there might be a problem, could one of you guys help me out here???

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:07 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Strange story Kelli

Can't help you much, don't know a lot about power steering.

Two things to watch for though. SVXs come with two different types of steering rack, speed sensitive for the upspec ones and rev sensitive for the lower spec. You need to be sure they ordered the right type for your car, as the speed sensitive one is electronically controlled.

Also you say there was power steering fluid all over the place. This is meant to be ATF fluid in use for the SVX, you should check they used the correct fluid. Wipe the little dipstick on a white tissue, it should be pink or red in colour.

Why was fluid all over the car? Did they overfill? If not, they may have left a pressure hose untightened, and your pump would then be losing fluid and pressure instead of turning the steering.

Get it checked before you travel is my advice.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Green1995SVX

I second everything Joe said. Make sure it's the correct rack, check the pressure hoses, and try not to travel with it like that if at all possible.

Mike
Old 02-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Just a note on the "seepage" of PS fluid (ATF), if that's what it was. Seepage around the cap is normal, at times, especially at high speeds for a period of time, or, if you "punch" it (according to the manual -- though, they didn't use the words "punch it"). It could have also been caused by the system getting rid of some trapped air.

I also agree with Joe on all points made.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-21-2003, 10:11 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: Strange story Kelli

Kelli,

Ive found through my experience to never tell a mechanic what you think may be the cuase of the problem. They will merely just do what you say, and then possibly blame you or cuase some confusion in the matter. So when you go back, tell them the power steering is not correct, and take him for a ride so he cant say its fine. Good luck and keep us filled in on whats up!
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 02-21-2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Strange story Kelli

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

Just a little FYI, Powersteering fluid is ATF fluid marketed for a dollar more
phil
And, may I add, following the old adage of "take something out and charge more for it " (no salt potato chips, low calorie beer, etc.). They removed the red dye.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-21-2003, 10:23 AM

okay then two things...

which type of power steering does my svx need...92, LS-L

and the fluid is pinkish

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:28 AM

no, the fluid to my knowledge was only on top where the cap is located...there was some fluid on the intake hose next to the windshield washer fluid box thingy...which was open... any ways, if there is a hose problem, the fluid level would go down pretty fast...i drove it about 30 miles all together, between driving it home from phillipsburg...driving back to school, driving home...then driving to the shop today...there was no difference in the fluid line on the dipstick, i checked with him...there was no more leakage on the top...so i dunno....

when he went for the ride, he said that the steering feels normal...i don't think so...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 02-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
okay then two things...

and the fluid is pinkish

Kelli
Yours should be the electronically controlled.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=347-B

Part # 34110PA030

Check your bill and see if this is the PN listed. If it is PN 34110PA010, they've placed the speed sensing type in your car.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 02-21-2003 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Pinkish is good.

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
okay then two things...

and the fluid is pinkish

Kelli
Well, in a girl's car it would be anyway.

Regular power steering fluid is brownish, so you are OK there.

The electronic steering is better, theory is it stays firm at speed. Rev sensitive one would feel a bit lighter.

Like Phil says, identify what you think is different or wrong. Does it groan on full lock, make noises that it didn't before? Go back to the mechanic and let him drive and assess. If he says it is OK, get him to do the same manouvers you did, say turn full circle in a car lot or whatever. If you get the same noises and car cutting out, ask him if he thinks that's normal.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Air head

PS Kelli

Just thought: There may be air trapped in the system from the rack swop. This should make it's way to the fluid reservoir in time, it's the highest point. It would probably be a good time to replace the O ring under the reservoir, may have been hardened or damaged, or maybe just got to that age. Cheap fix, and could not hurt.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2003, 10:53 AM

okay, just called and asked him...it isn't the electronically controlled rack.. the guys said they matched up my old on to the new one before they put it in. it was a remanufactured one and the part number wouldn't match any subie part. the guy said that he made sure that it was the correct one for the svx..."that is what your car called for" i did take him for a test drive, made the noises, he felt the pulsing from the hard over left....he said it feels a little tight "but that comes along with a new rack...your old one was warn and that is why it was easier to turn" they guarentteed that the car would be safe to drive...so i guess if i get into a bad accident...i can sue the sh!t out of them...that is if i don't die

Kelli

sorry so snotty and ticked...but that is what i feel right now...it is hard to trust a mechanic that will gamble your life on their theory of whether a car is safe or not...
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 02-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: by the way

write up something for the mechanic to sign, stating that they guarntee that everything is in order and they if it isn't that they are personally responsible if something happens. have the manager or all of them sign it. i did that to victory dodge for a grand caravan, it made them check it again for free and in the end they signed for it. if anything goes wrong they have to take the blame. document the problems you were having also. good to have it in writing. if you still don't feel safe, after they do that take your car into another subaru dealership, pay for a road test. subaru's here in atlanta charge $38 bucks to check for a few things and a road test. it'll take about an hour after you take it there in the morning. tell them what happened and see what they say. second or third opinions can be helpful. worked for the place where i got my glasses. they made me the wrong prescription and i was seeing funny. they kept saying that because my eyes haven't adjusted to it, blah, blah, blah. took it to 3 lenscrafters and 1 pearl vision, they wrote down the prescription and it was .25 more in the left eye and .25 less in the right. go figure, showed them the data and they fixed it. if not, they'd be out of business when i'm done with them.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Registered SVX
Okay, this is a bit confusing. I've been looking through my parts catalogue for the 92-94 SVX. It lists one part number for "rack."

That number is 34116PA000

The numbers I listed above, are for "Gear Assy, Steering" for the LS and LS-L Models (speed sensitive for LS, electronically controlled for LS-L), which contains ALL the goodies for a complete steering component overhaul.

When breaking down components, the "Rack" number remains the same for ALL 92-94 model years. It isn't until the component parts are broken down that the part numbers begin to change for LS and LS-L. These differentiations appear in the Gear Assy (above), Pinion and in the oil pressure feed tubing, as well as the pump assembly (obviously.)

So, I said all this, to say that, if the "Rack" is all he replaced (none of the gearing, et al), then, you, more than likely, have the correct rack in your car. It may just be bleeding some air.

We can let this info suffice until Beav comes on the scene to tell me what an ass I am for stirring up trouble with wrong part numbers.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-21-2003, 02:19 PM

ass??????ass????????asssss!!!!!!!!!

Randy, my virgin ears....should be ARSE!!! Gawd!!

Kelli

i am going to be driving it about total of 120miles or so...if the problem get worse...i am going to lend them an earful.. they verbally said that "the car is fine to drive, there is nothing wrong, and i should be in Atlantic City (over 100miles) with no problem" a verbal contract under law is just as good as a written one, especially because they test drove the car and two people told me it was "fine to drive"...i told my mom, so in the case of my untimely death...she knows the drill...i don't think i will die, just i will be very ticked off if i am stranded all the way in south Jersey cuz i trusted my mechanic...<shrug> i hate car problems!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant off...could go longer, but i have complained to everyone of my friends over the phone and i think i have gotten it all out...until later that is...
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"